X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on image for branding?

Aesthetic value, similarities with other logo's and any faults no matter how small will be greatly appreciated being brought to my attention.
    Thinking the whole line-based concept might need to be ditched altogether and look for something a little more abstract and shape orientated.

Hi FD,

What is the logo supposed to be? I can't make out any distinguishable identity? Is it an abstract "F" and "D"? If so you really need to make that more apparent. There's no real room for abstract personal logos. You want people to know what you do, not what they THINK you do.

The font for "Designs" needs to be looked at, it doesn't suit the balance of the font above it...

Also, there should be some correlation between the style of font used, and the style of the Icon to the left of it. It's using rounded curves and your font usage is very linear.
    Last edited by Sammie; 04-27-2012, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammie View Post
      Hi FD,

What is the logo mean't to be? I can't make out any distinguishable identity? Is it an abstract "F" and "D"? If so you really need to make that more apparent. There's no real room for abstract personal logos. You want people to know what you do, not what they THINK you do.

The font for "Designs" needs to be looked at, it doesn't suit the balance of the font above it...
      They appear to be the same typeface to me, just in a different weight...
      http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

I kind of see peeing into a toilet. Not trying to be funny, that's just what popped into my head :/
        http://martyng.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Sammie, the logo is referring to the initial 'FD' and was trying to outline the more important parts of the letters without really just giving it away, as a simple form of the name. Also i'll be using it with the full 'Frezzini Designs' text 95% of the time, so i'm not too fussed with legibility.

Cosmo is right with the typeface, one is medium and the other light, but i do see what your saying there Sammie, might try tweaking the type a little.

martyng, interesting point of view, didn't think of that one

Comment

I read the symbol as a backwards Q. I saw the FD eventually, but only after it was asked if that's what it was supposed to be.

In my opinion, you could take two paths from here. Either go MORE abstract so that your symbol isn't a stylized FD, but something else that represents your business (bird, frog, tree, wave, whatever), OR make it an FD that we don't need to think about so much. I think your logo is caught between the two and that is where the problems come from.

As I always say on my critiques, take mine with an extra heavy grain of salt, as I'm still a student and not a professional yet. Though I have my opinions and advice to give, I've got a ways to go myself.
            "I want to make beautiful things, even if nobody cares."--Saul Bass

Comment

The logo is giant compared to the wordmark and overpowers it. I'd make them both the same height.

Comment

honestly when I saw it i thought of the power on symbol for computers. dont ask me how, I just did.

to me your logo has what I call the "wow effect" a little hard to see at first, but then suddenly the viewer gets it and go "wow thats cool" and I believe thats whats going on here. IMO I would take your top stroke of the F and bring its bottom leg out a bit to kind of follow the contour of the lower stroke. I think it will help you stay in the area of abstract that you want to stay, while still achieving somewhat legibility.

Comment

This is one of those perplexing situations where I would think that such a mark would work
                  --it's simple, derived nearly completely from a simple circle, one simple quarter is rearranged--
                  yet it doesn't work.

I'm thinking of the "why" as we type.

perhaps if that one quarter were placed differently.

(I don't see it relating to the initials though)
                  Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

Just for the heck of it I copied that image into Photoshop and moved the "D" part of the design down so that the top of it lined up with the gap between the other pieces. It looked a LOT more like "FD" to me then.

I realize that may not be what you are going for, but I just wanted to put that out there...
                    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys, very helpful.
                      Had a first rearrange, changed the type, and tweaked the contours a little
                      Went out got some fresh air.
                      Second go was a little more complex, though i think makes it more legible with the negative space.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                      Working...
                      X