Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the images in your post from famous artists or from your stock artists?
    Can't read the text but Degas and Picasso?
    People/museums that own fine art are kinda particular about it being used for commercial purposes. As in you usually have to pay them...

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
      Are the images in your post from famous artists or from your stock artists?
      Can't read the text but Degas and Picasso?
      People/museums that own fine art are kinda particular about it being used for commercial purposes. As in you usually have to pay them...
      The Degas one (it's based on a Degas, not an actual Degas) is in our stock. The paintings in the 'yellow chapter' are reproductions. Artworks created before a certain date are public domain and, as such, legal to reproduce.

edit: As long as you don't claim they're real.

Comment

Maybe European Law is different but in the US not only do you have to deal with public domain, you have to deal with the Estate. There are several instances I've run into where the Estate ownership trumps copyright law. Some pre-1923 images and artwork are not in the Public Domain.

Do people really buy a not-quite Picasso? I do a lot of research of imagery for interpretive museums and it's not something my clients would ever want to see done. But there must be someone out there interested in forgeries. NOT something I want to deal with as an image researcher.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
          Maybe European Law is different but in the US not only do you have to deal with public domain, you have to deal with the Estate. There are several instances I've run into where the Estate ownership trumps copyright law. Some pre-1923 images and artwork are not in the Public Domain.

Do people really buy a not-quite Picasso? I do a lot of research of imagery for interpretive museums and it's not something my clients would ever want to see done. But there must be someone out there interested in forgeries. NOT something I want to deal with as an image researcher.
          There are countless sites that sell reproductions, like art.com. But I'm not the one who researched this. That was someone else here, and she assured me it would be legal. I had the same question when I started this.

But really, it's a small part of what we do. The bulk of our artwork is completely original. Picasso and Monet make for some cool imagery, catalog-design-wise. Which is why is chose to include it in the samples.

Oh, and they're reproductions, not forgeries

Comment

Love the concept!! Agree with some other suggestions on this thread...smooth out the lines, and I think you might have done this intentionally, but the corners where the lines start turning directions are really...jagged...would like to see more curvature to it so that the lines flow gracefully. Other than that, great job!

Comment

+1

cool original work, only one thing I don't like... very minor but

p2, the pink line to the left of the text box, I would like to see that the same height as the text box, not bigger. for some reason it caught my eye and bothered me.

Comment

Places that sell reproductions of fine art usually do so with arrangements through the owner of the original not by repainting it.
                But <shrug> I've just added the possibility that a client may stumble on a site like yours. Just makes my job that much more interesting.

Comment

those are repainted originals?

lol

dude, you guys are treading on some very thin ice.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                  Working...
                  X