Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personal Logo - need help deciding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Personal Logo - need help deciding

    Spent way too much time developing a personal logo, but have now filtered it down to two ( I think ). Would love some help deciding between the two - along with any critiques.

    Thank you in advance!
    Attached Files
    7
    top logo!
    71.43%
    5
    bottom logo!
    28.57%
    2

  • #2
    We need a bit more information to be able to crit it. Personal logo for what? Good luck.
    May the bridges I burn light the way.
    Portfolio

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah, a bit more info would be great. Is this for your own personal design business? What do you specialise in? Is there a specific kind of client you're wanting to attract?

      Comment


      • #4
        Oops, sorry for not including that information ><

        I'm a recent graduate with the desire to go into web design and development. This logo would be placed on self-promotional stationary (business cards and letterheads for resumes, coverletters, etc.) which will in turn be used to achieve the ultimate goal of landing that first job.

        Hope that helps, and if it doesn't I would love to answer any questions!
        Thanks!

        Comment


        • #5
          You're not ready to go into business for yourself. Get some experience working for others and then think about doing it on your own.

          That said, the one on the right looks better to me...
          http://brokenspokedesign.com

          Comment


          • #6
            The first one has potential and could use some polishing. I would slant it even more to the right for some energy. The 2nd one is totally abstract and going nowhere IMO.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm getting a wrenchy vibe from these.... makes me think auto or mechanic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by vectorzomby View Post
                I'm getting a wrenchy vibe from these.... makes me think auto or mechanic
                Me too.

                Auto parts store.

                I don't understand the notch at the top of the 'a' in the second one.
                Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cosmo View Post
                  You're not ready to go into business for yourself. Get some experience working for others and then think about doing it on your own.

                  That said, the one on the right looks better to me...
                  Yes, I agree - and that is what I'm doing This isn't stationary for a business, just self promotional (would be used for resumes and cover-letters). So in essence the logo is mainly to impress hiring managers.

                  Anyways, thank you for the feedback everybody - I really do appreciate it! Now back to the drawing board...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If you are just starting out or if you have a number of years experience it is not a good idea to start designing type. That is what you are doing here and it does not work. Design with established type designs. Combine letters, make derivatives of them, use letters to form a design but don't start designing your own font.

                    There hundreds of great, simple designs you can come up with using a lower case a and b. While you are "back at the drawing board" begin by sketching. In Futura and Avant Garde you have a "loop" lower case "a" that mirrors the shape of the lower case "b". Start there and see where it takes you. At this point you should be working in BLACK and WHITE only. Be sure you come up with a number of good designs and when you do get back to your computer, work in Illustrator.

                    What ever you come up with, make it look like you have respect for the beauty of well designed type.
                    Last edited by sully1251; 04-30-2012, 02:36 PM.
                    http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sully1251 View Post
                      If you are just starting out or if you have a number of years experience it is not a good idea to start designing type. That is what you are doing here and it does not work. Design with established type designs. Combine letters, make derivatives of them, use letters to form a design but don't start designing your own font.

                      There hundreds of great, simple designs you can come up with using a lower case a and b. While you are "back at the drawing board" begin by sketching. In Futura and Avant Garde you have a "loop" lower case "a" that mirrors the shape of the lower case "b". Start there and see where it takes you. At this point you should be working in BLACK and WHITE only. Be sure you come up with a number of good designs and when you do get back to your computer, work in Illustrator.

                      What ever you come up with, make it look like you have respect for the beauty of well designed type.
                      Thank you everyone - specifically you sully; that was a helpful critique

                      Here is what I came up with after going through that advice. I actually really liked the result, what do you guys think?
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm seeing things that would make a Victorian lady blush.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          This can't be for real.
                          http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            ya, and I was just going to suggest that logos on self-promotional material to get hired isn't necessarily going to impress the hiring manager. Especially not one that thinks he won't have your undivided attention while working for him.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Now that's an unforgettable logo.

                              Comment

                              Search

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Protagonist
                                Reply to Dealing with a Difficult Client
                                Protagonist
                                I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement. I feel like someone should write a book titled "Dealing with Nit Picky Clients." I once freelanced for a company for over 8 months....
                                Yesterday, 11:00 PM
                              • kruze
                                Transform Palette in Illustrator CS
                                kruze
                                hi. yes I know it's old so pls don't critique. my issue... draw a circle for example... want size 30mm x 30mm... when I type this into the transform palett it automatically changes the sizes to something...
                                Yesterday, 09:16 PM
                              • kruze
                                Reply to hello
                                kruze
                                Read it. thanks
                                Yesterday, 09:04 PM
                              • kruze
                                Reply to realistic fairy floss/cotton candy
                                kruze
                                hmmm... well I'm just try to help a charity. they don't know all the sizes it will be used at, hence why I wanted to use illustrator. I don't have in design. trying to do what I can with what I have.
                                Yesterday, 09:03 PM
                              • tyhoppy
                                Print Coverage Average for Printing Jobs
                                tyhoppy
                                We're using a digital printer for short-run jobs and I have created a job calculator, but not sure what coverage % for C,M,Y,K to use as an average for jobs to quote customers when I don't see the artwork...
                                Yesterday, 08:42 PM

                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X