Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• crdunsto
    Freelance Work/Volunteer Experience on Resume/Applications
    crdunsto
    I'm applying to several colleges over the break (SVA, MICA, Memphis, MCAD, SCAD, FIT, Parsons), and need advice on how to reference my freelance work from late 2012 up to now.

Name of Organization...
    Today, 03:52 AM
  • FredBouffard
    Reply to Law Firm Website Redesign
    FredBouffard
    Your website will always reflect the kind of business you offer so it is just in time that you update your client's website. I like the large header, but the text on the upper portion of it looks dated....
    Today, 01:29 AM
  • FredBouffard
    Reply to LOGO icon opinion
    FredBouffard
    Looks like a bull right but it needs a little bit of polishing and enhancements. Bulls have basically long, curved very pointed horns so you can work on that. And maybe fiercer eyes....
    Today, 01:23 AM
  • HotButton
    Comment on Anyone else only have a diploma┬┐?
    HotButton
    "but I have always been led to believe that the degree isn't as important as talent/know-how in graphic design..."

Here, without a degree, it's not likely anyone will ever know...
    Yesterday, 08:51 PM
  • misplacedVTer
    Comment on Anyone else only have a diploma┬┐?
    misplacedVTer
    We don't even consider applications that don't list a degree where I work, though even people with degrees can have terrible portfolios. Out of probably 30 applicants from our most recent opening, maybe...
    Yesterday, 08:37 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 2012 Logos

I know I would never be good enough
    so I need many comments to improve myself...
    So please, tell me all my flaws, I know I have a lot...

I like the simplicity of them, but they will be hard to critique without knowing some background information on them.

Two things I did notice right off is the Harros logo looks like a rip off of the Ferrari logo and the Harris logo looks like a rip off of the Star Wars logo. Looks like you used fonts that were created to imitate those logos. Generally, those types of fonts aren't allowed to be used in commercial work.

Remember, any time you download something for free, you need to read the license.
    "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
    -Steve Jobs

Comment

I'm assuming these are all just practice logos.

One thing that you really need to work on is the spacing between the letters (kerning). For example, the kerning in the Krasnodar, Kartason's and Taylor type is wildly inconsistent. The objective should be to achieve a visually consistent amount of spacing between each of the characters.

Comment

thanks for reminding me...
        but the brands names are all made up by me =_=
        not commercial use at all...

Comment

These are difficult to critique because we have no information on any of them. What are they logos for? What kind of companies, products? What message are you trying to communicate?

As <b> said, kerning needs work.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

- Time for an addition to the Logo Design Basics sticky: Don't use Star Wars font.

- Why does the Brand New TV logo have an antler growing out of it?

- Instead of coming up with names and logos at random, make a brief with a design problem to solve, and use that for practice.

Comment

Well don't be down on yourself you are trying to learn.

Just picking out a few things

1) Having all the letters touching is awkward and even if you wanted this affect they're not spaced evenly. Work on your kerning

2) I wouldn't used typefaces created to mimic existing identities even for practice... I just wouldn't bother having them on my computer. I don't really feel like these typefaces compliment each other much and "eating out" isn't very legible. Also You're using 3 typefaces here, most often it should be one, maybe 2 with a tagline if its necessary.

3) Not much to crit honestly. Again I'd stay away from those... playing around is a good time to get acquainted with commercial typefaces you'll be able to use in the future.

4) The kerning is really, really uneven and no reason for the sudden break in the swoosh.

and for the rest, watch your kerning, number of typefaces... I'd get acquainted with the logo design sticky. Kudos for going one color and staying away from raster effects.

Comment

Originally posted by gloriacy View Post
                I know I would never be good enough
                so I need many comments to improve myself...
                So please, tell me all my flaws, I know I have a lot...

You make a me cry.

Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

I agree, the simplicity is good. however I do see a few flaws.

the second, third, and last ones stood out to me the most.

as most have said kerning, and fonts need work. also it is hard to crit without background info, but ill go from visual perspective.

the second one along with looking like a rip from the ferrari logo, you have three different fonts. your top font, is going to give you all kinds of crap trying to print that out, and most likely at smaller sizes.

number three, again the font from star wars, no no, lucas would sue you a new one. the little dingbats on the sides of "web designer" kind of bother me too, they kind of draw attention to themselves. they dont really add anything to the layout. not to mention they are uneven.

the last one, again too many typefaces. and its starting to look realy busy. kind of reminds me of an ad from back in the letterpress days, rather than a logo.

again though, simplicity is good, and I must say if your just starting out with design, they look good for a beginner, just some common mistakes.

Comment

I'm interested to know how many of these started out in pencil and paper and how many of these were "designed" completely on the computer.

I think I know...
                    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                    Working...
                    X