Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• extraordenary
    Reply to College vs University
    extraordenary
    I don't know how it works there in New Zealand, but here in Toronto, university programs are compiled with different courses. For example, in the first semester of the first year, two of the four courses...
    Today, 01:55 AM
  • timmyjay
    Reply to My personal website
    timmyjay
    This might just be me, but writing in 3rd person feels impersonal. I guess its one of those things when there isn't a right or wrong way of doing things, just personal preference. If I was a client, I...
    Today, 01:41 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Education consultancy logo
    BillyLogan
    I'd like to see more emphasis on the Locally Global part. Maybe you can make the font style bolder. Other than that, you're logo looks great and good to go. Design's simple which makes it more professional...
    Today, 01:30 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Logo
    BillyLogan
    This is better than the first one. But there are still some things I'm concerned about. The ".co.nz" style looks dated maybe because of the font used and because you stretched it. You can put...
    Today, 01:26 AM
  • B
    Reply to Running into brick wall!
    B
    I do a whole lot of work for government agencies. Efficiency is a concept they seem to never have encountered. Their idea of getting something done is to schedule a series of meetings with dozens of people...
    Yesterday, 11:47 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple logo critique

I designed this logo for a friend. It is very simple. I was wondering what you guys thought and what I could do to make it better.

Hi Ben,

What's the significance of the Eagle? The positioning of "Web Design" is oddly placed. Try positioning it in other places and make it smaller. I'd also try positioning the Eagle in other places too, it's always good to give atleast 3 iterations of the logo. It provides more options to your prospective client on the off chance of them not liking the only one provided.

There seems to be a red stroke around "Web Design" which looks like a mistake as it's really not needed and doesn't add anything to the design.

The Eagle looks a bit stretched out? You might want to look at that also.
    Last edited by Sammie; 04-30-2012, 11:13 AM.

Comment

You see eagle. I see pigeon. A long skinny pigeon.
      Without knowing what your friend's business is and who he's aiming at for cleintele, it's simply a logo.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
        You see eagle. I see pigeon. A long skinny pigeon.
        That made me laugh, thanks PD

Looking at it now, it could be one of many birds.

Comment

Hmm, It's just a bird. They wanted some kind of flat bird in their logo, I didn't add any red to the text so IDK why you see red on the text. Where I have it now is where the web design text looked best.

Comment

Originally posted by benjamin.morgan View Post
            Hmm, It's just a bird. They wanted some kind of flat bird in their logo, I didn't add any red to the text so IDK why you see red on the text. Where I have it now is where the web design text looked best.
            There's a glow to 'web design' that matches the bird's colour. It's either a drop shadow or accidental outline, but it's definitely there.

It's a shame that you just plonked a bird in the logo. If the client asks for a flat bird it isn't supposed to be an excuse for a short cut, sticking any old bird in, but to give you something to work with. Did you try different birds and ideas? It should be a great chance to do some interesting design because the client has already given you an avenue to go down rather than you worrying if they're going to like a 'bird' concept.

And if that is where 'web design' looks best and it still doesn't look right, keep experimenting and working out ways for it to look good.
            Last edited by Roth; 04-30-2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by benjamin.morgan View Post
              Hmm, It's just a bird. They wanted some kind of flat bird in their logo,
              See this is the part of taking on a job where a designers doesn't just say "just a bird".

The fact that the client wants a bird is merely the starting point for a designer.

The designer should investigate this as the door to possible solutions--both in concept and in design.

There are thousands of bird species--and any number of them have human associations--Owls, roosters, gulls, pheasants, ducks, swifts, falcons, penguins, hummingbirds, eagles all have certain recognizability, but have also been used to symbolize abstract concepts.

Are you trying to invoke flight, wisdom, courage, speed, endurance, durability?

This is where you start thinking.

And sketching.

Or, what Roth said.
              Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

I see a gold "bird" which is giving me the feel of "class" (for lack of a better word) however thats what the color gives me, the bird itself feels sloppy, and for a couple of reasons of which ill explain.

for one, its just...there. ok? now that mixed with the typeface you chose for the name, the whole thing starts clashing. because I look at the typeface, and the only way I can describe it is spy movie. I will say the typeface fits the name of the company "code door" cuz it looks like "code" or something from a spy movie.

Now like everyone else said I see a reddish outline too, but due to my favorite colors being red and black, im liking it aesthetically. from a design perspective, i'm not sure it looks so good. which leads me back to the bird. you have the font and the colors working together, then all the sudden you have this golden bird on top of the whole thing.

like seamas said, research your different birds. personally I would go with a hawk, or eagle silhouette some sort of bird that gives that solid, masculine feel to the whole thing.

Comment

Oh, and while we're at it...

You did create that bird from scratch, correct?
                  http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo View Post
                    Oh, and while we're at it...

You did create that bird from scratch, correct?
                    I cant think of a bird in the wild that looks that way naturally, unless the picture is stretched.

I cant help but see a goose. which would explain why its gold, it lays golden eggs....alright alright starting to move into smarta** zone better shut up.

Comment

Having "a bird" as your starting point should give you lots to work with (like seamas mentioned)... so just wanted to add that the bird and the font could do with some "connection", so they look like they were meant to be together.
                      - and a bird has some interesting parts like beak, eyes, claws, feathers etc!!! Lucky you! :-) and good luck.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                      Working...
                      X