Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• 6thSense
    Reply to How to imitate this crackle design/texture for a T-shirt?
    6thSense
    As you stated the first effect was really simple using the pathfinder. Re the brush/distressed look, that portion is still a little vague and has proven to be a tad more difficult than anticipated. You...
    Today, 08:37 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Education Choices/Backgrounds
    seamas
    Same here, except I studied fine art/painting. The theory and history learned during the course of the degree had some overlap with GD.
    I only took some software and computing classes (over the...
    Today, 08:23 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to LOGO icon opinion
    seamas
    It does look like a bull head.

I would take some time to check out different bull horns.

Different breeds have some interesting shapes.
    Today, 08:08 PM
  • sfys
    Reply to school project one pager
    sfys
    @skribe that strange I viewed my webiste on my macbook and a Imac and windows laptop and on safari chrome and firefox the website showed fine except on IE!!

@kermingmatters I know I...
    Today, 08:08 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Critique for a Video Organization Logo
    Buda
    Search is usually signified with a magnifying glass. Glasses doesn't have the same meaning.

Graphic design is about visual communication. It's fine to use different or unique symbols from...
    Today, 07:59 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am NEVER going to forget that flying colorwheel / crown logo. So it's really mission accomplished there. That U is definitely squished though. If the font comes that way, it should still be about 50% wider.

Comment

I'm not sure where you feel you received mean feedback. If you did, just ignore it. No sense getting worked up over the words of an anonymous poster.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by bellalupo View Post
        @vectorzomby, I converted all the gradients to solid colors. the highlight is just a white eclipse I blurred. What do you see that is still gradient?
        This is creating a gradient, and very poorly if done using the raster effects in adobe illustrator...

Comment

I'll just echo what others have said...you have far too much going on here. You need to K.I.S.S. when designing a logo. start in black only. If it doesn't work in black, it doesn't work. Just scale it back a bit. Maybe walk away from it for a couple minutes and think about something else. Honestly, if this logo came across my desk, I would hate you for all the work I would have to do deconstructing it to make it printable on, say a pen. You may not have enough time to use all the good advice you've gotten so far on this project, but consider it all when you start another project.
          “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

you need to drop all the color and work in black and white. no grey, just black and white. your logo needs to work in 1 color first, then you can add color. i understand time restrictions but the the time you spend on the computer moving the mouse around would be better spent moving a pencil around.

GD can be a very faced paced occupation and you need to be able to pop out ideas quickly. even with 10 years of experience using the Adobe suite i can still get down ideas quicker with a pencil and paper. even though your professor doesn't require sketches or hasn't mentioned them doesn't mean you can't do them.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

@KemingMatters... that comment was meant for the poster who was quoted, not for you, Sorry I wasn't clearer. I'm at a much lower level of learning. You have been very kind and that is sincerely appreciated.

Just because an experienced designer gives proper advice doesn't mean the student understands what's been said. Some posters imply I'm ignoring the good advice given by my professor, however I don't understand what he means and he won't explain...so I cam here.

I learn more when criticism is delivered with the goal of teaching and being understood in mind. Hope that makes sense.

As for my professor: 2 weeks ago a student cut off the tip of her finger with the exacto knife. After they found the tip and she was taken to the hospital, my professor told the class to be careful when cutting. Since this was my first experience with an exacto knife I raised my hand and asked if he would please demonstrate the proper way to use an exacto knife. His response took me aback!

all he said was "NO" so I dropped it.
              Last edited by bellalupo; 05-02-2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
                I'm not sure where you feel you received mean feedback. If you did, just ignore it. No sense getting worked up over the words of an anonymous poster.

Dear anonymous: I believe you don't realize when you're being mean.
                Last edited by bellalupo; 05-02-2012, 05:45 PM.

Comment

As for my professor: 2 weeks ago a student cut off the tip of her finger with the exacto knife. After they found the tip and she was taken to the hospital, my professor told the class to be careful when cutting. Since this was my first experience with an exacto knife I raised my hand and asked if he would please demonstrate the proper way to use an exacto knife. His response took me aback!

all he said was "NO" so I dropped it.
                  Sounds like a real winner you got there... and the answer is: cut away from yourself, also don't force the blade to cut in one slice, two or three passes on a thick stock is okay.

EDIT: and use a metal ruler, you can cut into wood or plastic and coincidentally your flesh at the same time
                  Last edited by kemingMatters; 05-02-2012, 05:56 PM.
                  Design is not decoration.

Comment

I've been following this thread and the replies and reactions, and honestly, no one here is being intentionally 'mean.' This is a professional critique of a logo you've presented for feedback. Critiques have nothing to do with feelings, though I'm sorry if yours are getting hurt. You need to emotionally distance yourself from your work - graphic design is not about making you happy, it's about making the client happy. The feedback you're getting here is typical of what you'll get in the working world. Actually, it's nicer.

You mentioned you jumped right into digital classes. As far as your class and professor, it's possible that the graphic design program assumes that you've taken some foundation courses in drawing, color theory, design theory, typography, etc. It could be that your professor isn't refusing to teach you fundamentals, but believes you should already know those fundamentals. That may not be the case, however, I know some programs don't include those foundations anymore.

Good luck with your project.
                    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I've read this thread a couple times.

I don't see anyone being "mean".

I see some folks maybe being blunt, or frank, but we are grownups.

I've got good news and bad news:

Bad news: Logo needs to be re-imagined. Back to the drawing board.
                      it is just way too complicated and needlessly fussy. Too many colors.

Good news: You have about 24 hours.
                      get a pot of coffee going and get ready to stay up all night.

Do some research. Look at some of the world's most effective logos and trademarks.
                      Heineken: a red star
                      Bass Ale: A red Triangle
                      Apple: an apple with a bite taken
                      Nike: a swoosh

Do ya notice a pattern?

They are simple.
                      You can spot them a mile away.

Keep in mind the history of the word "brand":
                      It comes from marking livestock with a hot iron. The ranch needed a simple and effective manner of marking their stuff.

The biggest mistake a designer can make is refusing to let go of a mediocre or even bad idea.
                      Don't be afraid to let go of those hours already invested. Cut the losses and start over.

Was that mean?

Maybe it is, but we get "mean" from our bosses, clients, peers and ourselves every day. It's part of the job description to be able to take criticism at face value.

It's not a personal attack.
                      It's a challenge for you to do better.
                      Last edited by seamas; 05-02-2012, 06:27 PM.
                      Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Dear anonymous: I believe you don't realize when you're being mean.
                        I believe you don't realize that you've received honest feedback with no ill-will and that you're most likely just taking it too personally. As Kitch mentions, in this field you need to separate yourself from what you create. If someone points out what they don't like in what you create, they're not being mean, nor are they saying they don't like you. But if you want to take it that way, then again, good luck.

blog/portfolio

Comment

@infinity: I just signed on to ask about the face and the "O" and was relieved to see your post.
                          I'd thought about using the pathfinder and merging the face and "O" but the outer curve on the right side of the "O matches the face's nose so the profile illusion is minimized. HOWEVER, maybe I can move the face over a bit to the right to get the chin in to keep the profile image. Let me give it a try ... will keep you posted. I love the way you think!

I couldn't agree with you more!!!!! It's this professor!

I've been in school 1 year so far. All my classes were digital classes because I was always intimidated by PS & AI so I attacked my fears first: Photoshop; Illustrator; Other classes: Graphics in Web Design; Web Development; Digital tools; Video Editing... Before this I earned a Phd in the "University of Trial & Error & Divine Intervention" using only the computer. A few weeks ago I purchased my first set of colored pencils to create a 3 frame storyboard. I loved working with the pencils.

Thank you so very much for understanding my limits.

Be assured I have the passion to learn. after your response I will go for the two dimensional drawing class this summer . Any suggestions for other classes?

Infinity, again, thank you so very much for your positive attitude and dealing with the situation and problem at hand. Your helpful responses are encouraging.
                          I'm trying to make the best of what I've been dealt. I have another year of school and now I have a better picture of what's expected. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. Seriously!
                          why didn't your school require you to take the drawing first? they really should have made your fundamentals class a prerequesite(spell check) it would have made this step so much easier for you. and when you got to your digital classes, your intimidation would have melted away as you seen your drawing skills taking effect in your software applications. Alot of things in this feel build on each other with every class you take.

I'm not trying to go against anyones judgements here as I know there are quite a few professionals here. i know this crit pit can be very intimidating bella, and can seem like they are all being mean or throwing a bunch of negative comments at you, believe me this isn a happy prancy party in here, people get rough and will tell you how it is. just remember not to take it to heart, they are critiquing your work, not you as a designer. I was the same way as you and was taking the crits the wrong way at first, but then learned that they are just trying to help me. I'd rather get the "mean" crits out of the way now rather than wen i get in the field and lose my job or something due to horrible design skills.

i understand some of them can kind of get off track, but you just have to learn to look past all that. ok enough of my speeches. As far as me keeping with the task at hand, I tend to do that, but especially with this as, like i said before, Iv been in your shoes and understand whats it like trying to get something right with a dead line a couple of weeks away. its rough believe me.
                          I kind of just skimmed through the rest of the comments on here but maybe this will help you out.
                          when designing a logo, it needs to:
                          1. work in black and white first! if it doesnt work in black n white, it wont work at all
                          2. if it cant be completely readable when scaled down to 1"x1" then it wont work, a little something I do is actually design the logo at that scale, that way I know my boundaries and wont have to worry.
                          3. as many have said sketch, however you seem to be past this stage, but it never hurts to go back.

oh and by the way im a guy lol
                          Last edited by infinity; 05-02-2012, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
                            Sounds like a real winner you got there... and the answer is: cut away from yourself, also don't force the blade to cut in one slice, two or three passes on a thick stock is okay.

EDIT: and use a metal ruler, you can cut into wood or plastic and coincidentally your flesh at the same time
                            Cut the tip of my index finger off using a metal ruler and a Exacto blade - still tingles to this day. After 20+ years of using blades cutting masks, it only takes a second to really mess up.
                            Last edited by Cisco1; 05-02-2012, 06:34 PM. Reason: typo
                            "You're only given one little spark of madness. You musn't lose it" - Robin Williams

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post

If you can find a steel one instead of aluminum, even better. The X-acto blade can bite into the aluminum. The aluminum one we have at work has been used so much it's actually slightly concave along the edge. Just this Monday I hit a nick in the edge and the blade climbed up onto the face of the ruler just a fraction of an inch from my finger. Too close for comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
                                You mentioned you jumped right into digital classes. As far as your class and professor, it's possible that the graphic design program assumes that you've taken some foundation courses in drawing, color theory, design theory, typography, etc. It could be that your professor isn't refusing to teach you fundamentals, but believes you should already know those fundamentals.
                                I have to agree with KW.

You are struggling with the "how" because you have not taken the basic foundation classes for design, and have gone straight to digital software classes because, in your words "they intimidated you the most".

Without having learned the basics, you will continue to struggle with shuffling random elements together with little effect.

The professor of your digital class is not obligated to teach you the fundamentals you lack, it is up to you to take courses in the appropriate sequence, in order to achieve level of skill you seek.

It is ill advised to skip beginning foundation classes in the rush to attend digital classes, as you have now discovered.

Cutting corners never reaps a good result.
                                Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                                Working...
                                X