Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ISitude
    Reply to Logo tutorial
    ISitude
    There's a follow-up survey found just after the last vid ...I'm guessing that my written answers are also award winning
    Today, 03:48 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Comment on Logo tutorial
    MichaelWied
    Agreed.
    Today, 03:38 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Logo tutorial
    PrintDriver
    Then change the title to "Getting Started with Illustrator"
    Not "Logo Design."
    Today, 03:25 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Reply to Logo tutorial
    MichaelWied
    I honestly think he's just showing some quick tuts to get people started in illustrator. But I know what you mean by people seeing these videos and thinking that's how stuff gets done. An even bigger...
    Today, 03:22 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Need feedback on this package
    Buda
    The chocolate stuff looks like blood.
    Today, 03:16 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go back to the drawing board. There's no point trying to perfect a poor concept. You need something clean and simple. It needs to work in 1 color. If you can't make a rubber stamp out of it, brand a cow with it, embroider it on a shirt or send it through a fax machine... it's not a proper logo.

You say you don't have time to start over, but inevitably that's your only option, so you might as well get going with it. There is absolutely no amount of moving elements around that will fix your current logo. You need to start over. Start Over. START OVER. START OVER! And this time start with some rough sketches and thumbnails. Keep it simple. Look at other logos and see how simplistic the best logos are. They often play with postive/negative space, but you don't even have to worry about that at this point. Just focus on a nice, clean, simple design.

Not trying to be mean... just honest. It looks like you have some good skills in Illustrator, and that's awesome. But you need to spend more time in the conceptualization stage. The worst ideas, however perfectly executed, are still bad ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
      3. as many have said sketch, however you seem to be past this stage, but it never hurts to go back.
      The logo is not working, and the OP is spinning around in circles, so in my opinion it is exactly the time and place to go back to sketches (pencil/pen & paper).

How-To-Design-Tips:
      • Sketch sketch, sketch; dozens of concepts.
      • Do not sketch one or two ideas and go to the computer.
      • I repeat. DO NOT sketch one or two ideas and go straight to the computer.
      • Sketch dozens of concepts/ideas, then sketch 30-40 more.
      • Still working with pencil/pen & paper, whittle down your sketches to the top 5-6 strongest ones.
      • Still working with pencil/pen & paper, hone the 5-6 selected ideas, experimenting with configurations, emphasis, type styles, etc.
      • Whittle down the resulting sketches until you have 3-4 designs
      • Then, you are ready to take those 3-4 sketches to the computer for further development.
      (mini thread jack to say to grasshopper: You are just starting to appreciate the value of this. You need to stop 'fake sketching' on the computer; it's not the same as free-hand sketching, and does not achieve the same results.)
      Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

X-Acto knif skills are much like any other knife skills.

I have cut my self just once (with a blade) in the last 25 years * (In that time I worked with box cutters, Zip knives Kitchen knives, X-Axtos, mat cutters etc. Cutting mats, food, woodworking sculpting, etc.)

I always make these precautions:

#1 make sure the blade is as sharp as possible. With an X-Acto, you can use fine grade sandpaper to legnthen the life of a blade, but if it is dull, replace it.

let the sharpness of the blade do the work. Never force a blade if you are having trouble cutting.

#2 Plant your feet firmly. ALWAYS make sure you have firm and steady footing.

#3 Steady and firm work table. make sure there is no wobble to the table.

#4 for thicker paper and boards, score lightly on the first pass. Expect 2-4 passes before you will cut all the way through. Especially true when cutting matts--trying to cut through a thick board in one pass will yield a curved line.

#5 a good heavy stainless steel straight edge is your friend

#6 Always take your time. NEVER hurry. * My only time I ever cut myself with a blade in the last 25 years was because I hurried through the job. Luckily no bandage was needed.

#7 Before cutting, account for the path of your movement--any part of your body in the path will get cut. Get them out of the way. Keep the non-cutting hand in a manner as if it is loosely holding a lemon--this way the fingers are slightly curled in. (especially when cutting food!)
        Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Also remember to cut away from the design. Put your ruler down on a section you will keep after the cut, so if your blade slips, the only open space it can move to is trash space anyway.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
            Also remember to cut away from the design. Put your ruler down on a section you will keep after the cut, so if your blade slips, the only open space it can move to is trash space anyway.

^^Just make sure the straight edge is clean and the work is dry!

Comment

And remember to turn the waxer on before you go to make coffee in the morning.

</threadjack>
              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
                You'll want a cork backed straight edge if your going to do that, some of the plain ones can scratch your work due to the way they are stamped.

TIP: If you don't have a cork backed straight edge layer a couple strips of masking tape down the full length of one side of the ruler. (make sure the tape doesn't interfere with the edge). This is also prevents ink from bleeding/running when you move the ruler when using it with a pen.
                Design is not decoration.

Comment

My straight edge is a one trick pony. It has no markings (it's not a ruler), no cork either. It's nice and heavy. One side is beveled so it's great for tearing paper.

I remember getting a deal on it. I had a steep discount but I still paid like $20 for it in the early 90s. I think it's retail price was about $50.

Comment

I always just eye ball it, make a couple tick marks (about three) down the length of my design, place my xacto at the top free hand on the side for support, and let 'er rip!

....nah just kidding! lol. my eye isn't that good. i tend to use a cork back, however I cant tell you the last time I was doing something that needed a blade.

Comment

I bought something similar to this (except it can cut 18" paper). Good for volume, but can only cut a few sheets at a time before it cuts the corners wonky (though for accuracy's sake, I'd only do one at a time anyway). Also scores and perforates, though the latter is a bit tricky. Obviously, does no good for pieces over 18".

blog/portfolio

Comment

are you sitting down? here's my other logo... Sorry about the gradients, I couldn't resist!

Comment

I can't help but think all the time spent "revising" this current logo could very easily have been spent sketching, and the OP would have learned a lot more in the process.
                          http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

are you pulling our leg now?

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Since the OP is obviously wasting our time and her own with this I'm going to close this thread.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X