Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Pavlo
    Reply to Honest critique for a wedding design
    Pavlo
    Hi PD,
    Thank you. No problem. :-)
    I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't making a specific recommendation for her to use red and black together.
    cheers
    Today, 11:35 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Colors changing in ai when I copy and paste
    PrintDriver
    Before starting any art always check your color space. Going from RGB to CMYK, espcially by just telling Illustrator to do so using the Document Color Mode to just toggle it, will not only screw up your...
    Today, 11:23 AM
  • PrintDriver
    PrintDriver
    When you compare "insipid" to "strong and bright" it can come off as advice.
    Your research suggestion was in a different paragraph.
    That's how I red it.
    I apologize...
    Today, 11:20 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Print Quality Issues... Am I being swindled?
    PrintDriver
    Like I said, some of the older board machines don't do "small" well.

When doing large format, do not expect "digital" print quality where "digital" means high-end...
    Today, 11:16 AM
  • Pavlo
    Pavlo
    Hi there PD,
    Just for the record: I have not given advice to janetm1000 to make it a strong red and black.

My suggestion to her was, "...to do further research into Chinese culture...
    Today, 11:10 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joe23st View Post
    With you, just messing, are we.

If you want more critiques I'd ask one of the moderators to move your thread to the crit pit.

That being said, I honestly know nothing about Industrial Design and Architecture...so I probably wouldn't be the best candidate to review your work. Welcome to the forum though!
    Thank you joe!
    Aaron would appreciate if you can help me to move his thread to the proper category in the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by hank_scorpio View Post
      Hank has a printing experience of nearly 14 years, he has extensive experience in screen printing, lithographic printing and designing for print based mediums. Hank has never critiqued architectural work, as Hank does not work, nor has ever worked in that field. However, Hank thinks that AaronCheng would like critique on his website. Hank thinks that the website is ok, it's easy enough to navigate. However, Hank fails to see the purpose when he clicks on the icon entitled "Website" as this seems to show the website he is currently viewing on a computer generated image of another monitor. This gives Hank an usual feeling of looking into infinite mirrors, or being in the popular movie "Inception" starring Leonardo DiCaprio, 2010.

Hank feels like the black bar that is on every page is intrusive. When Hank was reading AaronChengs profile and clicked on the icon entitled "Resumé" Hank could not read part of the Resumé as the black bar covered about 2 lines of the Resumé.

Hank also had other issues with the website portfolio. Hank didn't really understand the icon entitled "More" as he felt this only showed 3 things, each more removed from the last, a HDR photograph, a free hand drawing, and finally a photomontage for a CD cover? Hank found this really bizarre to include.

Overall, the website works, and the portfolio is clear and concise, Hank muses. But Hank has to wonder why the Portfolio is so sparse given the fact that AaronCheng has been studying and working in the field of "architect" since 2007.

Hank wonders if perhaps showing some early stages of AaronCheng's career would he become more appealing, showing the work studied in 2007 and how it grows from concept to reality. Hank also pondered if any of AaronCheng's architectural models were ever built in real life, and if so, Hank would love to see pictures of the finished architects next to the concept models.

Hank would like to summarise now:

Black bar is intrusive
      Website works
      It's lacking projects - needs more Hank feels
      Hank is unsure why there are product designs along with architect projects and these can be separated into other categories.
      Thank you Hank! when aaron saw hank's post for the first time, he tought that was an ad and ignored his comments completely...

a lot of ppl mentioned the black bar. Aaron might fix that in the next version.

As for the 'More section', if Hank click the pic, he will see more about each category, like photography, drawings etc.

As for aaron's 'early career'...
      aaron just graduated last year and this IS aaron's early career...

Comment

Originally posted by AaronCheng View Post
        Thank you for your comments. The navigation does look too long in your monitor.

Also can you talk more specific about why the navigation is clunky?
        From the home page, the only links that do anything are your name and "portfolio". I wouldn't guess from just your name that it takes me to an "about me" page.

From there, the same image that originally too you to one of two different pages now takes you to only one page, but when you go to that page, that same image takes you to a different page.

I like to think I'm pretty good at navigating around web sites, but yours left me confused.
        http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Maynard has nothing to add. This is not Maynard's area of specialty or subject matter. But Maynard wanted to post this because it makes Maynard giggle.

But seriously, navigation is a bit of a treasure hunt. Clarity can be a valuable tool when people come to your site. Imagine yourself as a first time user of the site, would you really know where to go, what to click, etc?
          Seriously, read this.

Comment

Rachel B likes the design very much! but was having a hard time figuring out what was what, and was rather flustered to be bumped over to carlos jimenez's studio without so much as a by you leave.... without being asked or invited, in the website section. She thinks to herself "what am I doing here, did he design these sites?"

She did not think the "more" section added anything positive to the OP's website as
            a. the drawing is out of perspective (the roofs - whoopsy-daisy!). She does not think this is a good thing for an architect to display, as she always thought architects are the first to know and understand perspective. Perhaps a designer would miss that. Another architect certainly would not.
            b. Rachel B noticed the photo montage smacked strongly of Jenny Okun's work. Rachel B gets peeved when she sees things like this. She does not like people who copy. Rachel B is a little simple in this way, as she still believes in this very day and age people should come up with their own ideas rather than regurgitating others.
            c. She loves the chairs enjoying the view, but... same as in point b, she has seen this sort of image many many times.

Rachel B decided the OP was using these things as filler and wonders if he thinks people will be fooled? She, like hank_scorpio, would like to see more of Mr Cheng's architectural work, what there was of it was quite nice, but she couldn't really get her teeth into this website.

Rachel B wants to stress she really likes the overall design, and thinks it's a wonderful start. And she likes the black bar
            Last edited by Rachel B; 05-02-2012, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Kool finds this thread highly amusing.

Comment

once again infinity hasnt read through all the comments, but he will get to that after posting his comment, so infinity apologizes if what he says has already been stated....

....ok that hard to do so back to first person...

...Im not much of a web designer, I will like to be one some day but until then ill give my crit from a user perspective with a little of the web design I do know...

...class i took last quarter taught us about web design told us "don't make me think!" which is also a book out there. we were told that when designing a website make it easy to navigate, pretty much a self explanatory type layout when designing, i'm sure you all know this. but I said that to say this. at first the site was a little difficult to navigate, the nav bar isnt quite "out there" i had to hover first to see what it was I was looking at.

after i figured it out though i started liking it. i like how you used the little icons instead of the bland cliche names of each page. I also noticed how when clicking on about for example the page scrolls, so i ended up just scrolling to navigate to each tab.

that brings me to my question. since the tabs can be reached by both scrolling and clicking the button, why not have something that lets us know what tab we are on. for some one like me who just ends up scrolling, itd be nice to know when im entering your resume, or your about you page. maybe have the name pop up whether your scrolling or clicking. just a thought.

Comment

I see what you did now, you have a lot of info compressed into two sections, which is then disguised as your sites title. I must say personally I find that very clever. I do agree with the others though, its a bit confusing, and took me a bit of playing around to figure it out. but at the same time it kept me curious, which kept me on the page longer.

the only other thing I would suggest is on the main page, i personally would create some way of making your name and "portfolio" to stand out. since they are two different buttons, i would make their over state a little more obvious. then again im not a web designer, so i could be completely wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel B View Post
                    Rachel B likes the design very much! but was having a hard time figuring out what was what, and was rather flustered to be bumped over to carlos jimenez's studio without so much as a by you leave.... without being asked or invited, in the website section. She thinks to herself "what am I doing here, did he design these sites?"

She did not think the "more" section added anything positive to the OP's website as
                    a. the drawing is out of perspective (the roofs - whoopsy-daisy!). She does not think this is a good thing for an architect to display, as she always thought architects are the first to know and understand perspective. Perhaps a designer would miss that. Another architect certainly would not.
                    b. Rachel B noticed the photo montage smacked strongly of Jenny Okun's work. Rachel B gets peeved when she sees things like this. She does not like people who copy. Rachel B is a little simple in this way, as she still believes in this very day and age people should come up with their own ideas rather than regurgitating others.
                    c. She loves the chairs enjoying the view, but... same as in point b, she has seen this sort of image many many times.

Rachel B decided the OP was using these things as filler and wonders if he thinks people will be fooled? She, like hank_scorpio, would like to see more of Mr Cheng's architectural work, what there was of it was quite nice, but she couldn't really get her teeth into this website.

Rachel B wants to stress she really likes the overall design, and thinks it's a wonderful start. And she likes the black bar
                    Thank you Rachel for your comments. Rachel is the only person, Aaron has heard so far, likes the black bar. Aaron likes it too.

Here are some arron's responses:

Aaron did design all three websites listed in the website section, which includes Carlos Jimenez Studio. he was supposed to create a separated page to better describe each website design, but he is too lazy. His bad...

As for the 'More' section, all the photography and drawings shown there could be considered as part of aaron's hobbies. Aaron didn't know who Jenny Okun is until Rachel mentioned her. Maybe Aaron is not professional, but he will not copy others' works.

As for his architectural works, Aaron is a little bit confused about why so many ppl has labeled him as an architect. it is true that aaron has studied architecture for 7 years and currently works for an architectural firm, but just like what he said in his website, aaron considers himself more as a designer.

Anyway, thank you for your advices and Aaron will think about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kool View Post
                      which is not what arron expected...

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
                        I see what you did now, you have a lot of info compressed into two sections, which is then disguised as your sites title. I must say personally I find that very clever. I do agree with the others though, its a bit confusing, and took me a bit of playing around to figure it out. but at the same time it kept me curious, which kept me on the page longer.

the only other thing I would suggest is on the main page, i personally would create some way of making your name and "portfolio" to stand out. since they are two different buttons, i would make their over state a little more obvious. then again im not a web designer, so i could be completely wrong.
                        Infinity, aaron wants to say: thank you so much for your understanding! Aaron knows that it might be confusing to some ppl to navigate when he decide to design the website this way, but he thinks it is also the beauty of this design: keep you curious, like what Infinity said.

everything you need to navigate has been placed on the black bar, however, nothing is straight forward. It is fun and also the website looks simpler and cleaner without extra texts. If you think about for a minute, actually all the icons are self-explained.

Aaron understand that it is a risk doing so. But it is the benefit doing personal website: you dont have to follow the rule.

(As for the tab you mentioned which can tell ppl where they are in the About page, aaron thinks the titles have already done this job.)

Comment

Originally posted by AaronCheng View Post
                          which is not what arron expected...
                          You could have got all pissy at the responses, believe me many would. Instead you embraced the wacky weirdness that sometimes spontaneously erupts around here. I admire that

Comment

Aaron did design all three websites listed in the website section, which includes Carlos Jimenez Studio. he was supposed to create a separated page to better describe each website design, but he is too lazy. His bad...
                            Aaron's very very bad because they are very nice sites and this is far from clear.

Rachel thinks Aaron is an extremely good designer, (oh this is a delight), and Rachel is always thrilled to see designs which are out of the box, new and well done.

(Rachel has a lot of impressive credentials and clients behind her but she is also very out of the box and essentially an artist flake at heart so maybe that doesn't hold very much water.)

But Rachel wants to caution Aaron - often people checking out websites are in a hurry, perhaps a 4 second attention span, and she feels it is perhaps amateurish to assume people have time to be curious about a website and take the time to peruse it.
                            She contests that probably 80% of the time people move on, or even get irritated, and this is not a good way for clients to feel.

So she would urge Aaron to make his site a bit more user friendly and when he is famous and clients are lining up at his door he can be as obscure as he wants.

Comment

Rachel wants to add this is the most she's responded to an OP in the crit pit simply because she is really having fun talking like this, and wonders where Norbert is as she thinks he would most enjoy it too.

Comment

You could have got all pissy at the responses, believe me many would. Instead you embraced the wacky weirdness that sometimes spontaneously erupts around here. I admire that

Amen ... you are a good sport Aaron my dear

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X