Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• garricks
    Comment on InDesign data merge advice…
    garricks
    Yes, I'm leaning that way now. Still percolating both ideas though… Thanks!
    Today, 02:51 PM
  • garricks
    Comment on InDesign data merge advice…
    garricks
    Good point…thanks!
    Today, 02:50 PM
  • Designia
    Reply to InDesign data merge advice…
    Designia
    I think what Kerning pointed out should ultimately be the deciding factor as the page numbering needs to make sense when it's combined with the other documents. Personally I think I'd use 4 separate documents....
    Today, 02:35 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to BAND LOGO HELP
    seamas
    They want simplistic or simple?

To my mind there is a significant difference, but that's just me.

What have you sketched out so far?...
    Today, 02:32 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Getting into graphic design
    PrintDriver
    Another note on color modes: There are some printers and there is one print process that actually use the RGB color mode. But it is vendor specific.

The best advice regarding color modes...
    Today, 02:07 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Website

Just interested to see what you think about my new website. The logo is a temporary measure until the one i am working on now is going to replace it.

www.oliver-ashley.com

Thanks,
    Ollie
    Portfolio- www.oliver-ashley.com

Home page:

1. The green text on the grey is hard to read.
    2. The "email" link is right over the edge of the div for me on Firefox, and your name shows up on the edge of the div in Safari.

Portfolio:

1. Are these all contest submissions?
    2. See the little underscore that shows up between image links? Need to fix that.
    Blog:
    1. Don't put "under construction". It's pretty much widely accepted that web sites are always under construction or going through some sort of changes. Don't put the link or page up until you are ready for it to be seen.
    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Thank you for your feedback cosmo! They are a few little pointers that I have missed!! I will get about sorting those out and see where I end up!

Thanks,
      Oliver.
      Portfolio- www.oliver-ashley.com

Comment

One more thing...

When you scroll to the bottom, the box shadow doesn't appear at the bottom of the main content div.

And, this is just personal opinion, but if you want to be taken seriously, you need to have more forms of contact than just a generic contact form.

Comment

A lot of your web examples have the istock watermarks in them. To customers it says "I made this for spec/student project and don't care to make it presentable". It's not a good impression.

Comment

on your main page, the your text extends past your white box. makes it look like a mistake. Like you ran out of room yet kept typing.

you have somewhat of the same issue on your portfolio page where your grey box is going past the main box on the page.

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
              on your main page, the your text extends past your white box. makes it look like a mistake. Like you ran out of room yet kept typing.

you have somewhat of the same issue on your portfolio page where your grey box is going past the main box on the page.
              Hmm. I see different problems. Guess the site must not have been tested before going live.

Comment

yea for me the OP's last two lines in their main page are going over the bottom of the "text box" and then

"email me"

is sitting literally on the very bottom of the whole site, level with his/her copyright

Comment

what is the difference between your design and those templates provided by tumblr?
                  the answer is they are more professional.

Comment

One thing that has helped me TREMENDOUSLY in evolving my web design abilities is the use and abuse of the 960 grid system. It makes layouts effortless and takes all the guess work out of web design.

I would suggest you download the templates (comes for pretty much every design program you can think of)

960.gs

Comment

+1 for 960. A great place to start.

Also, use firebug - getting to grips with this awesome little tool was very helpful for me when I started coding.

First thing that struck me was the amount of noise in your gradients. It's good that you're using dithering to reduce banding in your gradients, but you've dialled them up too much. Its not too bad in the blue part, where it could pass as a bit of texture, but its particularly noticeable in the grey portion, where it starts to interfere with the text.

You say you have many happy customers, but why aren't they in your folio? All I see are contest entries - did you win the work based on those entries?

Overall, the site feels unfinished an a little student-y. Nothing wrong with that, but if you're applying for a fulltime position I would bolster your portfolio with more real-world clients first.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X