Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• skribe
    Reply to Where can I find help with vehicle graphic design?
    skribe
    I designed and applied vinyl car graphics and wraps for a number of years when I was working in the sign industry.

It is true that door handles are best avoided, but sometimes it is not possible,...
    Today, 09:12 AM
  • guiri
    guiri
    The back is much easier 'cause the excursion has a big back window and being that it's a big truck, the whole thing is pretty wide but I also want something on the sides so I can be seen from all sides....
    Today, 07:42 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to My Life in Typefaces - Matthew Carter
    <b>
    I really didn't define what I meant by important. For that matter, I'll still leave it fuzzy since there's really no way to objectively measure such a thing.

As for Comic Sans, I'd say it's...
    Today, 06:01 AM
  • guiri
    guiri
    ISitude, thanks. You know, things would be soo much simpler if people just did what they're supposed to. ESPECIALLY if they have gotten paid. Oh well. Anyway, wraps are cool as hell and although I really...
    Today, 05:30 AM
  • ISitude
    Reply to My Life in Typefaces - Matthew Carter
    ISitude
    True that <b>. .. and Comic Sans is on most computers too ...sigh.

To me Zuzana's work is most notable because of the contribution to creating bitmap fonts from the most early days......
    Today, 03:46 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The typeface used for the headline is horrible.

The background is too busy.

I'll agree with what others have said. It's flat and lifeless.
    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

I really want to take the light, pastel colors from the lollypop and switch them with the background. This whole composition just seems to dark and murky to be a poster for a candy shop.

Comment

Rather than keep up-dating the poster using our latest suggestions, sit down and design it for yourself. Remember you are the designer. We can not design the poster for you by remote control. Begin by sketching a number of variations on paper—before you go to your computer.
        • It is important to consider what type of poster it is. Is this is an in-store poster—a counter card / wall poster— or a window poster?
        • You said the "address is missing"— is this poster to be used outside the store? If this is the case where would it be used and at what size?
        • What is the purpose of the poster? Are you emphasizing the variety of items? Are you reinforcing the store name as a location?
        • The first thing a poster has to do is grasp the viewer's attention. In this case use the name of the store as the dominate element. This means that the name has to be large enough to command attention and have maximum contrast with the background. This then is the focal point. You might consider using two lines for the store name, with "the" smaller and on a line above "Candy Shop".
        •The list of items sold then becomes the secondary element. This list should be easily read but it can not offer competition to the main element, the store name. This is an extremely important point.

The background should not be so busy that it is working against the simplicity that is so important in poster design. Right now, looking at the latest version of the poster, the background is too busy. If you want to stay with the vertical stripes, there is too much contrast between the two reds used. Both reds should be deeper (darker) with less contrast between them—also, the darker red might assume a little more of a wine cast. The general effect would then become a colorful, overall backdrop for the design rather that group of individual stripes.

Much has been mentioned about the fonts used. You stated that this font was what the client wanted you to use. Talk to the client about this. If the signage for the store, the letterheads and other posters are all in this font, you may have to use it. If this was simply a suggestion, it would be best to use a font that has a more informal look. Keep in mind that the name of the store is going to be the main emphasis of the poster. It should be much bolder than what you are using now and be larger. It should have a "fun" look but it should not be bazaar.

The candy you have put on the poster is not working in the current versions. Once you have a powerful, attention getting version of the store name you might add a couple of pieces of candy to it as accents. However, don't let them steal the show.
        Last edited by sully1251; 05-09-2012, 03:58 PM.
        http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

Give some more consideration to the imagery you're using. For sweets you're showing candy corns, suckers, and peppermint. Now this is just personal preference, but when my sweet tooth is kicking in those choices are bottom of the barrel. (Candy corns? blech! I'd rather go without.) Entice me. Show me some chocolate, show me that ice cream, show me some of the unique homemade creations that make this store special.

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
            Give some more consideration to the imagery you're using. For sweets you're showing candy corns, suckers, and peppermint. Now this is just personal preference, but when my sweet tooth is kicking in those choices are bottom of the barrel. (Candy corns? blech! I'd rather go without.) Entice me. Show me some chocolate, show me that ice cream, show me some of the unique homemade creations that make this store special.

I agree about the candy corn (even though I like candy corn), buit peppermint and lollies can be fine--they are just rendered poorly.

This is a job where an investigation into some historical styles might really hit the spot--even if they are revisionist concepts of old styles.
            I'm thinking of ideas based on turn of the 20th century fanciful ideas, or circus posters or the like.
            The candy itself doesn't need to be included specifically--though things like gumdrops will work in several graphic ways.

Originally posted by RKS View Post
            Seamas -
            I don't understand how this is relavant, but yes, I am the designer. I am a friend of the shop owner so he hired me.
            Not sure how how this isn't relevant.
            If you are hired as a designer, your expertise in important design elements (like fonts) would be HIGHLY relevant.

Or should be.

Comment

I think a lot of it is the color scheme. It's too solemn for candy.

Take a look here - https://www.google.com/search?q=cand...w=1920&bih=845

See all the bright colors? I would start with that...
              http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

what size is this...where will it be hung?
                what is the intent...who is the audience?

Can you use an actual photo of some tasty candy?
                Seeing Candy in real/photo form is enticing...seeing text and vector candy is not.
                Everything about the poster seems to be YELLING. The large text all over. Except for the new headline typeface...which looks, horrible. have you taken a look at other candy examples....competition? Heck, even looking at signs for Hershey's or Mars Co, or any other "Brand-Name" candy adverts and think about those. Check out Pinterest and or Google and search for candies or candy recipes...or even desserts. See how many photos are enticing? the vector images are not.
                Dribbble Page
                Behance Portfolio
                Linkedin Profile

Comment

1. Study the communication goal. Figure out what you are trying to accomplish here. THINK.

2. Grab a pen and pencil. Sketch layouts, draw type samples, note words that make you think of the way you want to communicate (adjectives are best).

3. Take a break.

4. Return to your sketchs/thumbnails/synonyms and start sketching a few rough drafts.

5. Now you can turn on your computer and build up a mechanical.

Throughout your process you may or may not consult with your client. But never ask what they "want", ask what they are trying to communicate, what they are trying to achieve. Ask them about their USP, the "tone" of their business, who their clients/customers are. etc.

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS TO GOOD DESIGN.

edit: Remember that you are the consultant. If the client has to art direct you there is a problem. Lawyers don't ask their clients how to write a tort, for example.
                  Seriously, read this.

Comment

Thank you, I think I have all the suggestions I need.
                    All this was really helpful! I haven't ever designed a poster for anything close to a candy shop or a fair or anything like that, so I really needed the help.

Comment

RKS— All these questions and comments and we still don't know:

• How this poster is planned to be used
                      • What the poster is supposed to accomplish
                      • Where the poster is to be used—in-store, window or at other locations
                      • What the size of the poster is
                      • If you have the latitude to design it horizontal or vertical

These essential questions should be clear before you begin the design.
                      For some reason we have been commenting on colors, candy and fonts.
                      http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X