Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to Typographic Experiment for a School Project
    <b>
    Looks nice, but it's hard to read. How big of a problem the legibility issue might be might depend on the rest of the booklet.
    Today, 08:59 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Designing for large companies
    <b>
    Yeah, I agree with PrintDriver, you'd be running headfirst into intellectual property violations. Big consumer-oriented companies, like the two you mentioned, have a serious interests in controlling their...
    Today, 08:49 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on Mentor or college degree?
    <b>
    I did briefly look at them, which is why I said what I did. It really does depend on what you want from life.

Both seem like good schools, but they're very different in both size, focus,...
    Today, 07:32 PM
  • misplacedVTer
    Reply to Mentor or college degree?
    misplacedVTer
    A PHD in graphic design is kind of a running joke between a few of my design buddies and I. Like it has been mentioned above, choose based on the body of work coming from students in a program, not what...
    Today, 07:23 PM
  • mcmc13
    Reply to Pantone, CMYK question for printing using Illustrator CS6
    mcmc13
    Thanks for all the great input. How do you determine Lab values? I did call my printing companies, neither has mentioned providing lab values yet. Both have confirmed capability to print in Pantone....
    Today, 07:22 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll just show some of my other ideas. Punching a slaughtered pork, hammering a tractor tire, etc. I know that they are too detailed, but it was just a brainstorming process, and I'm looking for something to continue from.

Comment

Have you tried sketching? Like pencil/paper sketching? That's where the brainstorming should happen.

And punching a butchered animal? I understand the history of the location and all, but no.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by seamas View Post
        They are all a bit detailed.

Not sure how long either the grunge look or Kettlebell workouts will remain trendy.

I think it will have limited appeal. A broad range of potential members/clients would be turned off.
        It's a competitive market, and something of a niche--so you need all the broad appeal you can get.
        True. For that matter, I'm not sure how long Crossfit itself will last. I'm giving it another year maximum.
        http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

These news one don't work at all. There is way too much going on for a logo.

Remember: Keep It Simple Stupid

Comment

Love your kettle bell abstract icon you have, work around that. Cross-fit is a favorite hobby of mine and that is the one of the items used often along with a crate lunge that no other gym nor workout routine has. The idea of a butcher tiled floor can work but maybe try keeping it cleaner and make more sketches. Maybe even a meathook holding the kettle bell for this particular gym with a similar abstract style. Bottom line there needs to be more ideas than what you are centering your concepts around in your proofs.

Cross-fit training has helped me in many ways with daily activities and endurance in sports and athletics; I don't see it going away any time soon. As it's targeted towards men, their respective girlfriends/kids are usually curious as to how daddy or hubby is getting so damn ripped all of a sudden, at least these are the comments from the women that frequent the gym that I go to as well.
            In life there are a lot of grey areas; not in the conception phase of logo design.

When a person asks you to do work for nothing in return, they are saying to your face, "You're worthless but useful to me."

Shall is a direct command whereas the verb will is a prophecy of the future.

http://www.behance.net/tmt

Comment

Originally posted by TomMonTom View Post
              Cross-fit training has helped me in many ways with daily activities and endurance in sports and athletics; I don't see it going away any time soon.
              I don't see it going away any time soon either. I just started it and we're actually moving to a bigger location soon because so many people are signing up.
              "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
              -Steve Jobs

Comment

Thanks for all your critique. I totally agree, but I'm brand new to this (this is for an introduction course), so sometimes you need an idea just taken of the board. I totally agree, that such a detailed logo just doesn't work.

I've tried to simplify things a bit and have now come up with the following ideas. What do you think?

Comment

I quite like the concept of 11, kind of Rockyish punching the slab of meat, but the guy looks like he is falling over rather than punching. Although, that might be more suited to a boxing club rather than a gym.
                  http://martyng.com

Comment

Originally posted by martyng View Post
                    I quite like the concept of 11, kind of Rockyish punching the slab of meat, but the guy looks like he is falling over rather than punching. Although that might be more suited to a boxing club rather than a gym.
                    Actually he's pushing and not punching in this case. And I like that idea as well.

Comment

Ok, I've been working with my idea and now I have something I really like. I should say that Butcher's Lab also have martial arts, although crossfit and weng chun is seperated. Here are my idea for a visual identity:

Last edited by sorniels; 05-10-2012, 02:13 PM. Reason: Changed image.

Comment

The top middle works, but you have to remove "Crossfit" because it will completely disappear at smaller sizes, remember legibility and scalability. Any of them that have the vertical type on them won't work.

I'd focus on the top middle one without the vertical type. Perhaps try redrawing the man to be punching the "B" because I don't think people think of pushing heavy objects over when they think of body building. This will also create a more dynamic motion to the logo.

It's getting there

Comment

Take a look at cartoon silhouettes with pushing involved, he seems to be leaning more than shoving. His back would be near perpendicular to the floor and his back leg stretched out entirely with his front knee almost at a less that 45 angle.
                          In life there are a lot of grey areas; not in the conception phase of logo design.

When a person asks you to do work for nothing in return, they are saying to your face, "You're worthless but useful to me."

Shall is a direct command whereas the verb will is a prophecy of the future.

http://www.behance.net/tmt

Comment

Thank you all for the comments. I've redrawn the pushing man, so he now looks more like he's pushing.

If this should be used, what would your advice be? Using just the simple one with the B, using all of them in their respective context, and if so, should the B in the left one (without any silhouette) be moved to the right side, so it has the same position as B in the other two (with silhouettes)?

Colors are just a test, but I think red, orange and brown will be the colors, because they symbolize red: aggression, revolution; orange: warmth, hapiness, vitality; brown: wellbeing, reassurance.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X