Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• salsa
    Reply to Design Quotes
    salsa
    They want you to do a mock quote and didn't tell you how to do it? That's strange that they would even do this because there are a lot of steps in the real world of business that you have to go through...
    Today, 02:33 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to New Logo for a Glass Bottle Cutting Device
    Buda
    I don't see any progression. It's the same concept.

Try and work on some more interesting concepts.

Things to think about:
    Who is the target market?
    What is the...
    Today, 01:51 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Critique for my logos
    Buda
    What is your background? Are you a student or a designer?

These don't look like real logos to me because they can't be used in the real world. It looks like you have thought up concepts but...
    Today, 01:47 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to (Possibly) doing a commission for the first time, need intro
    Buda
    Just curious if you are thinking of using copyright and trademarked comic book and movie characters in your design?
    Today, 01:44 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Design Quotes
    Buda
    Hi c_fowler336 and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain...
    Today, 01:37 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossfit logo feedback

Hi there,

I'm trying to create a new logo for a crossfit centre called Butcher's Lab (see butcherslab.dk for references).

I've come up with a few ideas, but is not sure whether they are good enough or if I should start over again. I like the idea of including a kettlebell in the logo, but it have to work. Furthermore the centre also has a Weng Chun school.

Here is a link to some of my suggestions, and I would be happy if you could help me with some critique.

http://esenne.dk/logo-preview.pdf

Thanks in advance!

Two things...

1. Post this in the Crit Pit (although it will probably get moved there anyways)

2. Post the image in the post, not a link. Many of us won't follow links to unknown sources.
    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Thread moved. And yes, you will receive more responses if you post a jpg, gif or png directly into the post, whether you attach it or use the image tags to link to it.

blog/portfolio

Comment

3 things:
        1) They're all way too detailed
        2) They're all "trendy" which means they will look dated in a hurry
        3) butcherslab.dk looks like it's for an abattoir (reads ButcherSlab.dk)
        Design is not decoration.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Here are the proposed solutions:

Comment

So looking at the logos, here is my take...

I actually like the kettle bell graphic. That's all I like though.

The "grunge" type or whatever you want to call it has to go. It's hard to read, and harder to reproduce. Imagine cutting vinyl for a sign from that file. Plus, it already looks dated. Reminds me of the early 2000's.

The ones where you have "L A (kettle bell)" don't read LAB at all.
            http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

The kettle bell doesn't read as a B, and the grungy pixellated portions will not reproduce well at small sizes.

What program are you using? I suspect Photoshop, which would be the wrong tool.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Thank you for your comments. I will look into using another font, and post an update.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
                  What program are you using? I suspect Photoshop, which would be the wrong tool.
                  I'm using Illustrator.

Comment

Is that a font that has the built in grungy-tiled look? I'd avoid it altogether then. A solid font will be much more flexible and legible at small sizes. Plus I wouldn't want to go to a gym that gave me the impression that they might be grungy. I want a clean gym that will not infect me with MRSA or athlete's foot.

blog/portfolio

Comment

They are all a bit detailed.

Not sure how long either the grunge look or Kettlebell workouts will remain trendy.

I think it will have limited appeal. A broad range of potential members/clients would be turned off.
                      It's a competitive market, and something of a niche--so you need all the broad appeal you can get.
                      Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

^Good point. Do they offer anything aside from kettle bells? If so, you don't want to limit the reach of your logo to only those looking for kettle bell workouts.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
                          Is that a font that has the built in grungy-tiled look? I'd avoid it altogether then. A solid font will be much more flexible and legible at small sizes. Plus I wouldn't want to go to a gym that gave me the impression that they might be grungy. I want a clean gym that will not infect me with MRSA or athlete's foot.
                          This might be the point where I tell you something about the centre. It's in an old "butcher town" in Copenhagen, where the surroundings are very clinical, but the customers and the crossfit society in Denmark might be a bit hipster-like.

Here are some images from the "gym":

They don't want to be perceived as being "commercial" and they like to have paintings and art installations in the gym as well as training to live music.

Comment

From the site it looks like they only target men, is this correct?
                            Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Originally posted by seamas View Post
                              From the site it looks like they only target men, is this correct?
                              They don't. It's for both men and women (and actually some children hours as well), but because of the hard training there are more men than women. Around 70-30 percent in the favor of men.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X