X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designer's Logo + Business card

Hi, I'm a young budding Graphic Designer. I've been working on my identity logo and business card for weeks now. I'm fairly happy with it and hoping to send it to the printers soon.

The idea behind my logo (the shape containing initials) was a paint/ink blob. I like the way it also looks like a think bubble. I don't want to contain myself in a certain 'box', so I've kept it simple hoping it will attract a wider audience.

Concept 1 was a design prior to Concept 2. I included it to show you my changes and hoping I didn't go backwards by doing so. The reason why I made the changes: I thought it didn't serve its purpose enough so I tried to make it look more 'Graphic Design-y' by adding more contrast and boldness. Also, I dropped my identity business name of MelEnvision because I didn't want any confusion. Is it confusing?

Another thing, originally I had blue as my colour because I know everyone loves blue but it's really not me. I like the pink more but I don't want to deter any potential male clients. What do you think?

Concept 2

Concept 1 (includes bleed marks)

note: not my real contact info, hence the inconsistency.

Perhaps it's the amount of kids movies I've been watching lately but the "ink splotch" looks like Gru from Despicable Me.

I feel like a broken record sometimes, but kerning... M ELAN IE on the one side and M E LA N I E on the other.

also say this out loud "M T"... what word does that sound like? now consider people like me who thought your ink splotch was a head...

I would consider using the logo only on the coloured side and have all of the info on the other.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
      Perhaps it's the amount of kids movies I've been watching lately but the "ink splotch" looks like Gru from Despicable Me.

I feel like a broken record sometimes, but kerning... M ELAN IE on the one side and M E LA N I E on the other.

also say this out loud "M T"... what word does that sound like? now consider people like me who thought your ink splotch was a head...

I would consider using the logo only on the coloured side and have all of the info on the other.
      I´ve seen that movie twice and still didn´t pick that up. My first ink blotch looked like a crab claw.

I admit I´m not good at kerning. All the text is at default except I increased the space between the ¨I¨ in MELANIE. Now that I look closer I can see the problems a bit clearer.

Ha, I know my initials suck. Is it really that bad? Should I change it for sure?

Do you mean not to put the ¨MELANIE TRIEU GRAPHIC DESIGNER¨ on the back but rather have it small and lowercase like the bottom design? That´s not part of my logo btw.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

I like it. It's bold and attention-grabbing. The logo seems too smooth and regular to be identified as an ink blot.

The pink seems better to me, I don't think you're going to lose business from it: it's fashiony pink not girly pink. Whichever color you choose is going to be duller in CMYK, I'd consider black+1 spot color printing.

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
          Now it does. Initially I didn't see it as anything but a shape. Not saying that's bad, I like the shape, but I didn't see an ink blob until you mentioned it, nor a speech bubble. Nor Gru.

I find the pink too bright for my taste. Granted, I'd never lose your card, but it's very hard for me to read 'graphic designer' in the pink text on solid black. The blue is much easier on my eyes.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by VietRebel View Post
            I´ve seen that movie twice and still didn´t pick that up. My first ink blotch looked like a crab claw.

I admit I´m not good at kerning. All the text is at default except I increased the space between the ¨I¨ in MELANIE. Now that I look closer I can see the problems a bit clearer.

Ha, I know my initials suck. Is it really that bad? Should I change it for sure?

Do you mean not to put the ¨MELANIE TRIEU GRAPHIC DESIGNER¨ on the back but rather have it small and lowercase like the bottom design? That´s not part of my logo btw.

Thanks for the feedback.
            Tips to make an ink splotch:
            STEP 1: acquire some ink (india or what have you, you could probably get away with watery acryllic paint)

STEP 2: dripp a bit of ink on paper (repeat until you have the perfect ink splotch)

STEP 3: Circle your perfect ink splotch (if necessary) let dry then scan.

STEP 4: Import scan of ink splotch into AI (or other vector drawing software) as a template. Using the pen tool, outline your perfect ink Splotch and Voila!

I wouldn't go changing your initials, I would advise not using MT in shape that resembles a head because it could be construed as an Empty Head.

I meant just your logo on the back, nothing but the ink splotch bit and the vibrant colour; no text (ok maybe a URL).
            Design is not decoration.

Comment

Viet — I like what's happening here.

About the "mt" versions: What do you think of letting the "m" vertical not continue to the base line. Rather, let it continue as the "t" shape? In that case the hook of the 't" should not be as wide as it is—perhaps closer to the curves of the "m".

Personally, I don't see an ink blob. Have you tried having the initials as a larger, stand-alone element, reversing out of the color? At present the two black shapes are fighting for attention. Either use a circle shape larger with the initials or larger initials reversing out of color. You need your name and what you do on the front side of the card.

What ever color you choose, I would suggest a more distinctive hue. These are pretty much raw process colors. Have you thought of what a metallic could do for you.
              Last edited by sully1251; 05-29-2012, 07:03 PM.
              http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

I really like the new concepts and I think they work well in either colour.
                May the bridges I burn light the way.
                Portfolio

Comment

mt - empty?

Not criticising just making you aware that your initials throw up a slightly negative vibe.

Not a huge fan of the monogram for the same reasons as sully above.
                  Last edited by Roth; 05-30-2012, 01:10 PM.

Comment

The pink colour is quite bold and unique, I like it. Not sure either about the ink blot, but I think it's a good idea, just the shape of it might need some tweaking. For the front, just the logo on it's own might look better, and leave all your personal details together. The back looks good, nice font.

I think it's a good business card.

Comment

Originally posted by VietRebel View Post

Thanks for the feedback.
                      I'm not trying to be a jerk (although I know it may sound that way) but kerning and other basic typography skills are a MAJOR part of graphic design. Some (including myself) would argue that they are the most important part of graphic design.

If you aren't good at it, you shouldn't be selling your services.
                      http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Problems with printing light type on a dark background can cause printing problems. When you reverse type or use light colour on a dark background the black background visually encroaches the text, and there is a spread of ink, which can make the thin lines appear filled in, or they will be actually filled in with the spread of ink. This can cause the text to break up and fall apart, especially around serifs or thinner areas of a thin font, and certainly on areas where there are curves in the lettering. You might not see it so pronounced as you will have a magenta or cyan instead of white, but if you ever did want white, you could face some seriously bad looking print job.

Ultimately though, you can't rely on a printers to do this for you, and probably more difficult in a Direct to Plate situation, or at least need someone at the controls that knows what they're doing.

The typeface and size choice are key to getting this to look good. Thicker hairlines will resist breaking up, and much preferred over thin hairlines. You should use a "semi-bold" version of the font for the text, if you've chosen Light, then consider moving up to "regular/roman" or if it is already that then choose a "semi-bold" version.

Italics, or slanted/rotated text or text with lots of curves are a lot more prone to breaking up at print stage - so a thicker hairline for these are paramount.

And you should also adjust the tracking (space between letters) so that there is more space between the letters, and this will stop them appearing they are joined together, as if the plate breaks up, you may get those "www" all linking up.

Things can happen to cause type to break up when it's reversed out, like overexposed plates, or too much ink applied at print. And you can help the printers by adjusting your type the way I've described, these are counter-preventive measures to ensure that type won't break up, even if the plates are overexposed or there's a very bad pressman running the printing press.

If you're at all concerned about how this may affect the print quality - then you should request a printers proof - but be aware that it will cost you.

And if it's printed digitally - you can disregard the above, but you can't always guarantee it will be printed digitally - so it will save you from having 2 versions of the same card.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Depending on the font (thickness) I normally range between 6.5pt and 8.5pt for the minimum size for reversed out type.

Comment

Also - I agree the kerning needs a lot of work.

Turn it into pure black and white - and turn the card upside down, you'll see the bad kerning straight away.

Comment

Let us hope this does not start a small war:

I agree that there are some kerning problems. The kerning on the name for the front and back do not match. That shouldn't be a problem unless we have people seeing the front and the back at the same time. However, viewed individually, the kerning on neither side is all that bad. It certainly does not warrant the overstated remarks by Cosmo or other members of the Kerning Police.

Most of you are not seeing the kerning—you are thinking it out—intellectualizing it. Many would not recognize negative space if it ran over them.

The front side is set tighter. WITHIN THAT CONTEXT, the LAN is carrying more air (negative space) than the rest of the word. This is a natural consequence of the letter forms. The MI might be opened slightly, the EL is within reason—the E has "built-in" negative space. The IE might be opened a hairline.

The kerning on the name on the back of the card is right on. If someone can find areas to improve the kerning on the back—without spliting hairs—please enlighten me.

Cosmo, I'll let that last line in your brilliant commentary go—we all have a bad day at times.
                              Last edited by sully1251; 05-30-2012, 03:50 PM.
                              http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X