Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-branding myself

Hi there,

As I mentioned on the introductions page, I am in the process of prepping for a job hunt - part of this is a complete re-branding of myself: new business card, new resume, new portfolio.. new website.

This is my current website.

Obviously, it hasn't been updated in over a year - but the next update is going to involve a complete revision. Here are some things I am planning:

1. Get rid of all the black. The new color scheme will be light gray.
    2. Get rid of the flash intro.
    3. Get rid of all the clunky Dreamweaver code. Build it from scratch using CSS, html and jquery.
    4. Add more current work

I am open to any other advice. My portfolio, resume, business card and website will all be under the same branding and have the same consistent look and feel, so anything I change on the site might affect everything else. Let me know if you see anything I should drop on there, I'm already adding several things.

Thanks -
    - Mike

Hi Mike and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read the threads posted HERE and HERE. They explain how the forum runs, the rules, frequently discussed topics and our inside jokes.

Your portfolio thumbnails should not open in a separate pop-up window. Use a lightbox or similar. Some of your photos are quite dark and the logo pieces are too tightly cropped.

Getting rid of Flash is a good idea to make it compatible with all the mobile apps that people are using to browse these days.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I would take a while to study up on HTML5/CSS3 and find out what's now possible. If you're primarily a print designer and not too proficient with web development, I would pair up with a developer and work in collaboration with him.

Sometimes it's best to realize personal limitations and make moves to provide yourself with the best results possible.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. When I move into the web phase of my re-branding process (hopefully within two weeks), I will keep your advice in mind.
        JGDesigns, I understand what you mean about realizing personal limitations, and I do have a developer friend who I plan to work with when doing the website. However, I want to be careful about leaving the impression that I'm making promises on which I can't deliver. I don't want to go into an interview and have a potential employer comment about how much they liked a part of my site only to have them discover that I can't actually do that, but I do understand what you mean.

Moving along. I'm going to post my redesigned business card and one of my portfolio pieces, showing the new branding that I had in mind.

Here is the new b-card:

My physical portfolio consists of about 12 laminated pieces mounted on gatorboard. This is one of my pre-existing pieces, which matches the branding on my current site (see link above):

Now, this is the same piece under my new branding:

I welcome any comments as to whether I'm going in the right direction or about my new branding in general and how I might improve it.
        Thanks -

- Mike

Comment

Sorry, but the the who gears theme is about as unoriginal/uncreative as it gets. Any other ideas to build from?

Comment

Good point. I guess it's off to the drawing board to find a new logo.

I'm glad I joined this board before I printed anything...

Comment

Gonna scrap it all on one critique? Wow.
              And all I was gonna say was lose the cheesy drop shadow effect.

Comment

Other than what has already been mentioned, my issue with the gears is that the teeth aren't all the same size/width (on the same cog) and that they wouldn't actually function if you were to make them. I know it's a tiny detail but gears that don't work... don't work, what do you think that is saying about you? I'm going to hazard a guess that you didn't even reference a gear when you created them.
                Design is not decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
                  Other than what has already been mentioned, my issue with the gears is that the teeth aren't all the same size/width (on the same cog) and that they wouldn't actually function if you were to make them. I know it's a tiny detail but gears that don't work... don't work, what do you think that is saying about you? I'm going to hazard a guess that you didn't even reference a gear when you created them.
                  Yes.

perhaps look at some finer gear work--like the works of a good watch or something.
                  Don't get TOO detailed, but if you can capture the essence of a watch movement you might be able to convey precision.
                  Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

Some of your work is great and professional (minus the glow you have behind some of your text, yikes) but your website looks like it was made in 1998. Make a clean, easy to navigate website, that reflects your good work. Even just a simple wordpress theme.

Comment

Originally posted by sjdsjdsjd View Post
                      Some of your work is great and professional (minus the glow you have behind some of your text, yikes) but your website looks like it was made in 1998. Make a clean, easy to navigate website, that reflects your good work.
                      See above.
                      New website is to come, but I need my new branding nailed down first.

Comment

A few things about the mock website layout:

• The description feels like a lot of text, even though it really isn't, I would suggest loosening up the leading and either nix the border and background or try something that makes it cohesive with the subject matter.

• The description leaves me wondering more about your work then if it were left out entirely, this isn't a good thing. I now wonder how involved you were in the project, what portions you are responsible for, what design decisions are truly yours and where the data card holder if it isn't actually a die cut on the folder.

• The project title, should probably be grouped with the description, right now it feels like it could be a link or something entirely separate, the connection isn't visually obvious.

• I didn't think it was possible, but the photo of the project actually looks dated/stale. IMO the way you display/shoot your product should be reflective of the product/you, some detail callouts (might be a good place to show where you shined) and a little creative angles will go a long way. Right now the image is saying "here, this is it..." The frilly tooling is a little dated, which makes me wonder how current this is... I would scrap that photo or try to make it more exciting if you are unable to shoot another one for whatever reason.

• Most importantly, WHERE IS THE NAVIGATION?

• The only thing that is working, and working rather well I might add, is that the website is successfully making the portfolio piece the hero.

########################################

About the Business Card:
                        • The text and logo are awfully tight to the edges let them breathe by using wider margins and maybe take copy down a couple point sizes

•*The font needs more variation, excluding the URL it all feels the same weight, like you have verbal diarrhea in literary form. Try using a less weighty family member of the same font for the "Graphic Design..." Actually is Innovation really necessary, IMO it's comes across a little forced.

• Try tightening up the tracking on your name, it feels a little too loose in comparison to the rest of the text

• IMO the hierarchy a business card should work for you, the way your's reads is that you would prefer people to contact you through your website (yes I see that you've blurred out your phone number and email). Your preferred method of correspondence should be prevalent, just after your name in the hierarchy.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                          Gonna scrap it all on one critique? Wow.
                          Well, I've been using that logo for nigh on 7 years now. It's time for a change. If I'm going to re-brand myself, I might as well go all the way.

The only thing I'm not losing is the name and domain "kellerwerks"

Without doing pages of thumbnails, I've already done up four new logo ideas:

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
                            A few things about the mock website layout:.
                            Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but that is not a mock website layout. That is one of my 12 printed portfolio pieces.

I would be interested in hearing other opinions about the photo. It was taken by this guy, who does all of the photography for my current company. If it's not up to to snuff, I don't know how much better I could do with my own camera, and I don't relish the idea of hiring a new photographer. That's the element I feel I have the least control over, but let me hear your opinions anyway. I'll do whatever I have to.
                            Last edited by kellerwerks; 06-19-2012, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kellerwerks View Post
                              Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but that is not a mock website layout. That is one of my 12 printed portfolio pieces.

I would be interested in hearing other opinions about the photo. It was taken by this guy, who does all of the photography for my current company. If it's not up to to snuff, I don't know how much better I could do with my own camera, and I don't relish the idea of hiring a new photographer. That's the element I feel I have the least control over, but let me hear your opinions anyway. I'll do whatever I have to.
                              My bad, minus the navigation comment, the rest is transferrable to a portfolio page. I took a quick peek at the Photographer's website, it looks like he does some nice work, which makes me wonder if the problem stemmed from art direction or the lack of it.

How current is this project anyways?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X