Hot Sauce Logo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Sauce Logo

Hello everyone I am a freshman in college and our assignment for this week is to create our own hot sauce logo. Please give feedback on the name of the hot sauce and the pictures.
    Attached Files
    Trap

Welcome trap843!

When you get settled please read this as well as these very important threads. They will give you all the info you need on how the forum runs, the rules and regs, and give you some background info on our long running, inside jokes
    I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

Welcome to the forum, trip.

I deleted your duplicate post, in case you wonder where it's gone.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Humid? Why? The name would doom the sauce to failure IMO. Plus a cartoony logo like that would say, cheep watered down, hot sauce to me.

Comment

I dont know a ton about graphic communications but i agree with skribe
          The name just doesnt work. Humid? though its cliche things along the lines of fire would work better. Also using an adjective and getting rid of hot might work. Like inferno sauce for a quick example.
          The first one works the best but the cartoon logo says dollar general store to me.

So basicly just fully agreeing with skribe here :3
          Im a complete noob at graphic design so please explain everything you say thoroughly

Comment

Not the answer you wanted to hear, but like I've done before, I'm going to question the worth of the assignment. Why, you say? Glad you asked. Food products don't typically have logos. Instead, you'll see a label that's been designed with consistent branding and typography to make, say, the XXX Mild Hot Sauce match the XXX Medium Hot Sauce sitting on the shelf next to it. Most any logos you find on the packages will be for the company or brand that makes that particular item.

With that said, are you just designing a stand-alone logo, or are you designing a look or branding for a label? They're not the same thing. A stand-alone logo typically wouldn't be an elaborate illustration of the sort that you've sketched out, whereas a label might easily incorporate that kind of a look.

So heading on downstairs with my iPhone camera, I just happened to have a bottle of delicious Frog Ranch hot sauce sitting next to the pumpkin on our deck in the evening light (sorry about the reflection). As you can see, there's not a logo in sight, but there's plenty of branding — all the way from the memorable name to the lazy frog to the logotype that spells out Frog Ranch.

As an example, it's pretty good. It demonstrates the importance of a label, shows the differentiation between product branding by means of a label as opposed to a stand-alone logo, and it shows that a counter-intuitive name, like Frog Ranch or Humid, can work if it's memorable and tickles people's funnybones. Although, there's not anything particularly funny about sweat and humidity.

Of your three sketches, however, I'm probably thinking that the top one has the most possibilities — at least in terms of a quirky illustration. I'm not so sure that the map of South Carolina is going to ring much of a bell outside the state, so I'd be inclined to stay away from that one. The bottom sketch, I don't know, it could work if the illustration was great. But the idea of a sweaty-headed guy who appears to have just been goosed isn't exactly an award winner. And what's with the i in humid? It looks like a chimney belching out smoke. I'd skip that.

Think in terms of how this logo will be used, and one thing's for sure — it'll be used on the label of a bottle of hot sauce that needs to grab shoppers' attention. And it'll need to make a good first impression as they stroll down the supermarket aisles with their shopping carts.
            Last edited by B; 11-03-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Isn't that salsa? When I think of hot sauce I generally think of this.
              Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Being from New Zealand, I think if this.

Which is similar to the Tabasco design now that I compare them.
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by PanToshi View Post
                  Isn't that salsa? When I think of hot sauce I generally think of this.
                  Yeah, probably right. Salsa pretty much means sauce in Spanish, so I tend to mix them up.

The Tobasco sauce example you gave is interesting in that it, unlike everything I said previously, is a product that really does have its own logo of sorts. But I'm not sure that the company that makes it, McIlhenny Co., sells anything but their Tobasco sauce, so the Tobasco logo/brand is synonymous with the company itself.

Interestingly, at least to me, as their Tabasco line of hot sauces has expanded, they've needed to alter their logo on the different labels to accommodate the differences between their sauces, like the image below. I don't know what they'd do if they decided to branch out into something else, like spaghetti sauce or bottled gravy or whatever. Brand extensions only work so far before they start diluting the original brand.

I guess my bottom line is that I think companies are usually better off with traditional logos, while their products are usually better served by branding that consists of recognizable packaging and labels, but not so much logos in the usual sense.

Last edited by B; 11-04-2012, 07:17 PM.

Comment

forgive me but none of these illustrations do it for me - rather I'd run in the other direction.
                    When I think of hot sauce I don't want to feel 'so hot I'm wilting' (definitely not appetizing) but fiery hot kablam! H O T sauce!

Comment

I agree with <b>; the top one has the most potential.

Comment

Opinions?

I can somewhat agree with taking the hot out and the cartoon logo is something that is suppose to be catchy. Using a word meaning fire would be the same as all the other hot sauces so I was trying not to be the same as everybody else. I agree thought, when you think hot sauce you think fire but yet you dont get burned you sweat. Might feel like its burning when its coming out but you will definitely be sweating when it does Think about it that way then please comment again need this for class and I like to hear other people opinions as well.
                        Trap

Comment

I think you could go two different directions with a hot sauce. You can go goofy - cartoony - like "Devil's Spit" or "Demon Venom" or something serious like "Station 56," or "McGillicutty Select."

Depending on your audience/intended buyer you would design the label accordingly. So, if I want my sauce to be the hottest sauce this side 'o hell and I am going to sell it in South Carolina kitchy gift shops - I may want a cheezball cartoon.

If on the other hand, I want to sell it at Whole Foods, I want to do something clean and classy and choose a name that says the same.

Comment

I can somewhat agree with taking the hot out and the cartoon logo is something that is suppose to be catchy. Using a word meaning fire would be the same as all the other hot sauces so I was trying not to be the same as everybody else. I agree thought, when you think hot sauce you think fire but yet you dont get burned you sweat. Might feel like its burning when its coming out but you will definitely be sweating when it does Think about it that way then please comment again need this for class and I like to hear other people opinions as well.
                            Trap

Comment

<b> you make a good point all of you do and I appreciate your comments first time having to use my brain like this lol. I dont want to change the name because I think it can be catchy so more ideas on the design would be great. Remember this is for class so I am not trying to create my own hot sauce logo to market only for class and learning experience.
                              Trap

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X