Hot Sauce Logo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by <b> View Post
    Not the answer you wanted to hear, but like I've done before, I'm going to question the worth of the assignment. Why, you say? Glad you asked. Food products don't typically have logos. Instead, you'll see a label that's been designed with consistent branding and typography to make, say, the XXX Mild Hot Sauce match the XXX Medium Hot Sauce sitting on the shelf next to it. Most any logos you find on the packages will be for the company or brand that makes that particular item.

With that said, are you just designing a stand-alone logo, or are you designing a look or branding for a label? They're not the same thing. A stand-alone logo typically wouldn't be an elaborate illustration of the sort that you've sketched out, whereas a label might easily incorporate that kind of a look.

So heading on downstairs with my iPhone camera, I just happened to have a bottle of delicious Frog Ranch hot sauce sitting next to the pumpkin on our deck in the evening light (sorry about the reflection). As you can see, there's not a logo in sight, but there's plenty of branding — all the way from the memorable name to the lazy frog to the logotype that spells out Frog Ranch.

As an example, it's pretty good. It demonstrates the importance of a label, shows the differentiation between product branding by means of a label as opposed to a stand-alone logo, and it shows that a counter-intuitive name, like Frog Ranch or Humid, can work if it's memorable and tickles people's funnybones. Although, there's not anything particularly funny about sweat and humidity.

Of your three sketches, however, I'm probably thinking that the top one has the most possibilities — at least in terms of a quirky illustration. I'm not so sure that the map of South Carolina is going to ring much of a bell outside the state, so I'd be inclined to stay away from that one. The bottom sketch, I don't know, it could work if the illustration was great. But the idea of a sweaty-headed guy who appears to have just been goosed isn't exactly an award winner. And what's with the i in humid? It looks like a chimney belching out smoke. I'd skip that.

Think in terms of how this logo will be used, and one thing's for sure — it'll be used on the label of a bottle of hot sauce that needs to grab shoppers' attention. And it'll need to make a good first impression as they stroll down the supermarket aisles with their shopping carts.
    how do you know that the assignment will not end in that logo being placed on a custom label? making said assignment a bit more relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by trap843 View Post
      <b> you make a good point all of you do and I appreciate your comments first time having to use my brain like this lol. I dont want to change the name because I think it can be catchy so more ideas on the design would be great. Remember this is for class so I am not trying to create my own hot sauce logo to market only for class and learning experience.
      While this may be for a class, your main goal is to be working in the Real World some day. Don't consider your assignments 'only for class'.
      As for more ideas, that's your job now. You come up with the ideas, we'll shoot em down.

But don't just cowtow to the opinions here. If you feel you have a really strong design, fight for it. Have reasons for doing what you do in a design and be able to defend your choices. You'll get a lot of opinions here from newbs to pros. Don't take everything you read as gospel truth.

It actually sorta strikes me as funny that <b>'s comments may be brought up in a design class. I'd be real interested in how a professor would respond to those comments being aired out in the open. <people here are wondering why I'm smiling so early in the morning on what is going to be a hellacious day...>
      Last edited by PrintDriver; 11-06-2012, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Apart from the name, the three of these concepts have one thing in common, try applying that one thing to text, you could end up with a very smart looking label/logo.
        Design is not decoration.

Comment

sweating

Comment

Originally posted by engineer View Post
            sweating
            you were supposed to leave something for the OP to figure out... That's why I didn't out right say it...

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
              you were supposed to leave something for the OP to figure out... That's why I didn't out right say it...
              Sorry, mods feel free to delete ... maybe he hasn't checked in yet.

I kinda wanted to know myself tho if that's what you meant.

Comment

Originally posted by trap843 View Post
                Might feel like its burning when its coming out but you will definitely be sweating when it does Think about it that way then please comment again need this for class and I like to hear other people opinions as well.
                Trap, the thing is a logo needs to make a visceral unconsious connection with the viewer. Logos are not a mental thing.
                Someone gets a feeling, they like it or don't.

It's not about thinking 'hmmm, hot, sweat..... yeah I get it!'

They'll think 'sweaty' and the feeling that goes with that is 'sticky, uncomfortable, icky, (smelly)'
                and that's the feeling they'll take away from your logo, which is not something that will attract anyone.

If you did an R. Crumb (google him) style cartoon you might be able to pull it off though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel B View Post
                  Trap, the thing is a logo needs to make a visceral unconsious connection with the viewer. Logos are not a mental thing.
                  Someone gets a feeling, they like it or don't.

It's not about thinking 'hmmm, hot, sweat..... yeah I get it!'

They'll think 'sweaty' and the feeling that goes with that is 'sticky, uncomfortable, icky, (smelly)' and that's the feeling they'll take away from your logo, which is not something that will attract anyone.
                  Being a person who has a collection of hot sauces, the more extreme ones do make you sweat, to a person who likes hot, that is a good thing. The thing with hot sauce is that the product has to live up to it's name/branding/packaging or it won't be a repeat purchase. In other words if the packaging infers that it'll make me sweat, it better.

Comment

Kerning too bad you weren't in NY when I was back in the day of Indian restaurants with meals for $1 - we'd all go out for Indian, order it hot and sit there with tears running down our faces and blowing our noses while we ate our yummy food.
                    You'd've fit right in

(But I still don't find the image of sweaty enticing in hot sauce.)

Comment

surprisingly, I'm not an indian food kinda guy, probably because there isn't much in the way of indian food around here. I'd have to go into "the city" and thats the one place I avoid going.

I suppose I'm picturing a respectable perspiration oppose to a sweaty guy with back hair and a mustard stain on his greasy wife beater.

Comment

I was picturing melting letters.

Comment

yeah, I've got the sweaty guy in the wifebeater in my brain. smelly as well

Comment

Hot Sauce Logo again

So I decided to redo the name and the logo. Please let me know what you all think about this one. Which one is better and if there is something that could improve it please comment on it. This is not the final copy I still have to do a background. This is for a project in class creating our own hot sauce name and logo then creating it in Illustrator and making it into a actual logo to go on a bottle. All comments are welcome and appreciated.
                            Attached Files
                            Trap

Comment

First flaw. Satin is a fabric, satan is the horned fellow.

The second option works better with the name

Comment

Originally posted by zane080691 View Post
                                how do you know that the assignment will not end in that logo being placed on a custom label? making said assignment a bit more relevant.
                                I don't know that. The assignment might also end with it being branded on a cow's butt. My point, though, was that logos, bottle labels (and cattle brands) aren't generally synonymous.

Originally posted by trap843
                                So I decided to redo the name and the logo.
                                It seems that you might be thinking that the assignment is to draw a clever cartoon instead of designing a logo or a label. A cartoonish illustration could certainly make a good label, but it's far from the only possibility.
                                Last edited by B; 11-10-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Craig B
                                  Reply to Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                                  Craig B
                                  I think what you described is fairly typical of most jobs. I'm not saying it's identical but I do web design, email design, interactive apps, collateral, booth graphics, signage, posters, advertising,...
                                  Today, 10:46 AM
                                • Colton819
                                  Reply to Getting a image ready for print
                                  Colton819
                                  So I tried doing Pantone colors but obviously they just couldn’t match close enough. The image I posted is actually a vector format I created a raster format then converted to vector in illustrator. I...
                                  Today, 08:47 AM
                                • leaagg
                                  Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                                  leaagg
                                  Hello,

I am a French designer working for a Turkish company (in turkey).
                                  I am now currently working on my updated portfolio because my main goal is QUIT !! The working conditions in...
                                  Today, 07:57 AM
                                • PrintDriver
                                  Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
                                  PrintDriver
                                  Do people still use QR codes?
                                  Two phones ago I downloaded an app just to check that a client's QR code was linking properly when printed. 4 years later now, and that app has never been used again....
                                  Today, 07:06 AM
                                • PrintDriver
                                  Comment on Getting a image ready for print
                                  PrintDriver
                                  Way too much sharing there, hank..........
                                  Today, 06:51 AM
                                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X