Hot Sauce Logo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shouldn't it be Satan's Mistress?

You look like you're going too far away from what a logo should be. Too much detail, too sterile. If you want to use a figure like those above try and stylise it, like a sport's logo. Some of those are terrible, i know, but the good ones have an energy yours is missing.

Comment

Ah, to be able to change the concept and the name on a whim...
      Do that while you can.
      In the real world, you are given a concept, a set of parameters, and an impossible deadline. If your teacher was helping you out, everyone in the class would be doing the same business name, you would know if you were creating a brand that includes a label or if you were designing a logo to accompany a brand, and you would have some guidance on the target market, perhaps half the class aiming for high-end retail and the other half to the adventurous consumer. There would be a date when the concept sketches are due (you fail the project if you miss it) and there would be a due date for finished concepts (if you miss this due date, you should probably wash out of the course.)

Half the problem with letting the student decide what to do is they don't know what questions to ask or what they should be aiming for. They waste valuable learning time coming up with a brief out of thin air when they don't really know how, then throw everything out when they can't come up with a concept. That is not a habit you should get used to.
      Last edited by PrintDriver; 11-11-2012, 06:28 AM.

Comment

I didn't make myself clear so I'm sorry about that. I want a cartoon logo. That's the design I want for my logo not trying to keep it the same as everybody else and if this were a real brand I was creating the logo don't really matter it would be the quality of the hot sauce. When have you ever heard someone say I love this hot sauce because of it's label? Anyways your opinions are still appreciated but please understand that before you comment this project is to see our creativity so keep comments based on that please. Oh, and it is Satan's Mistress didn't notice it until you said something lol so thanks.
        Last edited by trap843; 11-11-2012, 10:02 PM. Reason: adding more words.
        Trap

Comment

Originally posted by trap843 View Post
          ...if this were a real brand I was creating the logo don't really matter it would be the quality of the hot sauce. When have you ever heard someone say I love this hot sauce because of it's label?

...this project is to see our creativity...
          So well-designed packaging doesn't really matter and, because of this, good design is unimportant? And since the assignment is about creativity, your designs shouldn't be hobbled by silly practical considerations?

Are you a design student in an actual career-path design program? If so, you might have some difficult days ahead of you.

Comment

The label is what makes someone pick up that bottle of hot sauce over any of the other 60 on the shelf. The logo itself, as part of the label branding is very important as an overarching definition of the product line.
            Design isn't created in a vacuum. Sure you can probably do a project called, "create a hot sauce label" but if you don't know why you are doing it and don't take the marketing considerations of design into account, the exercise is totally wasted time.

I'm not saying you should be keeping your branding the same as everyone else. I'm saying the brief for the entire class should be the same so you can compare different solutions for the same marketing goal. If the class is broken up into two to four goals, you learn even more. What are you learning when all you have to do is come up with a cartoon and a name on a label? Even the small amount of info you might learn about heirarchy and layout is nothing compared to what you should be learning from such an exercise.

Feel free to bring this post to your educator's attention. I'd love to debate it with them.

Comment

Originally posted by trap843 View Post
              That's the design I want for my logo not trying to keep it the same as everybody else and if this were a real brand I was creating the logo don't really matter it would be the quality of the hot sauce. When have you ever heard someone say I love this hot sauce because of it's label? Anyways your opinions are still appreciated but please understand that before you comment this project is to see our creativity so keep comments based on that please. Oh, and it is Satan's Mistress didn't notice it until you said something lol so thanks.
              Wrong.
              Design is everything to what you are selling. Everything. Look what happened when the Gap tried to change their logo.
              People become loyal to a brand because of the product and the image a company creates. Probably more because of the image than the actual product.
              ...Levi's, Calvin Klein, Victorias Secret, Nike, etc etc etc
              (Wasn't there a blind study done where people were given pepsi and coke, and they all preferred the taste of pepsi, but when asked said they preferred coke?)

It doesn't matter what kind of logo you want to do - cartoon or anything else, the thing is it has to 'work'. It has to speak to people. So far none of your potential logos is doing that.

Comment

Satin Mistress is the character. Dresses only in satin.

I don't think your lecturer/instructor explained what the logo design process is or that there is one. Because you should have started with a brief either written by yourself (and approved) or been given one.

If you have one, please post it up. But, to be fair, one week is too short for a class logo design project. It doesn't give you enough time to thoroughly research and explore concepts - which will teach you how to design effective logos rather than rush out a pretty icon that is agreeable.

There is a sticky I believe describing the logo design process, or you can just google it and many have well written guides.

Comment

Maybe this is one of those starter lessons where the instructor asks them to do something, then points out everything wrong with their approach.

Concerning the actual logo, I wouldn't use words that you don't know how to spell properly if you're allowed to choose your brand name. You run the risk of doing a really stupid error that will completely change the image you're trying to sell.

Have you researched logos that use 'cartoons'? Do you have a moodboard full of stuff you think you want to emulate or get inspiration from? Have you researched other logos for similar products? You look like you haven't done any research at all before sitting down and drawing. You can't create in a bubble.
                  Portfolio // Behance

Comment

I really suspect (and hope) that this project was a first semester learning experience. The OP is probably well into their second semester of the year and I'm sure thinks very little of the advice given in this thread, as they haven't been back in quite some time.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X