Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to in need of urgent help
    PrintDriver
    If someone pulls a prank, they're the arse. Glad my boss doesn't take kindly to pranks. We have fun, of course, but anything that costs the company money? Not so much.
    Yesterday, 11:18 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to New design lover here
    Buda
    Welcome Sasa.
    Yesterday, 10:13 PM
  • Buda
    Buda
    I agree, the borders are too heavy.

Don't stretch the text. Use it at 100% scale only.

Personally, I don't think you need vertical lines at all. Just horizontal rules would...
    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Business Card Critique
    Buda
    The back and the front look like branding for two completely different businesses.

What pt size is your contact details? It looks a bit too small from here. I wouldn't go under 8pt. You might...
    Yesterday, 10:09 PM
  • PanToshi
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF ralf

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Yesterday, 09:48 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK gang, its been modified! Check it out!

New direction with a modified clip art. I'll changethe clipartwhen I have more time. Wow! Ignore the green, not what I expected.

Post Edited (9iron) : 4/13/2005 2:29:25 PM GMT

I would use a different color than white for the name it blurs to much with the white background. I like the drywall part, but the genuinty doesn't sit real wel with me. I think the problem that occurs is that your using 3 different type sets which really throws off the balance. The script font works well with the clip art but not with the other stuff. So I would probable change the font you used for 'genuinty' and the name, phone, etc to script or the drywall font. Good start just work with the type a bit. Oh and when your writing phone numbers use periods as spacers makes it really clean looking, for example 206.343.5555
    Bobbysky
    Site // Blog

Comment

I agree with Robert1, I don't think that stylized font in 'genuity' is working. Something a bit simpler and I think you've about 'nailed it' (har har).

Also? Is the nail supposed to be showing on the other side of the 'l'? I know nothing about drywall, maybe that's intentional. But if not, nudge it to the right a smidge.

Much better overall. [img]/DesktopModules/dotNetBB/emoticons/specool.gif[/img]
      You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

My eyesssss, my eyesssss, it hurts to see it. But seriously you did said to ignore the color, you just need to adjust the spacing in between the letters in 'personal' and I think everything should be ok! That is when you adjust the color....

Comment

oh yeah, and just use two types of fonts instead of three.

Comment

I like those suggestions. Thanks for your input. I'll post the adjustments and see what you think.

Comment

Here's the changes. Well! Wha do ya think??

Comment

I REALLY like this. Not sure about the green as the color of choice, but it is a nicely done card (I can't design like that, my stuff is old-fashioned streamline classy, I don't do the really creative illustrations or anything).

P.S. I personally liked the first card better? Don't ask me why, I can't put a finger on it.

when it comes to certain clients, remind yourself:
                You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I'm an ARTIST, not a MAGICIAN!
                it's deadline and I'm GROUCHY.

Comment

Better. You are moving in the right direction, definitely. It's *almost* a great design.

[img]/DesktopModules/dotNetBB/emoticons/thumbsup.gif[/img]

One thing I'm wondering, are you stretching the text to make it align the way you want it? I see what you're going for, but I think you're losing the integrity of the type by doing so. (Respect the type, don't push and pull it around to make it fit -- if you can't make it work any other way, you've got to rethink it).

I hope you don't mind, but I have attached an idea for you -- use the same text from 'drywall' in the logo. See what you think.

Some of this is my own personal opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

I could very well say 'good job' because you've improved this soooooo much. But, I'd like to push you a bit further and I hope that's ok. I think at this point in the game, you need to step back and think about what you can clean up. Less is more. My mantra is, 'when everything is emphasized, nothing is emphasized.' I think you may be trying to 'fill up the space' ... but actually, when you give things a little room and space to breathe, they actually stand out even more.

You've cleaned up the type quite a bit by minimizing the number of fonts, but you can take that a step further. How many different sizes and treatments are you using? Every thing you do that is *different* adds to the number of design elements competing for attention. Some things need to be plain and sit nicely in the background so other things can SHOUT. Think about what you want to prioritize and what you're going to do about that, because it's not random.

I really hope you post your final version, it's been so fun watching your process. You are doing a great job!!

Ok, here is that idea for you, maybe it will help maybe not.
                  You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

Greyghost, I was thinking the same thing. I think it's because there was more whitespace in the first design, it was just a little bit cleaner. I am really excited to see if 9iron takes this a step further because it has the potential to be one bada$$ design. And I would hate to imagine what I would come up with for a drywall contractor, it's not easy to make something like that sexy sexy sexaaaaaaaaay. lol

Comment

Yes this design is starting to get there but much more work needs to be done. First off like EC said about type, I would make the address and phone numbers a smaller type, or a least a light weight of the font your using(hopefully it has more weights then just regular, bold, italics) Right now genuity, address, name, and phone numbers all look about the same weight and are fighting for the eye. It's getting there keep plugging. O

Ps. Lose the gradient thiing on the arm, not good
                      Bobbysky
                      Site // Blog

Comment

Thanks EC, I like that. I'll take all of your suggestions and get back to you.

Comment

OOOH - I had seen that gradient in the second one but didn't realize it wasn;t in the first one. Lose it, definitely. It pulls your eye right there, it;s the only big, thick line in that illustration.

when it comes to certain clients, remind yourself:
                          You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I'm an ARTIST, not a MAGICIAN!
                          it's deadline and I'm GROUCHY.

Comment

It's cleaner but is it right? [img]/DesktopModules/dotNetBB/emoticons/yeah.gif[/img] Wow again! What's with my green's??

Comment

9iron, great first concept, maybe reverse the type to white in the green field.
                              I would love to see a couple more ideas.

Graphics & Design on Demand
                              Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
                              Through the Looking Glass

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X