Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• skribe
    Reply to New Firefox Developer Edition
    skribe
    I still using both actually. I think Chrome's responsive and mobile views/tools are nicer than Firefox, and since I have taken to using Brackets text editor for doing a lot of my development work, I end...
    Today, 12:02 PM
  • skribe
    Reply to New Firefox Developer Edition
    skribe
    Welcome abivillanueva!

As you are a new member please take a few minutes and read though our rules and guidelines for new members. The following links should get you up to speed.
    Today, 11:58 AM
  • StudioMonkey
    Reply to Anyone else only have a diploma┬┐?
    StudioMonkey
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Frodo. Don't give up - your skills are valuable. Maybe you need to look at a different job title than Graphic Designer. Studio artworker, Mac operator, etc. all...
    Today, 11:50 AM
  • ChrisDudley
    Reply to Create neural looking network in Illustrator
    ChrisDudley
    I would recommend drawing it by hand, scanning in and tracing it if you're looking to create something that actually looks like a neural network. There's no setting in Illustrator that's going to take...
    Today, 10:03 AM
  • ChrisDudley
    Reply to Working on a logo for myself
    ChrisDudley
    I think this is a case of having settled too early in the design process. I do like the idea - breathing life into old designs. I think that has legs. But I don't love the execution particularly, specifically...
    Today, 09:56 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revamped Website

Hey all of your beautiful people. I just wrapped up the intial work on a redesigned site for one of my band's and I wanted to get your feedback on the design/vibe. All content will load into an iframe where the screen is. Just FYI.

http://www.wideawakeband.com (current site)

http://www.wideawakeband.com/os/osindex.html (revamped)

Thanks for your feedback!

-----------------------------------
    UPDATE

Once again, thanks to everyone for their comments. It definitely got me thinking and this is what I came up with. Secondary content linked with the t.v. iframe will be loaded into the picture frame iframe. In addition, the logo of my band will be lightly watermarked on the t.v. screen. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

http://www.wideawakeband.com/os/new/osindexalt.html
    Last edited by G-Man79; 04-21-2005, 07:55 PM. Reason: Updated Item
    Official lunchboxbrain blog

funkay. I love it! It's far improved and very fun.
    You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

I don't know about the Tv

The Tv just seems a little over done by other people. And my friends partents owns that exact T.V. and it's very ugly. Also if your going to be putting content on the tube, your not going to fit very much, or it's going to be to small to even read.

I also don't really like the photoshop bevel effects on the nav, as well as the beveled buttons. That is a very old school trick and it makes the site look old school.

IMO I would start over. Your a band, make the site represent your music or something. Bring a some soul out. Right now as it stands it's not very inviting to me. Check out some other band sites and see what they do, maybe that will give you an idea. Sorry if this is so harsh but it's the truth, and if you want to grow you got to hear it.
      Bobbysky
      Site // Blog

Comment

correction, it's YOUR truth. Without knowing more about the band and the band's following, how can you assume that this design does NOT represent their music? You also assume that the designer hasn't considered the constraints of the size of the content area ... but maybe he has?! Maybe he plans on using an i-frame? Maybe it will be a flash movie? Why would you assume that he'll use unreadable type?

Sorry to be harsh, but if you're going to give feedback like "it's ugly" and "I don't really like" needs to be supported with evidence that his audience will respond the same way.

This is a funky retro look to me, something that might be appropriate for a band like Weezer for instance. Who are, "old school" and sort of nerdy -- but make that vibe very very hip, trendy & cool.
        You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

Ec

I thought I did back up my argument. I feel that the TV deal is way over used. Yes your right I shouldn't assume what their band is all about with out talking more with them, but I did check out there old site as well. I feel that tv is very ugly though IMO. I just think it looks tacky to have a flat 2d tv with a beveled remote controller with beveled buttons. I explained that photoshop plug-ins are way overused and don't really look that cool anymore. Sorry personal opinion as well.

EC the problem is that telling them "funky much better then your first" isn't really a critique either. I thought that is what this website is for, to get better. I personally don't think it's very good sorry. I explained my reasons and that is that. If you don't like what I said, then don't take my advice. But don't personally attack me because I have expressed my opinions. When you critique my stuff I would never attack back at someones opinion unless I knew that I was right. But usually I'm not right so I take what you guys say and use it. That's how you grow my friend. So I'm sorry that I offend this person but it's not personal.
          Bobbysky
          Site // Blog

Comment

bobby! ec! both of you - separate corners!

haha. i always wanted to do that.

kids, if g-man was offended by bobby's comments, then g-man can rebut.

if you want to start a slinging match, then start your own thread and let g-man continue to get critiques (both good and bad) in this one.

ahhhhhthankyouverymuch.

Comment

Hey GMan - I really like the feel of the new site. Love the colors and the idea of using the remote for navigation. Very clever and a fun concept!

Is that tv a photo? It looks like a real nice 3-d render. Nice work. I like it a lot.
              "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I think it's definetly much improved. Good vibe, it's that tv everyone (or everyone's uncle/aunt had). (-:

A couple of suggestions: centre the screen -- way in the corner like that is like craning your neck to see the tv, annoying.

The whole thing is retro, but I'm not sure if the font for the remote buttons matches the theme. It seems modern in comparison. Also, and this might just be personal, but having three different sizes of fonts on the remote seems a) not really like a remote, and b) it has this wierd shrinking effect as you look down the list. Anyway, personally, I almost never like different sizes on nav buttons; it just looks inconsistent.

That's all from me. I look foreward to seeing it when it's all finished. (-:

--Mariana
                Last edited by mariana; 04-21-2005, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Everyone, thanks for the comments. Couple of things to address I suppose...

Bobbysky: As far as the bevel effect, yes it has been done before (possibly to death a few years back), but as a designer I feel I have to master the old ways before I start blazing some new trails. I see your point though and it definitely is something to think about.

EC: Thanks for getting my back And yes, we're definitely going for an old school feel with this version (hence the "os" in the URL)

Mariana: The nav fonts are definitely just a place holder until I find the perfect font. Still testing and browsing around but thank you for input.

Morea: That tv is part photo, part photoshop, I call it "Frankenvision".

I also thought about content management and am considering mocking up some buttons to go on the right panel of the tv rather than a remote and then creating a sweet a$$ velvet painting which will be hanging from the wall. Additional content linked from within the iframe of the t.v. will load there.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this. I'll post up when the next version is up and functional!

P.S. - As far as the vibe of my band, add two parts Guster, two parts James Brown, and one part Ben Harper.

Comment

this thread is useless without an audio link...

Comment

Sho 'nuff

http://www.wideawakeband.com/misc/anythingspossible.mp3

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                      Working...
                      X