Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazine Spreads

Gday...

Just been working on these two spreads for university:
    The brief topic was based on typographic communication in the urban and rural environment. We where meant to express this through our images and layout. The spread must include 1200words min.

We had to design 2 layouts, one contemporary and one conservative.
    Critique away, any comments or ideas would be appreciated!

I think they're both very good. I like the look of the first layout better, it's more original. But you say you have a 1200 word minimum? That's a lot of words. I think on that first one the type is way too small, it looks like 7 or 6 point which isn't a very good size for reading long blocks of text. As for the design though I like it a lot.
    Last edited by keith1; 05-23-2005, 01:48 PM.

Comment

The text also gets cut off at the bottom. Is this supposed to be more artsy like a David Carson piece?

Comment

thanks for your comment, the type is actually 8pt on 10pt.
        I guess the scaling doesn't help much, considering the full spread is actually 500x310mm.
        But you are right, i have a bit of a space issue on the contemporary layout, still working on it

Comment

first layout if nice but the test is real small and also having it at an angler like that is a huge turnoff. Readers are lazy and if they have to turn something to read, most likely they won't.
          "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

Quite true... i like the angles though...in regard to a contemporary representation...or is that just me?...eh...

Comment

I think 9pt. is a pretty popular size in magazine copy, depending on the font of course. If this is just for a school project i wouldn't worry about changing the angler paragraphs. I think it makes it more original or experimental looking. Nobody is gonna read it anyway, it looks like Lorem ipsum. However if it were an actual article that the editor wanted to be read this would defintely be not a good choice, unless it was a lead in paragraph at a very large point size at this angle. I guess it all depends on what are the objectives that your teacher has set for the project.

Comment

hehehe yeah thats good ol'e placeholder text... don't worry, im not changing the angles, may aswell experiment now, since this is about as much freedom i'll ever get for something like this...

Adam

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X