Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Are you interested in selling your company?
    KitchWitch
    Hi 858 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 04:28 AM
  • thebombman53
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    thebombman53
    I know of those sites - I actually have profiles on them. The point of building it myself is to give me practice with web design. Again, why I'm here asking for criticism. If you have any feedback, it...
    Today, 01:02 AM
  • Buster_
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    Buster_
    I can appreciate that you're trying to build your site from scratch, but why not use a portfolio hosting site that offers free templates until you're more comfortable with web design? There are plenty...
    Today, 12:05 AM
  • salsa
    Reply to Getting started...
    salsa
    If you're not sure you're making enough, figure out you income per hour and take into account all your expenses and overhead and blah blah blah. It takes some time to put together the spreadheets, or...
    Today, 12:02 AM
  • salsa
    Comment on Crit on my first business card? No client, experimental.
    salsa
    em: —
    en: –
    hypehn: -
    Yesterday, 11:53 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique the church magazine front cover

Hi guys

I'm a graphic design newbie and am after a little advice and critique for this design I have done for our church magazine called Rays:

We run a special service called Power Praise which is now coming to an end so I wanted something with people from our worship team on it. I used PSP7 because I am cheap! Any criticism or advice is greatly appreciated - you get better by listening to people who are already better than you!
    mrbelfry is adequately prepared to rock
    blogbelfry
    Lighthouse

nice phto composition, I think the colors are tossing me for a looop tho, the browns and the purp with pink create a very stark contrast that is somewhat...unsettling. I get some interesting reads from this image, I like the dock image, provides some thought and retrospective. The girls head floating up from the guitar player make me think he's playing for her, while thinking of her. The head in the purple block is fine, he is praising, but the person to the left seems to be rising from a pile of bones...

I hope this isnt harsh, just trying to offer some direction for you in the image.

...maybe something simple should be explored to mrbelfry...check out Casting Crowns latest cd cover, or maybe switchfoots "beautiful letdown" cover
    Tapp-d
    "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

very busy.
      "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

The crotch area of the gentleman to the left, could be too questionable. With the title 'rays' and all that mess that is coming from around the same region ... it could be very unsettling for church goers.

Comment

I like the dock image, and I like the collage, but I don't like them together. Either make the dock more stylized, or maket he collage a little closer to local color. Also, having some people in posterized mode, while having others in photoreal mode is a little uneven. You've got something here, but it needs more "love" to be complete. Work on it more. Maybe do some interesting layer work. Blend some of these things together using layer masks. Also, the "Rays" text should stand out a bit more, shouldn't it?

Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Ulysses
            The crotch area of the gentleman to the left, could be too questionable.
            That has just made me laugh so much! I can't imagine anyone thinking Woody's crotch area is questionable but maybe his wife would! Although now you mention it it does look a little dodgy.
            Originally posted by Drorain
            ...maybe something simple should be explored to mrbelfry...check out Casting Crowns latest cd cover, or maybe switchfoots "beautiful letdown" cover
            I love the switchfoot cover - it's one of my favourites and I was thinking about doing something similar on the back of the magazine as an ad for the last ever event.

Thanks for all your comments so far. I'll tidy it up a little, play with the colours etc and post a refined version over the next couple of days for your thoughts. Don't worry about being harsh I am making stuff up as I go along and really, really appreciate comments and ideas
            blogbelfry
            Lighthouse

Comment

I've messed around a little and tried to simplify the image: Please let me know what you think:

I tried to simplify it a little and make the colours hurts your eyes less. I've also got rid of 'questionable crotch' (still making me laugh). BUT I still feel it is missing something! Any ideas, comments or criticisms are greatly appreciated

Thanks

mrbelfry
              blogbelfry
              Lighthouse

Comment

Version 3:

Thanks, mrbelfry
                blogbelfry
                Lighthouse

Comment

Version two is much better. gives yuor eye a little "breathing" room. Is there going to be any text on this cover?
                  "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

I was thinking about putting a little leader on the front but not really sure where the space is now. It might be possible to squeeze in the space between the guitar and the floating head but I'm not sure. We normally produce the cover, stick it in Publisher and add any text on top. We've found this makes it much easier to keep the text sharp.

v.3 is currently may favourite (but changes every 5 minutes) and any text could be added near the bottom of the dock (it feels like there is a lot of space over there).

Thanks for the comments so far!
                    blogbelfry
                    Lighthouse

Comment

I like #2. It looks like the hand is coming from the girl whose face is in the upper right. It might look cool if you moved the guitarist to the right, and maybe posterize all the band members. And put "RAYS" bigger in the left bottom corner.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                      Working...
                      X