Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this logo work?

Hi all (<--new user)
    I am trying to create a new logo for myself that needs to be apparant the moment you look at it. The one one the left is a failure, 1 out of 7 people asked got it...the rest didn't. (They all saw part of it...but not the other)

The second idea on the right is hopefully a better solution but 2 things in the graphic need to be unmistakeable. I can't really say what its meant to be yet else this post would be rather useless
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ghastly; 05-28-2005, 01:56 PM.
    My head hurts
    ....................( I )
    ...................Ω

Hi Greg, welcome to the forum. I personally like the GA from the left one better LOL. I instantly saw the GA in both of them.

I like the bottom segment of the one on the right but it needs some work on the leding & kerning to balance it out a little better. I think this with a little more work and maybe a different font would make a great logo in its self.

Comment

Thanks for that Kool...the kerning and leading has been irritating me slightly with the second one too, I suppose i'll have to play around with that. Need to find out if the whole thing works first though

I am glad you got the GA bit but there is something else that i am trying to suggest in the graphic...It is for this reason that the left hand side on is a failure (people were seeing something other than what i was intending)
      Take your point with the font...its ariel....my system lacks a decent pool to choose from so i tend to play it safe with my font choices...(i don't want people to cringe at a *wrong* font choice such as brushscript or comic sans)

(those two fonts do have their applications but not for this piece)
      Last edited by Ghastly; 05-28-2005, 03:00 PM.
      My head hurts
      ...................Ω

Comment

The G hit me as some kind of dragon or bird. Am I close? Not getting anything from the A.

Comment

You are getting close, but the fact that you can't see it renders idea #2 a failure too perhaps. Ah well, back to the drawing board (that was a hint about the A)
          My head hurts
          ...................Ω

Comment

Ah Ha, it's an easel. And the G critter is drawing on it with it's tail?

Comment

hehe...99% correct. with the lefthand graphic it was easier to draw a 1 jointed *arm* with vector curves but too many people saw something else...the second drawn with straight lines to help accentuate the easel and hopefully then lead you to the demon drawing on it has 2 joints. The problem however is that it is very difficult to form the G with only 1.

Using this logo on the portfolio stuff I send out would be pointless at the moment though because I doubt there are many that would take the time to figure it out.
              My head hurts
              ...................Ω

Comment

I get it now. It was all those spikes or fins or whatever they are that threw me off as well as the head thing. If you took all of that stuff off of the first one and just made it straightforward curves it would be quite aparent what it is. I would like to see it simplified, even without the overhand loop on the G it would still stand out.

Comment

I'm probably denser than the average person on stuff like this though so lets see what some of the other members think. This forum tends to be a bit slow on weekends and this being a holiday weekend it will be slower than usual, but I'm sure a few will drift in today and give you some more opinions.

Comment

Thanks for your imput Kool...I have made some further modifications in order to further accentuate the easel, I have also toned down the spikes and made him look more like a dragon...what was once his arm shall now be a tail

I am not a big fan of bright and colourful but having spoken to my bro about it on the phone he suggested i throw several more in to draw attention to the dragon and easel as opposed to GA which should stick out like a sore tail. So though it pains me to make it more than one colour...I have.

(apologies with the quality but restrictions have forced me to upload it as lower quality gif)

*edit* I have slightly tweaked the background colours since posting, converting a flat tint of red to a radial gradient. that hopefully just looks like warm lighting.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Ghastly; 05-28-2005, 06:03 PM.
                    My head hurts
                    ...................Ω

Comment

Sweet!
                      Creativity is taking what is and bringing in what isn't.

Comment

Greg -

I immediately saw the G and A forming a critter drawing at an easel. I think it's more easily read as a G and A in the black and white version. The addition of the color seems to make it just that much more complicated. I do like the type treatment of the original one on the left - it's clean and simple. While adding the Graphic Artist to the G and A is clever, I think it clutters up the text area and makes things more difficult to read.

- J.
                        Jeff Fisher | Engineer of Creative Identity
                        Jeff Fisher LogoMotives | Twoot! Twoot!

Comment

Thanks for the advice jeff

Reading your post was all the excuse i needed to remove that pesky colour

my original concept for the type just seemed correct...my second is perhaps a bit too contrived, so i have reverted back. (but I have kept the same style because i like it )

I have left a slight grey to white gradient just to help the paper on the easel stand out for people that aren't immediately drawn to it.(of three people who have passed comments on whether they did or didn't get it..you are the only one that got it immediately.)

I clicked on the link to your site....really like that logo of yours jeff

*edit* not a change i'm gonna post just yet but i need perhaps to make my name a bit more flush centre (gotta keep jumping between two computers cos mine isn't on the net )
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Ghastly; 05-28-2005, 09:37 PM.
                          My head hurts
                          ...................Ω

Comment

Glad to see you applying energy to your typography as well. That should occupy a significant amount of your design time as well. Don't just 'throw some lettering there.

Here's a quickie I did before seeing your last post.
                            Attached Files
                            --Ciao for Niao--
                            Ethan

Comment

Thanks for your imput imagemaker..nice typography. I have to be careful with the text though because despite interesting variations I'm worried that it will upstage my graphic. I want to revert back to Arial and simple not because it looks clever or nice, but because it doesn't look wrong.

I have also removed the gradient in the background and changed the shape of my dragon (G) slightly..I think it looks like it looks better with the A now and things just look clean again. It seems to work as a stand alone logo too i think.

i still need to do some more *market research* though to find out if it does actually work (my own biased perception of it isn't the same as everyone elses)
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Ghastly; 05-29-2005, 01:49 PM.
                              My head hurts
                              ...................Ω

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X