Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Buda
    Reply to Have you met ...me
    Buda
    Hi Mike and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how the...
    Today, 01:23 AM
  • mikeengland
    Have you met ...me
    mikeengland
    Hello my name is Mike, my username gives it away. However I joined this forum for a few reasons including art crititques, expanding my learning, and improve myself as a professional. I am from Dayton,...
    Today, 01:10 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to A logo needs help
    Buda
    It looks like a logo for a dating website. I think you need a different concept.
    Today, 12:21 AM
  • Buda
    Comment on A New design agency with the mindset of 10-15 years ago…
    Buda
    I learn to pick my battles. Some clients will resist, others will listen and take on advice. But it can be tricky when your client is management.
    Today, 12:15 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Just rebranded my design company
    Buda
    Nice logo. I like how it's kinda looks spartan which in my opinion a very strong symbol.

The only things I would change is that in the BC and LH the logo looks very big compared to the s...
    Today, 12:13 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainbow Bridge - 3D Conceptual Work

OK,

I decided to post a link to the existing image on deviantArt for 2 reasons:

1. I don't want to size it down any in order to attach it to this post - Would result in detail loss

2. I'd like you guys to see as much detail as possible.

Anyways, the piece started out with me thinking "Is it possible to do a 3D scene ONLY in Photoshop?" I kept thinking about this question so much that I finally decided to try and see if it was at all possible. So this is how I did the piece:

I started out by using a vision I had in my head as inspiration and a guide for how I wanted the scene to look. Since I had never done 3D work in Photoshop, I knew it was going to take a whole lot of work before it would look good. So, I did some experimenting with perspective distortions on both rainbows and adjusted the opacity. The opcaity adjustments were a piece of cake but the perspective distortion was very difficult as I had to get both rainbows at the exact angle. Even then, after I finished, the 1 rainbow needed some work so I scaled it down and rotated it until it became a part of the other rainbow.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/19044044/

Comments/Criticisms are very welcome.

erm......you have placed a lens flare at the top right of your image which I assume is meant to represent the sun...may I ask why the moon is lit from the other side??? (the dogs also have a lighting inconsistency)
    Last edited by Ghastly; 06-06-2005, 10:29 AM.
    My head hurts
    ....................( I )
    ...................Ω

Comment

Umm...there are a few things that REALLY need fixing.

1) the front dog doesnt have a left front paw
      2) lighting inconsistancies with the dogs, and the dogs are low res
      3) the rainbow doesnt all flow. Theres a chop in the middle of it
      4) the back dog appears in front of the lens flare...which is kind of impossible.
      5) if that is the sun, the shadow on the moon would be on the other side...

I'd just take out the dogs, the rainbow, and the lens flares and try again...

------------------------------------------------------------------

"
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work."

-Thomas Alva Edison

------------------------------------------------

"
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

-James Dean

Comment

And the dog in front still has its original background in its...erm..."groin" area.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work."

-Thomas Alva Edison

------------------------------------------------

"
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

-James Dean

Comment

Flashkid...if it is a satire then this is great
          If not, then much like Wizdude says... it requires a few ahem...*minor adjustments*

another one of those being....given the amount of perspective you have tried to achieve with the rainbow, the dog in the background compared to the one in the forground would sort of be like.......a giant statue?
          Last edited by Ghastly; 06-06-2005, 01:22 PM.
          My head hurts
          ....................( I )
          ...................Ω

Comment

Well,

It's not supposed to be a real image but I think I wanna take out the moon anyhow - Just doesn't really fit in now that I think about it. As for the rainbow, I'm gonna have to leave it the way it is. I tried to fix the problems but they weren't cooperating.

And I'll get on the problem with the one dog

Comment

FYI....Here's the full poem, in case it helps tweak the visuals....

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
              While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Comment

oh man, nothing in that image fits.
                I work while you are all asleep...

Comment

I'm having trouble seeing how this is a "3D Scene." To me, it appears very flat and composited. Try to think about how size can portray distance. Also, try to line up the two segments of the rainbow. As they are now the colors don't match up, adding to the disjointed feeling it has.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                  Working...
                  X