Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• B
    Reply to How was this typed?
    B
    I'm quite certain that this was either typed out on a dirty, old ribbon typewriter or that someone went to a considerable amount of work to imitate the look. A digital font would have produced strictly...
    Today, 06:46 PM
  • B
    Reply to Greeting GDF
    B
    Megatlantis, most of the participants in the Graphic Design Forum work in 2D. There are a few here who use various 3D and motion software applications, but the majority of us live our lives in a flat,...
    Today, 06:25 PM
  • skribe
    skribe
    There are a bunch of typewriter fonts you could use to do this, but with most you would have add in some extra grunge on certain letters to get the diversity of that sample. You could use this one h...
    Today, 06:05 PM
  • B
    Reply to Thinking outside the box
    B
    A common theme among designers is frustration.

By nature, I think that most of us are freethinkers and that we ended up in this field for that very reason. Design schools foster this creativity...
    Today, 05:49 PM
  • PanToshi
    PanToshi
    I'm leaning toward crappy old typewriter, versus font to mimic one, myself.
    Today, 05:26 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logo: Please give me comments....

I've been asked to re-design a logo for a small non-profit org (3 people) who helps support health-related initiatives in our small community.

The leaf is a Hawaiian leaf used in healing medicine. The phrase "na kuahiwi elima" is known by native Hawaiians as identifying this specific area of Hawaii...it literally means "these five mountains that surround us." The "five diamonds" are acutally a part of a tapa printing pattern. The only part of the old logo I think they need to keep are the leaf and the phrase.

old.logo.1.jpg: Their original logo from about 6 years ago.

old.logo.2.jog: This one is about three years ago. HATE the font. Don't particularly like the leaf being in the background.

new.logo.1, 2 and 3: Please give me your feedback on these. Logo development is not my fav cup of tea.

Thanks so much!!
    Last edited by Ms.O; 06-14-2005, 11:25 PM.
    While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

i like #1, because it's taking an element that they've already got (i hope they're not sick of the leaves and want to expand on them!). it's a gentle change. i think that the text needs work though. it's lost under the leave and not as refined as i'd like.

i would have gone for a 'five mountain' feel like in number #3, too. I don't think that your mountain illustration is anywhere near ready, though. right now, it's kind of ambiguous. i think you need to really let go and play more. maybe even get off the computer. play with pencils or paint or an etch-a-sketch or something. turn all of the mountains on their heads, then photocopy them, then scrunch up the photocopy, then cut the mountains out, then YOU go on your head and see what new mountain ideas you can see.

okay, maybe not THAT far. but maybe farther. you get my point, right? just keep working away. you'll get your 'eureka' moment.

oh, and get one for the gipper, while you're at it.

i hope that helped!

Comment

Thanks!

The #3 design is supposed to no only symbolize the five mountians, but an island, as seen from the water. I have to be really careful, because there is another prominent org in my area that uses "five mountians art" as part of their logo too.....I've tried to stay away from it looking at all like the other logo.

As far as the text....what do you mean by "not as refined as you'ld like?" Can you expand on that?
      While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. --Mark Twain

Comment

Wow! I don't know why but I was drawn to #3.

Funny you mentioned it looks like 5 mountains AND like an isle from the water, because the initial reaction i got out of it was...yep..A LEAF. That's neat because it can be something different to different people. I really like it. It's quite good.

Add some veins to it, maybe. I would take the script out and put it with the main text, because the main text feels kind of like it's just floating out there (because it's straight and it's closest object is a curve).

That's what I've got.
        Well done, again.

EDIT: I guess everything I said was contrary to what UNC said (I just read his post), and his suggestions are really good.
        Last edited by Image; 06-09-2005, 03:24 AM.
        Fondly.

Learn more about me here!

Comment

i like the leaf from #2 but i'd like to see the text next to, not under it so that the leaf is not so powerful & i also thik the text needs work so it's no so typed in. good luck & let us see the progression & the finished project.
          Steeler Born, Steeler Bred And When I Die I'll be Steeler Dead!

Comment

the text doesn't interact or compliment the image at all. except in #3, but i can't even read that!

there needs to be a balance between the text and the imagery. in fact, the text in the original logo is more appealing to me. i'm not saying just do that, but there definately needs more thought, imho. :thumbsup:

Comment

Okay....I need help with the text which isn't my strong suite.....

I also forgot to mention....about the only place they will use this logo is on their stationary, brochure....or sometimes in a newspaper ad.

Here's an example of how I'd use #3 on their letterhead:
              Last edited by Ms.O; 06-14-2005, 11:26 PM.

Comment

How about either of these? Do I need a different font?

Comment

I like 3 as well.. would go well on business stationaries.
                  Chris
                  Fuelded by Imagination

Comment

Is there a difference between 4 and 5!?!

I too like #3, but can't read the script either. Might be worth trying some variations of this one? I'm glad Unc pointed out the mountains though, i didn't even see them!?! I thought it was a leaf seen from a funny angle!?!

Comment

Ms. O - I wouldn't go with a larger font size on the first letters unless the group has been or plans on being referred to FMH. I like #4 however the veins on the leaf are a little distracting. Might just be personal feeling but other than that, I'd say good work!
                      Official lunchboxbrain blog

Comment

i like the new 5 but i'm not crazy about the spacing on the text it seems to far apart
                        Steeler Born, Steeler Bred And When I Die I'll be Steeler Dead!

Comment

I was going to say the same thing ^ you need to tighten the tracking on the text. I would also use number 5, the one with larger first letters.

Comment

Originally posted by beano
                            Is there a difference between 4 and 5!?!

I too like #3, but can't read the script either. Might be worth trying some variations of this one? I'm glad Unc pointed out the mountains though, i didn't even see them!?! I thought it was a leaf seen from a funny angle!?!
                            The difference is the larger first letter. And yes, the tracking is a bit off....

In real size, you can read the script at the base of the mountains, but I will play with a different font, etc. Also that phrase "na kuahiwi elima" is echoed at the bottom of the stationary, larger and screened back. I don't want to remove it from the base of the mtns. because it also looks sort of like swaying palm trees.....

As far as the mountains go, I don't want the to look too realistic and I have to be careful that they don't look anything like the other organization in town that uses "five mountiains" art in their logo....

Thanks everyone....I'll keep thinking....

Comment

New Thought

Okay...I've been playing around with this....

Let me know your thoughts on this one.....ALSO...help with the text/font is needed...I'm no good at that....

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X