Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some critique on some self promo postcards....

Hi there, I just found this forum about a week ago, and I finally just registered.

A little info about me, I am a freelance Graphic Designer, and have been running my own business for 2 yrs now, I have been in the design business for 7 or so years. Anyway, working for myself, I rarely get other designers opinions about my work, only naive clients.

Here is a postcard I am doing for some self promotion.

Lets hear it... I also have yet to double check for any errors, so feel free to comment. I tend to have a silly sense of humor.

The copy on front reads...

Knock knock
    Who’s there?
    Banana.
    Banana who?
    Knock knock
    Who’s there?
    Banana.
    Banana who?
    Knock knock
    Who’s there?
    Orange.
    Orange who?
    Orange you glad I didn’t say banana ?

The copy on back reads...

We are bombarded by advertising messages every single day, usually to the point of annoyance.

At Bolder Design Studio, we try to do things a bit differently, to help our clients stand out in the crowd.

If your business needs a little creative boost, give Bolder Design Studio a call, we would be happy to set up a one-on-one consultation to help you get the best out of your promotional materials.

Now Orange you glad I didn’t say Banana?
    Attached Files
    all other forms of advertising that fall out of that realm, missed the short bus to design school. - d-frag

i like the overall design, but is that arial you're using for your copy? doesn't really fit with the feel of the rest of the piece....!

that jokes really, really bad too....

Comment

I am kind of struggling with a type face for the body copy. Any suggestions?

And I realize the Joke is Very very bad. BUt I do believe that it will grab some attention. I'm a designer, not a comedian.
      all other forms of advertising that fall out of that realm, missed the short bus to design school. - d-frag

Comment

I see you're from Lafayette... me too I like the idea overall, and I do think the joke idea is cute. But I agree about the Arial. I think you need to play with that a little more. It doesn't necessarily have to be justified... Try making it a little more fun. Maybe make certain words bigger than the others or try different colors. It just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the design right now.
        ~Cassi

CassiLowe.com

Comment

Originally posted by chalsema
          I see you're from Lafayette... me too I like the idea overall, and I do think the joke idea is cute. But I agree about the Arial. I think you need to play with that a little more. It doesn't necessarily have to be justified... Try making it a little more fun. Maybe make certain words bigger than the others or try different colors. It just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the design right now.

Whoa small world. Do I know you? do you lstill live in Lafayette? Are you also freelancing, or do you work somewhere. I recognize your screen name as a last name.

Comment

Yeah, only the Halsema part is my last name, but there are tons and tons of Halsema's in Lafayette. I do still live here, and I go to Purdue. I have an internship at Agricultural Communications where I do graphic design work for 4-H.
            ~Cassi

CassiLowe.com

Comment

I graduated from Purdue, Years ago. How is the department doing these days? I haven't been over there in years to talk with any professors, mainly because almost all of the professors I had are long gone. I think only 2 remain from when I was a senior.

Comment

Isn't this sweet, you found a friend

Comment

The department seems to be doing well. We have a new building with lots of cool stuff now, like new computers and big printers. (Thankfully I only had to spend one year in the little shanties.) One of the professors is also setting up an "in-house studio" where people from other parts of the university can come have things designed by students. Not all of the students are a part of it, just the ones who try out and get chosen, but it seems like a pretty cool thing. I'm sure one of the profs. you had that is still around is Dennis Ichiyama (probably still teaching the exact same lesson plan too lol).
                  ~Cassi

CassiLowe.com

Comment

Ok here is one with some "playful" type. I think I will keep the body copy on the back similar, as I want that to be read as information. (with tweaks of course)

Feedback? Is it too much? I hate designing stuff for myself.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Definite improvement
                      ~Cassi

CassiLowe.com

Comment

Originally posted by chalsema
                        The department seems to be doing well. We have a new building with lots of cool stuff now, like new computers and big printers. (Thankfully I only had to spend one year in the little shanties.) One of the professors is also setting up an "in-house studio" where people from other parts of the university can come have things designed by students. Not all of the students are a part of it, just the ones who try out and get chosen, but it seems like a pretty cool thing. I'm sure one of the profs. you had that is still around is Dennis Ichiyama (probably still teaching the exact same lesson plan too lol).
                        Yep, had Dennis, and I am sure he is teaching the same things. I have not been to the new building yet. Mainly because Profs started soliciting funds from seniors before we graduated to get the building started. I mean come on, I haven't even paid for all of MY education, now you want me to donate money for a building I will never use?

A student studio, sounds like a good idea, but also kind of like slave labor. Will there be credits, will it count as an internship, will the students working there get paid? SOunds like some good experience though.

Comment

Originally posted by INDY GS
                          A student studio, sounds like a good idea, but also kind of like slave labor. Will there be credits, will it count as an internship, will the students working there get paid? SOunds like some good experience though.
                          Yeah, it's a class you get 3 credits for. But some of my friends tell me they do about 6 credits worth of work....
                          ~Cassi

CassiLowe.com

Comment

much better!! let's see the back.

Comment

Hi I'm also new here !

I like the overall design, colors and style is cool and catches the eye.

I feel like the front message (the joke) doesn't have enough visual importance. Perhaps it could take more space, or just have an element bigger than the others to initate the reading of the joke... Like maybe the first knock knock... really big to make sure it's the first thing you spot on the layout. Or maybe it's the upper element that's taking too much importance, since it should be more subtle being a decoration...

I personally see the banana image first, then Bolder design in the lower right corner, then, looking more closely, I see the message.

Oh, and... doesn't banana spell with one n ?

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X