Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• sybli
    Comment on How well do you see color? (fun & games)
    sybli
    The highest I managed was 35. But I think the levels are generated by the program and there will be a new level as long as there is still time left on the clock, no matter how fast you are.
    Today, 09:20 AM
  • sybli
    Comment on How well do you see color? (fun & games)
    sybli
    I have noticed the same thing with me, only with dark green. I'm averaging 25 but I made it to 35 only once and that was a lucky streak without any dark greens whatsoever.
    Today, 09:18 AM
  • fynch
    Reply to Help with logo "fynch"
    fynch
    Hi guys thanks for all the input,

@Kitchwitch thank you for the welcome Ill go over and check out the rules now, glad to know I wasn't having computer errors in posting this.
    Today, 04:44 AM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to From Architect House Plan to Realistic 3D model
    Kayekaye
    Well there are all kinds of 3d architectural software. But how can you download them, learn them, and draw this in 24 hours. Not very realistic. He should be able to do a 3d from his plans on CAD like...
    Today, 04:32 AM
  • Kayekaye
    Comment on InDesign Style Sheets--Numbered bullets
    Kayekaye
    Yes this was killing me recently, all of them being numbered as 1. Did your fix work?
    Today, 04:06 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billboard

Threw this together in about 20 minutes, im happy with it. We will see what the client has to say.....

comments, crits...welcomed and appreciated

‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Arizona,YEAH! I like the billboard! no crits.
    Me Blog, ya scurvy dog----> http://dreamindex.blogspot.com
    click the monkey... you know you want to... <updated 11/26!!

Comment

Squeeze the kerning just a little bit between "of" and "bel". Optically it's a little off.

Other than that, not too bad for a bilboard. Did they supply the photo? Wht kind of quality/resolution was it, what did you do to make it that size, and how much distortion will it have hwen it goes to print?
      Fondly.

Learn more about me here!

Comment

Nice, I like the speed blurs on the sides

Comment

Originally posted by Image
          Squeeze the kerning just a little bit between "of" and "bel". Optically it's a little off.

Other than that, not too bad for a bilboard. Did they supply the photo? Wht kind of quality/resolution was it, what did you do to make it that size, and how much distortion will it have hwen it goes to print?

yeah the kernining between "Of" and "Bel" is waaay off, just noticed that when I posted it, hehe. also the space around the BMW is not symetrical, so I might adjust that as well.

They supplied the photo, it was pretty low res, i believe it was at 120dpi. To make it that size, I took the dimensions of the billboard, which was something like 48 feet by 114 feet or something like that at 50dpi. I scaled it down to 1/4 scale and made my dpi 12.5 which would equal 50dpi when blown up full size, oh yeah, and I added 3" of bleed on both sides. No distortion when it goes to print, thats the actual dimensions of it.

thx for the comments, ill have to adjust that stuff on tuesday when i go to work : )
          ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

I like it. I want a BMW.
            ProudPenguin
            P r o d u c t i o n s

Comment

nice job, D-Frag! Thanks for sharing the process, too!
              "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

What!

It's not very sympathetic with BMW's elegance an luxury. To me it cheapens them...hmm.

Everyone's a critic tho

Comment

i would say to spread the kerning on grand opening, even though a billboard is huge you are driving by at 65mph & it has to be extremely easy to read. you could make the logo a little smaller since it says bmw of... & it has an acutual bmw.
                  just my .02
                  Steeler Born, Steeler Bred And When I Die I'll be Steeler Dead!

Comment

Originally posted by abeautifulview
                    What!

It's not very sympathetic with BMW's elegance an luxury. To me it cheapens them...hmm.

Everyone's a critic tho
                    What exactly are you yapping about here? Firstly, you don't know anything about this project. Secondly...who are you again?

Go ahead, bitch about the font...its custom, BMW made it, they use it in all their stuff.....what...you don't like the photo? Hmmm, again customer supplied.

but watever, I tend to cheapen all my stuff

Comment

Hi D-Frag, I think he means that BMW use strong negative space and no filters around text such as glow and they keep their ID very subtle and kinda like a monotone style and don't really use bright colours to attract attention. They just seem to use the 'sexy image' that the car has and let the text compliment it rather than lead.

www.bmw.com

I think I would let go of the red text, keep it all white out or maybe just black and using lowercase as well, just to make it less blocky, and to let the image scream rather than the text and logo as this seems quite large in proportion to the rest too.

It is a lovely image, and it would be nice to let it speak for itself, as I feel it deffo has enough pull for the poster.

Hope this helps?
                      Only dead fish follow the current...

Comment

I love it D-Frag.
                        Definately a great start, expecially if THAT only took you 20minutes.

Lovin' It!

Comment

Great job D-Frag! You kept to the rules - easy to read and simple. How much can you actually read at 60mph? Not much so you nailed that. I'm with Kool in that I love the movement the billboard shows also.
                          I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

I agree with Mitch wood. If I were you, I would try reworking slight aspects of it to make the text integrate better with the picture. Also, often we forget that billboards should be visible at night as well. Under low light conditions, the text on this billboard would be hard to read.

My suggestions would be to use the image on the right side--use a transition fade color about half way through and extend it to the left edge---this will give your text a clear, more visible base that is devoid of any background clutter.
                            www.greenthumbcreative.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Wood
                              Hi D-Frag, I think he means that BMW use strong negative space and no filters around text such as glow and they keep their ID very subtle and kinda like a monotone style and don't really use bright colours to attract attention. They just seem to use the 'sexy image' that the car has and let the text compliment it rather than lead.

www.bmw.com

I think I would let go of the red text, keep it all white out or maybe just black and using lowercase as well, just to make it less blocky, and to let the image scream rather than the text and logo as this seems quite large in proportion to the rest too.

It is a lovely image, and it would be nice to let it speak for itself, as I feel it deffo has enough pull for the poster.

Hope this helps?

Now that's constructive criticism! Ive tried different color variations on the text, and NOTHING would read well on the background. The art director basically said "But a white stroke on it, and a dropshadow" so I obeyed. As for the lowercase type, I can't make it lower case because BMW uses a custom made font which unfortunetly is all caps, so no go on that. And I totally see where your coming from with the negative space in reference to how large the type is. This is still the first draft, im sure it will change, so thanks for the crits.

Oh and Green, I have no idea what your talking about, if you could clarify, that would be mucho appreciated!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X