Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    <b>
    This is a puzzling discussion because the things described run counter to my experiences.

I've been buying Macs since 1984, and have probably owned, maybe, a couple dozen of them. Also during...
    Today, 09:23 PM
  • iyiyi
    iyiyi
    They are what I used before my mpb. They always had issues. The graphics cards would get screwed up and the screens would freeze (like my mpb is now doing), they were for some reason slower than other...
    Today, 08:53 PM
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo
    What did you hate about them?
    Today, 08:50 PM
  • iyiyi
    iyiyi
    Other than Cosmo, have any of you had "bricking" issues with mac minis? I have done a lot of research and he is the first person to bring up that issue. And fwiw, I was planning on getting a...
    Today, 08:38 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Comment on 48" Single sided retractable banner stand with 2 poles?
    KitchWitch
    Hi SamEvs and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links below. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 08:25 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• test

http://www.dijital-underground.com/pics/Red logo with black shadow on polk a dots.jpg

http://www.dijital-underground.com/pics/logo for costa vasca.jpg

This is my first attempt on friend's menu. I do little odd's and ends here. My background is mostly marketing. I also attached the logo I am still in the process of doing for them. I personaly hate the solid color of the side bar for the front menu cover but, thats how they want it.

Let me know what you guys think. I am open to ideas n stuff, as I only started using photochop like 5 months ago.

sorry about the two links, I am the sux0rs at re-sizing.

Comment

3 things:

1) The menu is nice and clean. Works great. No prices?
      2) We're going to have to teach you what a logo is.
      3) You said, "sux0rz". Around here, that's liable to get you killed. Use haxX0r vernacular once, it's funny; all the time, we will eat your brains like Swedish meatballs.

Comment

The menu works well as is.

However, has the ptential to be great with the correct design and application knowledge. Since, you just started then it is a good design for your start, but could definatly be pushed farther.

One thing though: the heading type is a bit hard to read. The most important thing on the menue is the type. You must remember the design is suppose to emhasis the type without overwhelming it. The simple deisng works very well to do this but, the type is a bit hard to read.

I like the design behind the logo

However, the technical application needs some work and understanding. From the looks of your logo it seems like it was done in photoshop- correct?

This would be all fine and dandy if the menue was used for the web. However, the menue is a print application- correct?

The logo needs to be made to print and versatile. Menaing it needs to be created in a vector based program and in cmyk or spot colors. Nice idea though. Really gives me a "resturantee",lol type feel.
        Last edited by tZ; 06-15-2005, 06:38 AM.

Comment

the menu is looking far better than the logo. generally, i would steer away from over-using dropshadows and gradients in logos (or any other designs for that matter) - a cleaner vector logo usually works better. if you look at the majority of the world's most famous and memorable logos (for example nike, IBM etc...) they are generally very simple in design - their simplicity makes them instantly recognisable.
          work play shoot flabfight

Comment

Prices - I am waiting for them to confirm prices tonight. I havent figuired out if I will put the price to the left or the right of the menu item.

At first I was gonna do spanish in black and english in grey but, then I thought I would use red since they really like red. Today I will play with the "logo" thingy and try it on an all red back ground.

As for page two on the inside of the menu I went with the same scheme but a black polk a dot on the upper right hand corner. Both were the exact same size. I will host it later tonight if I can.

I have never used illustrator ( it hink thats what people use to do vector images) I will have to start playing with it. This menu will be printed as well as placed on the web.

I guess the logo needs to be vectorized (if thats the correct usage of the word), because they wanna give it to a sign manufacturer and make new street signs (the ones that light up) for the restaurant.

These will be printed on 8.5 by 11 and I think I have enough space to make the font sizr on the titles a little bit bigger, thus more legible.

By the way, thank u all so much for your input. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by tZ
              The menu works well as is.

However, the technical application needs some work and understanding. From the looks of your logo it seems like it was done in photoshop- correct?

This would be all fine and dandy if the menue was used for the web. However, the menue is a print application- correct?

The logo needs to be made to print and versatile. Menaing it needs to be created in a vector based program and in cmyk or spot colors. Nice idea though. Really gives me a "resturantee",lol type feel.
              Yes photoshop cs

Yep for print and web

Vector based program....does that mean I have to do it all over again?

Thank u in advance.

Bye,

Crystal

Comment

The menu isn't bad, a little bland though but it does work. The logo is what needs the most help. Using drop shadows/bevels/gradients is a big neon sign that says, "amateur". It's kind of an excuse to try make something look more interesting because the design by itself is very week. Also using all these effects doesn't make it versatile for different printing mediums & grayscale. Also the logo doesn't really say Mexican restaurant to me. There really is nothing there besides a font inside an oval. Look at some other mexican restaurant logos to see what others have done. Think about what is associated with mexican food or mexico, cactuses, torillas, tacos, peppers, sombreros etc, you get the idea. Maybe incoporate a simple graphic with the logo or use mexican colors or mexican style font or whatever. Come up with a few different ideas. I hope I'm not offending you I am really trying to help here, I know you're just starting off this is good advice here. I am by no means a logo expert, I'm just a caveman, unfrozen by scientists that went on to become a graphic designer. Jeff Fisher is however a logo master http://www.jfisherlogomotives.com/ Also stay away from swooshes http://www.50cups.com/swoosh/index.asp. Looking foward to seeing your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by keith1
                  The menu isn't bad, a little bland though but it does work. The logo is what needs the most help. Using drop shadows/bevels/gradients is a big neon sign that says, "amateur". It's kind of an excuse to try make something look more interesting because the design by itself is very week. Also using all these effects doesn't make it versatile for different printing mediums & grayscale. Also the logo doesn't really say Mexican restaurant to me. There really is nothing there besides a font inside an oval. Look at some other mexican restaurant logos to see what others have done. Think about what is associated with mexican food or mexico, cactuses, torillas, tacos, peppers, sombreros etc, you get the idea. Maybe incoporate a simple graphic with the logo or use mexican colors or mexican style font or whatever. Come up with a few different ideas. I hope I'm not offending you I am really trying to help here, I know you're just starting off this is good advice here. I am by no means a logo expert, I'm just a caveman, unfrozen by scientists that went on to become a graphic designer. Jeff Fisher is however a logo master http://www.jfisherlogomotives.com/ Also stay away from swooshes http://www.50cups.com/swoosh/index.asp. Looking foward to seeing your progress.
                  Thanks dude, I plan to work on the logo when i get and home. but the restaurant is Spanish. It has live flamenco shows. Flamenco is the traditional dance of Spain. The flamenco dancer dresses are typically full of polk-a-dots. Thus, the bar running down the right side full of white dots.

I am gonna change the coloring of the oval behind the restaurant name. In another file of the round part itself, I have the address & telephone number running along the bottom of the circle's curve.

The page you see with the bar running down is supposed to be the menu cover that the owner wants to have printed.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                  Working...
                  X