X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portfolio layout

Hi guys I am in a bit of a quandry about laying out my portfolio, as you may have noticed from Jays thread.

I like the idea of using perspective to veiw the pieces as it kinda gels the whole portfolio together while keeping a contemporary look, especially when it bleeds and therefore crops.

I am a little dubious about paying a photographer to shoot the pieces at the moment as my cash situation is very poor indeed (I would do it myself but lack lighting to get the shots right).

Would it be frowned upon when presenting if I used digital recreations (to make it seem like a photograph) in my folio manipulated in Illy or PS to a high standard.

This isn't a crit on the work, just badly need input on if it on the presentation.

Text, resolution, lighting and perspective aren't final in any way shape or form, as it will be ammended.

Many thanks in advance for anyone that can help me.
    Attached Files
    Only dead fish follow the current...

p.s. The footer is directed as a link with my cv and cover letter if I use it as a sample pack.

Not sure about a description in the folio itself. What do you reckon?

Comment

I like the idea of having a perspective too. I realized this especially when I started to scan some mag articles I did and I saw the page curving in towards the spine. It didn't look good at all. So I decided to take pics myself however my lightening wasn't the best but I know there are tutorials on the internet to help you with lightening issues cheaply.

Comment

I'm a little bit confused about your portfolio... is this online? Anyways, I think the perspective is creative, but I have a feeling that most employers viewing your portfolio will want to see your work in the cleanest, simplest form possible. Maybe skewing and cropping aren't the best things to do to your work?

Like I said I think I'm a little confused about the format of your portfolio and what your purpose is, so I may be wrong...
        ~Cassi

CassiLowe.com

Comment

Hi Keith, I will have a search. Whenever I've taken shots like this out of studio lighting I always seem to get it sooooo badly wrong. Might learn a thing or two.

Chelsema, it will not be online but soley in a presentation portfolio to take too interviews. I too was a little worried about too much cropping, but how important is it too see all the work? I just felt the union of it as collection kinda outweighed this, still not too sure.

Also it will be in an A3 folio and I wanted breathing space around the spreads so thought this would be a good way to show it rather than scaling it right down.

I am just not too sure.

p.s. Please don't take this post as defence, more comments are extremely appreciated.

Thanks guys, have deffo taken in the input so far!

Comment

Any comments welcome...

Even if you pinned it on a dartboard and got a treble twenty three times, I'd like to hear...

...pretty please.

Comment

that looks really cool, however i think that would be best used on your online folio site. for a printed version, every folio i've ever seen (including mine), has been very simple - ie just the piece/spread/whatever sitting inside the wallet pouch... in an interview, the employer is going to want to examine reasonably closely, in my experience, and in that picture above you can only get a general feel...

however, nothing wrong with being different i guess!

Comment

That is what I am starting to think now zubaier.

Anyone else?

p.s. If darts isn't your thing, don't print it out and use it instead of andrex, it really does chaffe, plus if you use an inkjet you might end up with a half finished annual report on your butt.
                Last edited by Mitch Wood; 06-16-2005, 09:50 AM. Reason: A very poor attempt to inject some humour into my post!

Comment

yup yup, only use this style on an online folio site. employers want to see your work just as the way it was printed. It's OK, to ad something to the bottom of the page with a small description of the piece if you have time, but most of the time you will be right there with them, going through it and explaining it to them.

even in online, I lean towards just the straightforward piece w/ no perspective, unless you can get a professional photograph that still clearly displays the design.

Comment

Personally I'd feel odd designing my portfolio like that. Generally it's expected that you put the "real thing" in there if at all possible, not a reproduction.

That being said, something like above could be used in a leave-behind. It looks more like it belongs in a brochure, pocket folder or part of a web site. I see no problem with beauty shots of work in for something like that. Just as long as the meat of the work is clearly visible (example above seems fine).

Your composition above looks nice, but I'd question a giant grey box on the bottom of every page, as it can easily become the focus and not the work.
                    Shhhh I can't see!

Comment

Yo Mitch...not really sure I am the right person to comment as to whether this is a good or bad idea or not. (However if you were successful in using PS to fake the lighting and perspective then explaining this to any potential clients or employers surely would do you no harm.)

What I would suggest however is that when using the perspective command. remember to Non Uniform scale the subject when applying perspective. My reasoning here is that without a NU scale, optically you will be making the object longer, try to ensure that objects on the same plane have the same vanishing points too.

(I am the sort of person who keeps a beady eye out for things like these...if you add lighting be sure to be consistant and make sure that lighting or shadows that already exist do not betray the extra lighting that you add)

*edit* The problem with applying perspective also, is that what you see as perspective is merely the result of pixels being moved in such a way that the subject appears to tend towards a vanishing point...the optical scaling you would expect with distance however, is in my opinion...a bit crap

If this is a problem, you can use a neutral to slightly darker grey gradient d.map to scale dodgy pixels manually (again...do this before perspective)
                      Last edited by Ghastly; 06-19-2005, 02:58 PM.
                      My head hurts
                      ....................( I )
                      ...................Ω

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X