Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic Drawing Tablet

Hello,

I'm curious about the graphic drawing tablets. I'm primarily self-taught and all along I've used the ordinary mouse. The effects in many cases are disasters as expected.

But in many youtube videos I see designers using the Graphic Drawing Tablets. Most of these videos are like the user os drawing on a the blank tablet and seeing the result on their monitors. I personally would miss seeing my hand on the canvas. There are very few videos where one can draw and see the effects in the same place. Something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVxsseJMT4s

I was just wondering if there's any such affordable tablet for a novice like me that would allow me to see my hand as I draw on the tablet, i.e., I'd prefer if the tablet behaves like an actual drawing board and a monitor. I've checked a lot and found that although cintiqs are the best and fits me, but its one heck of a pricy thing. Is there any other alternative that would be good for me?

And another question... Do novices like me get any freelance graphic design jobs?

Regards.

Graphic design and illustration are two different careers with different skill sets. While there are people who do both, it is not at all common. You should consider if you want to be a graphic designer or if you want to be an illustrator or if you really want to do both.

As for graphic tablets, it's just a tool. It's not going to make you a better illustrator. So, before you invest any money into this, can you draw? I mean in real life with pencil and paper?

If you can and want to go ahead, I would recommend a Wacom tablet. It's not like drawing on a screen, but it's much better than drawing with a mouse. You will get used to not drawing right on the canvas, I don't find it a big deal at all.

You can pick up a small drawing tablet like the Wacom Bamboo for a couple of hundred $$ new. It's a great entry level/beginner product and I never upgraded from it because I find it does what I need it to do. If you find you want to advance, then move up to the Wacom Intuos.

I'm sure there are Youtube videos out there on art done on Wacom tablets too.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I bought a bamboo last year -- I'm not usually using it, but when you need to isolate something with the burn/dodge tool, I can't believe I ever used a mouse for it!

Comment

I use one regularly. I bought a Wacom Bamboo Create last year, to replace the old one I had. The key to it...put away your old mice, period!!! You will not learn to use it by only using it for some stuff or when you think of it.
        "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

• kemingMatters
          kemingMatters commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 when I got my tablet, it seems like a lifetime ago, I threw the mouse in a drawer and have never looked back. A mouse actually feels awkward to me now. Also with a tablet, you'll find navigating a 27" monitor is way more efficient than it is with a mouse.

If you need to see your hand on the surface and you have a grand or two to spend, maybe you should try a Pressure Sensitive LCD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet/screen_hybrid

But only if you want to be a serious fine art illustrator. For the average graphic designer, it's not needed.

Comment

I own a bamboo tablet before but I learned that I can't seem to draw something without seeing it right as I draw it. I believe they make tablets out there like a touchscreen? But the prices are really expensive. Any links or names to those that I describe?

Comment

• kemingMatters
            kemingMatters commented
            Editing a comment
            Wacom Cintiq - You're looking at a 1K and up

• ShaunaLynn
            ShaunaLynn commented
            Editing a comment
            You're thinking of the Wacom Cintiq. There's also the Yiynova which is a less expensive (but still expensive) version of the Cintiq.

Like everyone else has said, a Wacom tablet is not going to instantly make you a better designer if you don't have the basic skills already there.

I'm a graphic designer turned illustrator. I've used a tablet for years because it allows me to have more control than I would with a mouse, and a lot of my design projects in school involved illustration. When I was working in house at a fashion corp and had to isolate models from backgrounds and clothes from backgrounds, the tablet allowed me a lot more control and freedom to work. While my coworkers had the ability to do what I did with a mouse, it took me about 5 times longer to do what I can do with my tablet with a mouse. When my boss saw that, she agreed to let me buy one through the company so I didn't have to tote my personal one back and forth.

A lot of people are also really intrigued by them and how they work. My non-design coworkers at that old job called it my "magic drawing square" because they couldn't comprehend that it was still technically a mouse.

Now I've transitioned into fulltime freelance illustration and I primarily do hand lettering. I also illustrate in Photoshop, because that's what works for me and my clients love the outcome. I use a tablet for 95% of my work, but I don't start drawing, usually (there are exceptions to the rule) until I have a solid drawing on paper, and then it's just tracing in Photoshop at that point.
          Shauna Lynn - Hand letterer, illustrator, designer
          www.shaunaparmesan.com

Comment

My tablet: Wacom Intuos 4 (Model: PTK-640)

It's a pretty good tablet, although I cannot compare it to others as it is my first one, I want to buy a bigger sized one though, but the prices are insane. ):

Comment

There are things like:http://adonit.net/ (buddy has the touch I think). He likes it. Found a little snippet searching (http://tabtimes.com/review/ittech-ac...ndroid-tablets). But that might get you started (trouble is your looking at mobile style drawing programs, the bluetooth is nice though).

As a user of a Wacom, you really get used to the tablet away from your eyes (I have an ignored Cintiq now, but if you have strong glasses the parallax sort of annoys you)

Comment

As a good alternative, probably less expensive too (especially if you already own one) is a tablet like the Samsung Note Pro series that use the stylus. There are some pretty good sketching programs out there like the one from AutoDesk Inc. allowing you to sketch on the tablet screen and see what you are sketching as you do it... and then you can save it to Google Drive and Import on your computer to Photoshop or Illustrator etc. Best part is, you can sketch whilst away from your actual computer... on the bus, trail, while flying, at the park etc. And then import it later on. I actually use my iPad in this manner... also check out the Wacom Creative Stylus made for iPad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrazieo6Dak

Comment

Originally posted by darkwolf29a View Post
                  I use one regularly. I bought a Wacom Bamboo Create last year, to replace the old one I had. The key to it...put away your old mice, period!!! You will not learn to use it by only using it for some stuff or when you think of it.
                  This is really good advice.

I just bought one of the new small Intuos $100 tablets, I use it for everything I would use my trackpad or mouse for. Not just for drawing in illustrator, but also for working in all of the Adobe products, in Google Chrome, even in Civilization. It's got a touchpad on it, so it's a combination large trackpad and stylus surface.

Comment

One of the old Bamboos or a used Intuos would be ideal. If you have a tablet like an ipad you could also try getting used to it with a stylus. I found a decent review of the intuos creative. That seems to work pretty well to replicate using a wacom.

Comment

Hi Orandze and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X