Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Sketch for Graphic Design?

Hi,
    I am struggling in forming my graphic design portfolio. I have no computer program, due to expense and lack of knowledge pertaining to it, so what are my options as far as creating a graphic design portfolio and practicing graphic design by just traditional means?

-thank you
    paint slinger

Why did you want or need a portfolio?

People need design portfolios for various reasons. My first design portfolio was required as part of my application to a design course. Only about half the work in it was computer related, the rest were designs by hand (pen and ink), photographs and sketches.

A portfolio is assembled after you have done a body of work.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Buda-

Do graphic design students all have such a diversified portfolio either in the beginning or at the end of their education?

Comment

I think that depends on your education and what was focused on. You put your best dozen or so pieces in your portfolio, whatever medium or discipline they may be. My very first portfolio was twenty pieces of fine art work. My second included design projects, but no computer work. Hand done and drawn comps and paste-ups. Now my book would include almost all computer developed work.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Paint Slinger, what is your intent? There are no longer any "traditional" or hand methods of graphic design. While some is hand illustration based, very little now is soup-to-nuts hand work.

If your intent is to get a job (ie you have the education but not the equipment), you should at least have student work. If you have no computer skills and no education, in most locations you aren't going to get a job slot, and you can't do freelance work.

If you are skilled at hand art, are good at it, and can do it quickly, you could possibly find work in certain types of signage, but not sure it would pay the bills.

Comment

Originally posted by Paint Slinger View Post
            I have no computer program, due to expense and lack of knowledge pertaining to it, so what are my options as far as creating a graphic design portfolio and practicing graphic design by just traditional means?
            The chances of becoming a graphic designer without graphic design software expertise are close to zero. As PrintDriver suggested, there are related areas where you might find work, but not as a graphic designer. Doing so would be similar to looking for work as a carpenter but being unable to use power tools.

I know of a few, still-practicing, big-name graphic designers who are in their 60s and 70s and who don't use computers -- Massimo Vignelli, comes to mind. But these people own their own agencies and hire the talent that does have the computer skills.

Comment

My first year of design school, everything had to be done by marker and gouache paints. I couldn't put any of that into a portfolio, but it was a great foundation.

Comment

You can use the open source community softwares to learn the basics of glaphic design, like inkscape, gimp and scribus, and when you earn some money you can move to adobe creative suite

Comment

• PanToshi
                  PanToshi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The OP is asking about 'traditional' (non-computer) illustration tools and techniques. The OP also states they have no computer access.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X