Hand Drawn Logotypes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Drawn Logotypes

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all. I've been browsing the forum for a while and it really seems like a nice community to be part of.

I find myself captivated with hand drawn logotypes. I spend hours upon hours browsing the internet for great hand drawn type and logos. About a year ago I purchased some calligraphy pens, brush pens, pencils, as well as some really good books for inspiration. I try to recreate things that I find online for practice. I really just want to get really good at this style of design but I feel like I'm lacking the fundamentals to progress. So, does anyone have any advice on how/what to practice to get a better grasp on the fundamentals of hand drawn logotypes?

I'm thinking of logotypes like the work of Mateusz Wiczak. He is one of many artists whose work I enjoy.

Thanks for any tips.

Welcome to GDF handtype

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't post multiple times if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Just keep practicing. Don't worry if your recreations aren't perfect, you don't want them to be exact; use them for inspiration. It is important to create your own style and by practicing you will soon find your strengths and weaknesses. You will eventually be able to find and perfect your own style.

http://www.reynolds-creative.com

Comment

Thanks ReynoldsCreative. Practice I will indeed. I'm thinking of buying some tracing paper and tracing tons of logotypes.

Comment

Here's one you might enjoy ... http://siscottstudio.com/

Comment

Thanks ISitude. That is some really creative and varied typography work.

Comment

Consider buying this little spiral-bound book: http://bit.ly/1kgWKwM. It's very rare, out of print, and I don't know where you can find another copy.

I worked just a little with the author, Maurice Scanlon, some 30 years ago when I was interning at a design studio as a student. He was likely in his 80s at the time. The studio owners, who were in awe of the guy, would hire him for lettering projects. As a 20-year-old, I was dismissive of such an old, feeble guy knowing anything at all. I soon found out how naive I was. He was a genius with pens, ink, French curves and creating the most beautiful calligraphy that I had ever seen.

Comment

Practice, practice, practice. If you're pieces don't turn out as good, study where the weak points are, and focus on those areas. Just don't expect instant gratification, a skill like this takes a lot of time a dedication to hone.
                Design is not decoration.

Comment

Thanks. @<b> - Ill look into the Scanlon book. What a great experience you must have had learning from a master in person.

@kemingMatters - I am practicing a lot. I'm definitely not getting instant gratification haha. It's easy to see that this could take a very long time to get good at. I've always loved drawing but I feel like I have absolutely 0 natural talent. And, its also disheartening when I see that the great lettering work I love so much is normally done by an art school graduate which I am not. Nevertheless, I love it and I feel like I HAVE to master hand lettering.

Would it be ok to post some of my practice in this thread for erh... critique or maybe just to get pointers on how I can practice more efficiently?

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X