Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in describing and finding this specific style

Hi All,
    Brand new to the forum so please be kind. I looked up graphic design forums and this seems to be the biggest and best, so hopefully I can find what I'm looking for.

I'm after a specific style of graphic design, and also any animation.
    I thought it was "puppet theatre" but even google images comes up with a different style and not what I'm after.

Please see this youtube clip to get a better understanding. It's from the film 'The Adventures of Baron Munchausen'.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7zPO3jr10k

I'm hoping to find more examples of work like this if anyone knows any, and find out if there's a particular name for this style.

This is another example. It looks more childish that what I'm after, but I guess it's similar:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyOgzo9lc4g

Style:
    (these are just some examples off the top off my head)
    Traditional canival type puppet theatre.
    Everything looks 2D and are on separate layers. Waves for example are a piece of cardboard covering the entire width of the stage and move in a looped action, with a different "piece" of wave behind it moving in alternating looped patterns. It provides the user with some depth, even though it's clearly 2D waves.
    Clouds hang from string from the roof.
    There are different layers of 2D clouds (like the waves) behind the hanging clouds to give more depth.
    The sun might be on a long stick or rod, and moves in the way a clock hand moves.

Thanks.

Welcome to GDF Brael

The first video is of a stage production, no puppets in that one. The "waves" are huge painted panels that are mechanized. No computer animation or "layers" are being utilized. The second is a animated drawn illustration, and quite different from your first link, graphically. So I'm not sure what you are asking exactly.

--------

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't post multiple times if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Oops sorry. Should have made myself more clear in that I understand the video is an actual stage production and not animation, but I've seen the odd design piece as well as flash-esque animation that takes the real-life stage or puppet theatre idea (like the youtube clip) and turns it into a, well, 2D design/animation piece.
      The video is just an example of the style in, I guess, traditional real life theatres.

I don't think it would be too difficult to create mind you, I'm just hoping there is a name that describes the actual style. I want to find other examples of it.

Comment

Scenography?

Set Design?

Theater Set Design?

Comment

Hmm, kind of reminds me of Of Monsters and Men's "Little Talks" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghb6eDopW8I

Are you thinking like Cutout or Papercutting? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutout_animation - there are some links to animated videos.
          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• Designia
            Designia commented
            Editing a comment
            That was SUCH a good video.

• Microswede
            Microswede commented
            Editing a comment
            Right?!

• ISitude
            ISitude commented
            Editing a comment
            Coolness!

could it be shadow puppetry? try to search as chineese shadow puppetry or "hacivat karagöz".

Comment

Hi Mornatari and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

looks like monty python style, correct me if i am wrong

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X