X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'How To Did He/She did this?'

I found this image on dribbble

made by Arno Kathollnig

I was wondering ; How did he do the typography? was it on path ? or was the points manually dragged to create the shape?
    I can't find a tutorial on it. Sorry if this is the wrong section to ask, I joined this forum because I'm new to illustrator, and I want to know more.

Illustrator.
    Envelope Distort.

Comment

Hi Dnates2014 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Envelope distort would do a very poor job of recreating this. For high quality results it would need to be done manually. I would construct a grid, draw it carefully by hand (as large as possible) using a straight edge, then scan it in and digitize it point by point. There is really no easy short cuts for this kind of stuff.

Comment

Sorry, yeah Skribe is right.
          I get Signlab and Illustrator mixed up. Arch Lower works well in Signlab to do that. Not so much in Illustrator.

Comment

• skribe
            skribe commented
            Editing a comment
            PD I would love to know more about this. It has been 13 years since I used SignLab, and I am sure it has change quite a lot since then. But I could not find anything about Arch Lower at all. Is that the name of a built in feature or an add on module or something? When I get back from living and working overseas, I would love to get back into the sign industry. I really enjoyed all the variety of work I experienced while working at sign shops.

How did he do the typography?
          This all American emblem is one of my all time favs! I first saw it featured in the American Type Founders specimen supplementary catalog 1912 published in 1917 !!!

https://openlibrary.org/books/OL7036...tary_catalogue

...that particular one and another he features on his dribble are to be found on page 188...

https://archive.org/stream/supplemen...e/188/mode/2up

...zoom in like crazy ...grab a screeny ...and let Photoshop or Illustrator do the rest!

So ... now that you know all that ...you tell me how he did that typography?

Comment

Ouch!!!
            Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

Daaaayam....Is dribbble a portfolio website or more like a Pinterest "stuff I like but obviously didn't design" board?
              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Perhaps for his 5,000+ followers he will make amends next time...

Comment

He does say he was simply making a reproduction and even offers the vector for anyone who wants to use it...
                  https://dribbble.com/shots/318137-Made-In-U-S

Comment

Great thanks, insult to injury. And I see that there is no link to the original work ...lol.

In rush attempt to rip this emblem (and the other ATF USA emblem too) as means for self promotion, he completely distorts the elongated type of the original's subtle characteristics! But, most notable of all ...his glaring replacement of the type used for the words MADE IN ...sigh.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X