The Power of Practice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Power of Practice

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5533734.html Click image for larger version

Name:	o-DRAWING-COMPARISON-BANKSIED-570.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	16998
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Exactly! I love how it's all laid out in plain sight! Thanks Gar!
    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Nice! Anyone can learn to draw. But not everyone has the patience to practice.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Perhaps now is good time to take a really long and hard look at the work of Jean Michel Basquiat ...and get to me on that.

More often than not repetition a.k.a. practice, will kill any and all individuality you've ever had...

Comment

That's true! I know how to draw too, not so well like that and I know that if I waste some hours practicing I can draw well, but since I started do work with graphic design, traditional art has isn't interesting anymore... I feel that I'm really wasting time...

Comment

The Translucent Veil is always the milestone on which artists (and sculptors) seem to be judged. It's a real skill to be able to pull off.
            I don't believe just anyone can learn to draw to that skill level, even with practice. One can certainly improve one's drawing ability but if there is a point where the would-be artist can no longer "see" the nuances necessary to progress, they can't progress.
            Just like I'm certain there are people out there with the ability to see in a wider color gamut than I can.

Comment

He is brilliant....Thanks to GDF for taking him....

Comment

Just a couple of things...

When it comes to artistic abilities, like learning to draw, I don't agree that everyone can get truly good at it through enough practice. Most everyone can improve, but only a few will ever excel. It's the same for learning the piano, football, singing, mathematics, gymnastics or drawing -- most everyone can get better through practice, but practice alone isn't enough to master any of these things. Instead, it requires endless hours of practice that are built upon a natural predisposition, aka talent.

Second, I think the article is written from an artistically naive point of view, and most of the examples it shows reflect that bias. Proficiency at drawing shouldn't be measured by how well an artist can imitate a photograph or draw medieval dragons. Personally, I'd rather see something with a little more creative depth.

Comment

I agree that if we practice time enough, we can achieve much better results,
                  i myself practice everyday my observational skills at the park near my work,
                  and i notice a couple things, first timeĀ“s i try to draw, i just draw horrible, then i get better, then you get bad again, and so on
                  till get steady.

But i had one thing in mind, if its bad repeat again, it may not be the exact image, but you are developing your way of drawing,
                  your trace, and the way you see and translate all the information around through your own visual language.

Comment

Originally posted by p.cabral View Post
                    But i had one thing in mind, if its bad repeat again, it may not be the exact image, but you are developing your way of drawing, your trace, and the way you see and translate all the information around through your own visual language.
                    I remember back in my university drawing classes, we had one professor who assigned us to meticulously draw 1 square inch of a dollar bill. The objective was to copy as precisely as possible every detail in that square inch, so I spent several days doing so with a very sharp 6H pencil. The professor in another drawing class the following semester complained about the assignment. He said that an artist's goal should never be to simply copy but to interpret what was seen in new and creative ways.

Comment

The thing is B, they were both right.
                      In my design classes years ago, it was always a struggle for some students to interpret beyond what they could actually see. Some of the exercises in 2D class caused them a lot of trauma. The real angst appeared when it came to 3D class, where interpretation can have 6 sides instead of 2.

Comment

Very cool, thanks for sharing, Gar!

I agree that some talent is required to reach a certain level, but you'll never know without a lot of practice, work and effort. Then, after you understand HOW to draw, you can find your own style. Besides, it's just fun to see how some very skilled artists got their start.
                        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• garricks
                          garricks commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Exactly! I loved watching the progression, and the style develop.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
                        Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
                        PanToshi
                        Happy Thanksgiving!

Today, 01:20 PM
                      • B
                        Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
                        B
                        Happy Thanksgiving everyone (even to those of you outside the U.S.)!

As for turkey, I worked a summer job in a Norbest butter ball turkey processing plant before college, and haven't touched...
                        Today, 12:57 PM
                      • Arka-Software
                        Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                        Arka-Software
                        There are many software in the market which are using for vector pattern are:- 1) Inkscape 2) Xara Xtreme 3) Skencil 4) Scribus 5) VRR 6) CoceptDrow PRO 7) ZeusDraw 8) MagicTracer 9) Nodebox 10) Tgif
                        Today, 12:46 PM
                      • PrintDriver
                        Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                        PrintDriver
                        You want a program that is used to dealing with vector axis data. Photoshop would probably be inappropriate.

The only way I can think to do this is to have a script written for Illustrator...
                        Today, 09:10 AM
                      • KitchWitch
                        Reply to New in Here
                        KitchWitch
                        Hi Asif_shawon and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
                        Today, 09:09 AM
                      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X