Defining Illustration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defining Illustration

I would like to clear up some concepts. If I make something solely for the purpose of showing it off is it considered art, illustration or design? Are icons considered illustration?

Language is not universal. Everyone walks around with their own definitions in their head.

To me, illustration is the augmentation or enhancement of conceptual conveyance through visual representation of the concept. It is an act performed for a purpose; and perhaps the product of that act.

That definition of mine leaves anything done only for the purpose of doing it or showing it out of the realm of "illustration." I'd say anything done only for showing is art; no matter what it depicts.

Icons? Assuming you mean icons in the computing device GUI sense (as opposed to say, the religious imagery called by the same term), I'd say they are most often "design" because they are conceived with a specific purpose as components of a system.
    I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Thanks. I should probably stick to work produced in real jobs. I'm trying to categorize my portfolio, and I suppose icons deserve their own category. I might also replace webdesign with UX design.

Talking about purpose, I just saw this funny pic:
      Last edited by sketxz!; 10-15-2014, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Categories are there just to make things easy. If it's confusing, find a different way to define it.

I wouldn't put personal art in a portfolio, unless you think it will help you get work.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Illustration technically means to communicate, but is more often than not understood to mean artistic rendering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artistic_rendering
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illustration
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communication_design

Comment

"Art" can be a catch-all for design and illustration--as well as fine art.

Illustration is art, and in most cases requires design.
            Design is art, but doesn't necessarily require illustration.
            Art can exist without illustration, and can exist with very little (if any) design, but can also make ample use of either, or both.

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X