Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed for letters T and E

Hello people,

I am new to illustrator, but I do learn fast. I have to be honest and say that I do lack artistic talent.

So here is the case: I am trying to recreate this logo: http://www.justpushstart.com/wp-cont...-Team-Logo.jpg

Instead of the words/letters "MARIO & LUIGI" used in the original logo (not the letters DREAMTEAM. I know that is font "el grande" http://www.azfonts.net/load_font/elgrande.html), I want to make my own text "RETRO GAME". Lucky for me I can use almost all the letters that are used in the original logo. But to make this work, I still miss 2 letters. The "T" and the "E".

Now I know this is a custom made font that cannot be found anywhere on the internet. So I tried to make these 2 letters myself. But I just really suck at comming up with a good style.

Ofcource I am also looking at existing mario and luigi fonts on the internet. I downloaded like 20 different mario and/or luigi fonts.

Examples:
    http://www.mariomayhem.com/downloads...onts/index.php
    http://www.fontspace.com/super-mario...ario-and-luigi

But I am just stuck. I can't seem to come up with inspiration about how to make these letters "E" and "T" in the same style.

So can anyone (with creative artistic insights) help me out here or give me a push in the right direction to make the letters "E" and "T" in the same style?

Beste regards,

Paul
    Last edited by KitchWitch; 01-14-2015, 07:57 AM.

Hi Paul666777888 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

http://img.youtube.com/vi/FzapNWFDp1o/0.jpg

?

Comment

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
        Hi Paul666777888 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        thnx KitchWitch I did read them before I made the post. Looks like normal forum rules to me that are all logic I will follow them

I am doubting to use that one. At the moment I have no idea how to custom make it. As u can see All the letters have been recreated. But the E and the T are still too ugly .

I will show u what I made so far.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/29by2ro.jpg

Comment

Look at the thickness of the vertical and horizontal strokes in the original letters and compare them to yours. In the original letters those things are all about the same width or thickness. In yours, they're much narrower. Make yours the same, and you'll pretty much have it.

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post
            Look at the thickness of the vertical and horizontal strokes in the original letters and compare them to yours. In the original letters those things are all about the same width or thickness. In yours, they're much narrower. Make yours the same, and you'll pretty much have it.
            thnx for ur tips. I Was planning to make the T as thick as the I (of LUIGI). And I am trying to make the left top dide of the E about the same as the R. That gonna work out?

@KitchWitch I cant seem to edit the first post. The link of picture I wanna recreate is not working correct. here is a new one: http://www.justpushstart.com/wp-cont...-Team-Logo.jpg

Comment

• KitchWitch
              KitchWitch commented
              Editing a comment
              The edit feature only gives you a short window. I can add your new link to the first post for you.

Originally posted by paul666777888 View Post
            thnx for ur tips. I Was planning to make the T as thick as the I (of LUIGI). And I am trying to make the left top dide of the E about the same as the R. That gonna work out?
            Stylistic consistency is the key. If the top bars of the letters are all XX thick, make yours that thick. If the bottom bars of the letters are XX high, make yours that high. If the vertical elements are a certain width, make yours that width. If the counters (the empty spaces in the letters) are a certain size, make yours match. If the curves, angles, slants, radii, etc., all look a certain way, make yours look that way too. If there are slight irregularities in all the letters, give yours that same degree of irregularity. If you decide to deviate from that consistency for stylistic reasons, do it deliberately, like the original designer did by making the "O" smaller.

I'll bet that you never realized how much consistency and attention to detail is needed to create a well-balanced but intentionally irregular and casual grouping of letters.

Comment

thnx for the help and ideas

so now I made this

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2ur3yhg.jpg

its not done , work in progress

Comment

• B
                B commented
                Editing a comment
                I think it's looking pretty good now.

Thnx B. I tried to follow ur tips and hits. Although I lack artistic talent I am a fast learner when it comes to software like illustrator.

-SO u think the E and the T looks good now?
              -SO u think the space between the letters are also good?
              -SO u think this image looks like it is a well-balanced but intentionally irregular and casual grouping of letters (in other words, does the pic looks like a good logo that is suppose to be like that, or does it look like an adjusted logo that is done not correct and looks like loose parts?).

So when the letters and positions are OK Here is what I am planning on doing:

-I am gonna make a few little controller shaped shapes between the RETRO and GAME instead of the 3 things that are now at that position
              -I am gonna move that gamenwatch figure more to the right and then I will put a mario or another character on the left. (I think I want 1 to hold some games/consoles and the other one holding cash or just nothing)

When this is done the logo is finished.

Then I am gonna make a few other ones/ other versions of the logo. Here are some ideas:

- using the exact same logo I made I wanna place the text RETRO, GAME and TRADER below each other and set the 2 characters on the left and on the right side.
              - using the exact same logo I made I wanna place the text RETRO, GAME and TRADER next to each other and set the 2 characters above it or just leave them out
              -using the exact same logo I made I wanna place the text RETRO, GAME and TRADER below each other and set 1 character in the middle, so it looks like he is pushing against the words to prevent him from getting squeezed
              -sing the exact same logo I made I wanna use a few other characters instead of mario and game n watch, so think about sonic, zelda, luigi, toad ect ect

what u think? (plz also give me comment about the current design and the positions and form of the letters)

Comment

The only thing I'd change is to place the T behind the E instead of on top. It's not a big deal, but as it is, the T sits above everything else. If the top stroke of the E overlapped the T, it would eliminate this small problem.

As for your proposed changes, I'd be cautious about overcomplicating things by adding in too many ideas. There's a design maxim saying that "Less is more." In other words, subtraction usually trumps addition.

Comment

thnx dude

so I made 2 new ones

==option 1 has the E behind the R, but also the T behind the E ect ect
                  ==option 2 had the E behind the other letters, I did think that I also had to put the M in front too

http://oi58.tinypic.com/orjd6x.jpg

the other logos I was talking about that I wanted to make is just for EXTRA. Because I wanna be able to switch logos everi few months or weeks. not being depened on 1 logo

There is going to be a second character on the left though... Or I leave it to just 1 and give him retro consoles or games in his hand (because it is a retro gaming trading compani)

what u think? (man I wish I have that artistic view, I used to have a good artistic view untill the teacher noticed it and gave me extra assignments.)

Comment

Hello... you can make these two letters using pen tools in Illustrator...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Harun and welcome to GDF.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X