Book Cover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Cover

I'm working on doing illustrations for a book. Who decides if I should put "Illustrated by" on the cover? Me or the client?

I would think that would be in your contract, but I've never illustrated a book that's been published before
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

Typically, the publisher decides that.
      If self-published, then the author decides that.
      And it should be in your contract where it goes.

Are you just doing the cover?
      Or are you illustrating the whole book.
      A lot of times cover art is only credited on the inside dust cover, or somewhere on the copyright page if no dust cover.
      A book that is illustrated in the pages as part of the story, depending on scope, may be credited on the front cover in smaller type than the author's name.

Comment

It's a matter of negotiating what you want in the contract. If you want your name on the cover, ask for it. If it's important to you, insist on it. A professional publisher, however, will likely say no, and will say that you'll get the standard credit line inside the book or jacket.

Comment

I'm confused as to whether you are just illustrating the just cover, or if you are illustrating the interior as well.

If the book is illustration heavy, I would imagine requesting a credit on the cover would be reasonable--unless they are technical illustrations. I don't think I've seen a credit for an illustrator in that type of thing.

If it is just the cover, you would not get credit on the cover itself unless your name was so well known that it would help book sales. The publisher isn't fronting money for the book just to give you publicity. You should be credited where all the other credits and publishing info goes.
          Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Craig B
            Reply to Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
            Craig B
            I think what you described is fairly typical of most jobs. I'm not saying it's identical but I do web design, email design, interactive apps, collateral, booth graphics, signage, posters, advertising,...
            Today, 10:46 AM
          • Colton819
            Reply to Getting a image ready for print
            Colton819
            So I tried doing Pantone colors but obviously they just couldn’t match close enough. The image I posted is actually a vector format I created a raster format then converted to vector in illustrator. I...
            Today, 08:47 AM
          • leaagg
            Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
            leaagg
            Hello,

I am a French designer working for a Turkish company (in turkey).
            I am now currently working on my updated portfolio because my main goal is QUIT !! The working conditions in...
            Today, 07:57 AM
          • PrintDriver
            Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
            PrintDriver
            Do people still use QR codes?
            Two phones ago I downloaded an app just to check that a client's QR code was linking properly when printed. 4 years later now, and that app has never been used again....
            Today, 07:06 AM
          • PrintDriver
            Comment on Getting a image ready for print
            PrintDriver
            Way too much sharing there, hank..........
            Today, 06:51 AM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X