Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to digital painting, need some tips

Hey all,

I am working on this blender for a project and I'm trying to make it look like typical 1960's advertisments.
    Here's what I have...Im not liking it, was wondering if someone could give me some pointers as to how to make the colors "pop" and be an overall more enjoyable piece.

Making the colors pop isn't the main problem. Learning how to draw well is how you could really improve what you've done, and that task is beyond the scope of whatever simple advise you'll get here.

Aside from that, if you want to make something look like an advertising illustration from the 1960s, you really shouldn't be using a modern digital drawing tool to do it. Back then, illustrations were done by hand using pens, ink, watercolors, gauche, markers, brushes, Zip-a-tone, rubylith, paint, illustration board, etc. If you want something to look like it was out of the 1960s, you'll get the best results by duplicating the processes and styles that caused them to look that way.

Comment

^^

Yep.
      Real-world pen/ink-on-paper drawing skill is what you need.

As for the style--the 1960s was quite possibly the most broad era of advertising illustration in the past 100 years. Things changed dramatically in a very short time, from stylistic influences to the availability and capability of color, etc.
      It would be hard to put a finger what you mean by "typical".
      Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

Originally posted by seamas View Post
        ^^

Yep.
        Real-world pen/ink-on-paper drawing skill is what you need.

As for the style--the 1960s was quite possibly the most broad era of advertising illustration in the past 100 years. Things changed dramatically in a very short time, from stylistic influences to the availability and capability of color, etc.
        It would be hard to put a finger what you mean by "typical".
        Any good tutorials out there that you'd recommend? Im trying a few life drawing tutorials but at 27 I feel Im too old to be starting new lol

Comment

• KitchWitch
          KitchWitch commented
          Editing a comment
          You are absolutely never, ever too old to learn new things.

I recommend an old-fashioned thing called a book titled, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.
        If you work your way through the book, in order, without skipping chapters no matter how stupid you think the exercise is, you will greatly improve your ability to "see" and your drawing will also improve.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
          I recommend an old-fashioned thing called a book titled, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.
          If you work your way through the book, in order, without skipping chapters no matter how stupid you think the exercise is, you will greatly improve your ability to "see" and your drawing will also improve.
          Thank you sir!

Comment

also, is there a way to stop my brush from "lagging" when painting in photoshop?

Comment

This illustration very simple.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X