How they did the drawings like this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How they did the drawings like this?

Hi, I've just seen this design and the drawings are so adorable. I want to ask that how the author did this? Is it hand-drawn or just photoshop manipulation?
    Link: https://www.behance.net/gallery/31461555/B-B
    This as well: https://www.behance.net/gallery/28444935/Rosemary-Cafe
    Thank you!

The rosemary may be hand drawn. I think the others (in the first link) are scanned images that have been cut and spliced together.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

These are simple hand drawn illustrations.

The ones in the first link may even be borrowed from earlier sources. Or they could also be hand drawn with purpose. I didn't bother to look at the obvious sources for new or old public domain stippled hand drawings to see if they were sourced or created. I'm guessing, since that is a mockup, that they were sourced.

The rosemary in the second link is hand drawn, but again, whether the designer did it, had it commissioned, or got it out of an old botanical book is open to question. It isn't 100% botanically accurate though. More stylized.

I'm always suspicious these days of designers with drawing skills. I shouldn't be, but it is so rare.

Comment

• Eldur Ta
        Eldur Ta commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for your comment,

As I'm still in University, I can see that is just about 10% of us that have a fairly drawing skills. We are taught how to use pencil, charcoal to sketch objects but the time is too short (about 3 months). And then we move to other courses. My instructor told us that bad drawing skill will not affect your path as a designer, all we need is idea. So will I get any disadvantages with my bad drawing skill? As often I design logo based on my very simple sketches (minimalism), up til' now I do not feel any disadvantage with that.

To pretty much repeat what's already been said, the rosemary illustration is a straight-forward drawing that, if it were me, would have been drawn with a technical pen, then scanned. The others look like bad scans of illustrations that were originally hand-drawn. The scans (and/or scans of scans) are so bad that it's impossible to say for sure what the original medium might have been. They almost look as though they were run through a copying machine several times.

Originally posted by PrintDriver
      I'm always suspicious these days of designers with drawing skills. I shouldn't be, but it is so rare.
      Sort of a tangent from the topic at hand, but yeah. I'm not referring to the question asked here, but the bigger problem of designers not knowing anything about hand-drawn work just blows me away. Worse still is the automatic assumption of some newer designers that a pencil sketch or a charcoal illustration must be the product of some amazing Photoshop plug-in.

Most designers in previous decades meandered into the field by means of an initial ability to draw. Today, it seems that most designers end up in this business by way of messing around with computer graphics applications. It's been a long time since I graduated from college, but do design programs in most universities not require a solid 4-years of various drawing classes any longer? There was not a single semester in my entire 4-year undergraduate program that I didn't take a life drawing class, and this was on top of various other drawing classes and classes where drawing ability played a part.

Comment

• Eldur Ta
        Eldur Ta commented
        Editing a comment

I'm not sure why designers need to study 4 years of life-drawing object since if you studied that long, it's more like being trained to be an artist. I'm currently in University and I was taught traditional drawing for 3 months and then moved to other courses. Don't know for sure if it's a bad or a good thing? I was told not to focus too much on drawing since what people seek is idea, not drawing skill nowadays.

• kemingMatters
        kemingMatters commented
        Editing a comment
        It'd be beneficial, drawing is seeing and the ability to see things completely helps you reduce them down to their simplest, yet still recognizable, forms like you would for a logo, icon or character. Lastly people don't seek drawing skill because they expect it.
        Last edited by kemingMatters; 12-07-2015, 10:51 AM.

• B
        B commented
        Editing a comment
        Eldur Ta, I actually don't think it's necessary for a university design program to require as many drawing classes as I had to take. In my case, the design program was embedded in a traditional fine arts school where a heavy emphasis on drawing ability was required of everyone. I also took quite a few painting, printmaking and illustration classes where, again, drawing ability was important.

So even though my program was, perhaps, too heavily focused on fine arts, I think many of today's design-specific programs are too focused on teaching design as a trade skill instead of developing a well-rounded person who can think, question, wonder, analyze and solve problems from a broader perspective and understanding.

Drawing abilities help in these areas because learning to draw requires developing the ability to see and interpret what is actually there. Most people, when asked to draw a face, for example, will immediately pencil in the shape of a head, then add symbols for the eyes, nose, mouth, etc. A person who has learned to draw well won't rely on these symbols and will concentrate, instead, on seeing and interpreting the planes, tones, shadows, shapes, angles and spatial relationships. As Keming was saying, this ability translates into helping a designer see past the obvious roadblocks and solutions and to focus, instead, on the more fundamental issues that lie at the core of the problem.

In addition, the ability to sketch is a fantastic skill for a designer to have when thinking through problems. It enables a designer to run through and quickly test dozens of ideas while making spontaneous and intuitive modifications. This ability is greatly underestimated by those designers who head straight to the relatively cumbersome approach of relying mostly on a computer interface to work through ideas.

The first one could be achieved with photoshop, I've done a similar treatment to photographs recently that involved converting the image from grayscale to bitmap and experimenting with the halftone screens. The second as mentioned is clearly an illustration.
      Last edited by kemingMatters; 12-07-2015, 11:16 AM.
      Design is not decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
        The first one code be achieved with photoshop, I've done a similar treatment to photographs recently that involved converting the image from grayscale to bitmap and experimenting with the halftone screen. The second as mentioned is clearly an illustration.
        I also think that the first one used photoshop to but I'm not sure. I can see the dots in it which make it look like a drawing.

Comment

The other areas where knowing how to draw would help would be if you ever have to do photo retouching and if you are ever using effects in your designs.

When your boss tells you to "just photoshop it," you really need at least some artistic skill to do a convincing finished piece. Or the confidence to know when to tell your boss there is just no way to do what he wants.

The ability to see how light interacts with objects helps there, and also when doing composite photo work. You need to find two (or more) images that are compatible and understand how the lighting will work when you mesh it all together.

As far as effects go in layouts, I cannot tell you how many times I've made the phone call to ask the designer if they really wanted their drop shadows in their layout going in two (or more) directions.

Comment

It's not so much learning how to draw that should be required. It's learning how to visualize accurately that should be required. You won't learn that from drag-and-drop graphics, clip art, and filters.

You can learn how to visualize accurately with Photoshop and Illustrator as long as you don't rely too much on clip art or plug-in effects. The same goes for 3D modeling. You can learn a lot about composition, sculpting, and photography lighting from a 3D modeling program as long as you don't rely on prebuilt models and scenes too often.

Comment

• designzombie
              designzombie commented
              Editing a comment
              I should clarify that by ''how to draw'' I mean on paper or canvas. Drawing on the computer with a stylus is a slightly different skill coordination wise, but is the same skill when it comes to seeing things as they appear, how to visualize.

I would challenge anyone that doesn't know how to draw to create a viable 3D anything without using props. And even then there is a steep learning curve. Perspective and spacial relations. You have to be able to see them in order to manipulate them.

Comment

I have heard that one doesn't need to know how to draw to be a designer many times over the years and I don't agree. I have also seen those who cannot draw drop out of the field. Many schools like to enroll those who can't draw, I can only suppose their motive is money, the more people that enroll the better for them. The success rate of those student who stay isn't always their goal.

Comment

That's why one of the things a student should look for in a school is one that requires a portfolio to get in. Because if the school doesn't require a portfolio to get in, really, how good can the program be?

Comment

Hi all,

There is one more thing that I found really interesting and do not know if they are drawings or not. Pls check it out here:
                  https://www.behance.net/gallery/2149...orante-Firenze
                  If they are drawing, what technique is it? Water color, color pencil, etc. It just looks so good.

Comment

• kemingMatters
                    kemingMatters commented
                    Editing a comment
                    it's clearly photos, each colour is setup as a duotone and then compiled together either as CMYK or separate plates

I agree with the consensus about the benefit of drawing for anyone in a visual/graphic/arts field.

Even film directors get a great benefit from having an ability to draw--even if it is rudimentary.

I think the importance of it to a Graphic Designer is illustrated in this forum time and time again:

A designer sees something (a style, etc) they want to achieve:

The ones with drawing skills analyze the thing and figures a way to mimic the style. The analytical skills involved in drawing are the same skills used to mimic a style--what technique to use, how to build the color, where to put the shadow, where to have the light, etc

The ones with no drawing skills often seek out a tutorial or a shortcut or a filter that will "make the style".

I think several of the "traditional" aspects of image making are also extremely important. Trends come and go in design, but various types of "retro" styles pop up all the time--or vintage styles are needed for any number of projects.
                  Very often this involves image creation to go along with the typography--and very often one is trying to mimic a printing style (lithography, etching, woodcut, etc).

Having a hands-on experience in in printmaking --or painting techniques makes for much more convincing output. Having knowledge of available color from ages ago is also helpful.

Filters are good shortcuts for fast, little jobs. Their real usefulness is when the designer has background knowledge of what they are trying to achieve.
                  Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

I completely agree that most designers are lacking in the ability to draw. Personally, I was drawing before I even knew you could make a career at it, so learning the technical skills to apply my love for drawing to various media and industries, such as paper print, textile print, and digital media, was a natural and necessary progression. When I began producing art for reproduction, there weren't computers capable of doing so. I was hand drawing with india ink on velum, working on a stat camera in a darkroom, cutting rubylith, exposing film, exposing plates and screens. Of course, I was doing these things at a VERY young age because of it all being available through the family business, but knowing these processes before computer aided design was even realized definitely made me a better designer overall.

The hard part about sourcing artwork you just happen to "find" elsewhere, is that it is still someone else's artwork, not yours. So using refined and final appearing art (like these deer and beetle above) as a sample can come back to bite you. Perhaps the client will like it so much that they decide it is exactly what they want. What do you do when you cannot use the art you sampled for the comp, and your own illustrations are no where near as good? The best bet is to offer simple art that is your OWN art in the sampling process, and then sweat it out over how you're going to produce an acceptable product once you have client approval to move forward. HOWEVER, always be sure to include the cost of hiring an illustrator or purchasing the rights to art if you know you have no way to create those illustrations yourself.

Comment

For perfect drawing, you need to learn photoshop so that you can give a nice texture to an image. There are lots of tools to edit an image that can be used for many purposes.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• StudioMonkey
                        Reply to Price of Foil vs. Varnish for business cards?
                        StudioMonkey
                        Neither Foil nor Varnish are done on a digital press - you would have to get your Business Cards printed Litho. For 100 cards this is always going to be expensive - you could probably get 2000 cards...
                        Today, 09:38 AM
                      • natalya.jpg
                        What do you think about my new web site?
                        natalya.jpg
                        What do you think about my new web site?

[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]Hello everybody![/COLOR]

I've just made my new website for the great opera singer. What do you think?...
                        Today, 03:16 AM
                      • mishulikes
                        Reply to The right typography
                        mishulikes
                        With body text, one tends to want use a simple serif for easier reading. Like B and PrintDriver have said, who is reading the magazine and even the genre of the content will dictate the typeface. I used...
                        Today, 01:13 AM
                      • mishulikes
                        Reply to Please critique my jazz poster
                        mishulikes
                        Coloring can make or break a piece. Jazz tends to be a moody, soulful music. The lime green does not fit that moody feel and it might have been better if you pushed you color scheme a bit further to add...
                        Today, 12:59 AM
                      • mishulikes
                        Reply to Hello All!
                        mishulikes
                        Thank you, KitchWitch!
                        Today, 12:13 AM
                      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X