Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-standard children’s book size for illustration?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-standard children’s book size for illustration?

Hi, I am currently creating a children’s book as the author and the illustrator. I am wanting to create this book at 9.5” x 11”. First I want to self-publish and then try to get a publisher to pick up the book later on if it does well. I am wondering will this size be acceptable for most publishers? When I search for children’s book sizes I see the standard sizes such as 8 x 10, 8 x 11, 8.5 x 11, etc. But I do not want to make a book that tall and narrow feeling. I like the height if there was more width. I bought some children’s books that size to see if I like it but I don’t think it’s enough width. Will many publishers be able to publish a book at 9.5” x 11”? I am wanting to know because I do not want to create my artwork twice.

Thank you in advance and yes I have read the rules
    http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...=1458759070322
    http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ode-of-conduct

Have you contacted any publishing houses to see if they have standard book sizes for children's books? Or if there are more "common" sizes that would be more likely to get picked up by a publisher?
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

No, I didn't want to bother any unless I have actual work to submit to them. I just didn't know if people knew if there were industry standard sizes that are acceptable and others that aren't.

Comment

You wouldn't be bothering them. That's what their customer service is there for. Even if you aren't a customer yet. We get countless emails and calls asking about specs. Maybe 1/4 of them turn into real jobs. But we answer them all because you never know which ones will turn into jobs.
        http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

When I do work like this, I visit a book store or library and get a feel for what's common and what I think works well.

Next, you should check with where you are getting your printing done, whether it is a printing company or an online self-publising site, they will have standard sizes based on economy.
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

As Buda just suggested, most publishers like to work to some kind of standard so they can get as little waste as possible in the paper yield. But books do come in all shapes and sizes so it just might be a few phone calls to find out.

Comment

I would suspect that they will want to reformat your book if they pick it up. Having a vast library of children's books, I can tell you that, annoyingly, there doesn't appear to be a standard size for children's books that is consistent among all publishers. My son's bookshelf looks a mess as a result.
              Design is not decoration.

Comment

Ok thanks for the replies! I'll consider reaching out to some publishers first.

Comment

Hey! Did you get an answer? I'm also putting together a children's book and have wondered this.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Clipping shop
                    Reply to 3D view of a logo
                    Clipping shop
                    sorry to say, I don't think that you know Photoshop pretty well. Because this type of design can be made through Photoshop. Beside this you can google it and can find any other software you like.
                    Today, 11:11 AM
                  • B
                    Reply to Briefs
                    B
                    I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all answer to your question. It depends on the company, its culture, the marketing person, the designer and the project at hand.

I oversee both the...
                    Today, 09:50 AM
                  • pers0n
                    Reply to Portfolio usage of work
                    pers0n
                    Well the work would be work I did. For example lets say I designed someone's logo, poster or website and they want me to take it down.
                    Today, 09:25 AM
                  • MinaZee
                    Comment on Logo Feedback
                    MinaZee
                    Thanks Glitchin , and i will.
                    Today, 06:32 AM
                  • Woodenpablo
                    Briefs
                    Woodenpablo
                    What's the general consensus on how to interpret briefs written by a marketing manager or director etc? I was in a meeting at work where I interpreted the brief incorrectly and got a critised for it....
                    Today, 04:43 AM
                  GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X