Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children's story book without animate object

Hi there,

I am planning on making children's story books. But for religious reasons I will not be able to put in animate objects (humans and animals) in it. However, I want a strong visual effect that appeals to children.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Is it just animals and humans? Or is any anthropomorphic object forbidden?
    I. E. An animated plant or rock?

That is truly a stumper to though. Sort of limits you to pretty lifeless landscape imagery and inanimate objects doesn't it?

Have you done any research into how others have tackled this?

Im sitting at a Dunkin donuts right now in a little downtown strip mall looking at all the ad posters in the windows, wondering how one can navigate a world where almost all graphic design as it exists here is considered offensive.

I'm sorry to be so ignorant of your religion. I really should do some studying on that.
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 05-20-2016, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Leo Lionni did it

Little Blue and Little Yellow

Pezzettino

Shel Silverstien did too
      The Missing Piece

David A Carter:
      One Red Dot

Check out Lois Ehlert as well
      http://www.amazon.com/Pezzettino-Leo-Lionni/dp/030792999X/ref=pd_sim_14_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=51dM1y7TwLL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR250%2C320_&refRID=04RNSW4TQDAFDGGQ0DV1 http://www.amazon.com/Missing-Piece-Shel-Silverstein/dp/0060256710/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1463752756&sr=1-1&keywords=the+missing+piece
      Last edited by seamas; 05-20-2016, 09:59 AM.
      Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

Use mythological characters, like the devil.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd consider One Red Dot a children's story book. Unless perhaps the child gets to make up the story. Kinda like a 3D rorschach.

Comment

• seamas
            seamas commented
            Editing a comment
            True, I may have been thinking of another book.

When my kids were little I was in the local bookstore (Borders RIP) at least once a week on my lunch break checking of children's books. Armed with discount coupons I built them up a pretty nice library.

There are quite a lot of cool ones with abstract art

Clouds... sky... water... planets... stars... colors... shapes... buildings... house... sidewalk... park... swingset... grass... and on and on.

Just streaming some consciousness here. What matters in children's books is accessibility and uncluttered narrative (words optional!). Beauty, emotions, and experiences can certainly be conveyed (even to the literal parts of children's minds) without animate beings.
          Last edited by docjavadude; 05-20-2016, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Hi Waleed and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X