Old school painted murals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old school painted murals

A glimpse into some old school mural painting. If you've ever heard the term ''pounce and paint'' (or even if you haven't) this gives you some idea how large scale imagery can be hand painted on large walls (or canvas too.) The same process is used to hand paint scenic drops for theatrical performances.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6oshTPjcWc

That was brilliant!! Murals at this scale has always been nothing short of magic for me. He makes the whole process sound so easy!!

Comment

I twice took the exam for the Scenic Painters Union in NYC. It was a pretty cool experience. 200+ exam takers in a huge warehouse all tasked with scaling up the same image and painting it on the floor. It involved copying an old master painting and then creating a trompe l'oeil frame around it --which was spec'ed by a profile diagram, a color sample of the gold, and a drawing of a decorative corner--then a trompe l'oeil "drapery" in front.
      Each element we had to put together was given in different scales, so each had to be scaled up independently to get the prescribed final size.

iirc we were given 5 hours to finish--panic would set in if at some point you made a mistake--either find a way to get the wet paint off the canvas or find a way to dry it quickly or work on another section.

There was also a take home exam.

The thing of the exam that was tricky was that there were no grades. If there were spots open in the union, they would take who they thought best. Maybe there were 5 spots, maybe 2.. Then when you got in, you could start looking for gigs with some of the shops.

I learned of this test from a guy who worked as a scenic painter. The thing of it was, you didn't need much "creative artistic" talent for the work (He got in before they started having the exam by doing other work), he had very little artistic background--most of the work is either "paint by number" or housepainting. One of his jobs was to make a brand new apartment look old for a movie--so the crew got in and painted the walls with a mix of paint and shellac--and maybe some old paint with globs in it. They slapped it on the walls so it looked like an old shithole with 10 coats on the walls, etc.

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

That is awesome! And Seamas, that's a great story too. Good find PD

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

I wouldn't exactly say it is paint by numbers. There are blending, shading and color choices to be made between and over the lines of the pounce pattern.
          Maybe not so much in the wall art shown here, but some of the hand painted scenic stuff we do goes way beyond keeping the colors between the lines. With this kind of stuff too, like Graphic Design, your artist self has to be able to give in to the vision of outside direction. Most of these things have a Tech Director or Scenic Director who has ultimate say in color and style decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
            I wouldn't exactly say it is paint by numbers. There are blending, shading and color choices to be made between and over the lines of the pounce pattern.
            Maybe not so much in the wall art shown here, but some of the hand painted scenic stuff we do goes way beyond keeping the colors between the lines. With this kind of stuff too, like Graphic Design, your artist self has to be able to give in to the vision of outside direction. Most of these things have a Tech Director or Scenic Director who has ultimate say in color and style decisions.

Yes, I was being over simplistic.
            Basically paraphrasing how it was described to me by someone who does this type of work.
            Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• mixlikes
              Reply to ​What is your favorite forum software?
              mixlikes
              Favorite forum software:
              1. phpBB
              2. MyBB
              3. Vanilla Forum
              4. XenForo
              5. Simple Machines Forum
              Today, 03:43 AM
            • Caleson
              Reply to Questions about Business Cards, Self Promotion
              Caleson
              Actually, I was referring to applying for employment. I'm kind of mixed on whether or not it would be a good idea, but I think overall, if the card is pretty creative, it could serve as a memorable token....
              Yesterday, 09:59 PM
            • fredz0003
              Logo critique for my personal blog
              fredz0003
              Hi, I am new to this forum. A bit about myself I am a programmer, and trying to build a professional looking blog. I've done web dev before, but I've never considered myself the artistic type. I followed...
              Yesterday, 04:57 PM
            • B
              Reply to Any Tech Geeks please help me?!
              B
              Of the options you mentioned, upgrading the RAM will make the most difference for the cost. Eight megabytes of RAM is almost a bare minimum when working with Adobe's graphics applications -- 16 is even...
              Yesterday, 04:56 PM
            • mrturner
              Any Tech Geeks please help me?!
              mrturner
              I am currently doing my graphics design work on my laptop which specs are listed below, It really does struggle to handle software like photoshop and illustrator. Do I, upgrade RAM? An 8GB ram stick for...
              Yesterday, 04:16 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X