Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper texture...

Hello everyone !

As it is written in the title, I am looking for a particular paper, or the way to reproduce it (with Ps and Ai).
    Here is the desired texture:

Color does not matter to me, just "grain" and roughness. I assume it's a recycled paper ... it almost looks like felt, isn't it ?

That kind of paper can be found in the illustrations of Ryo Takemasa

https://www.google.fr/search?q=ryo+t...w=1280&bih=591

Thank you all for your help !

​Troms

Have you tried noise and gaussian blur? That's where I'd start.

Comment

Thank you PrintDriver,

​Indeed it is a very good start, but it's missing the unregular fiber aspect... but well, I guess I could work on real paper too.

Comment

How about just getting a sample of the paper you want and scanning it. From there, you can manipulate it any way you might like. For that matter, there are plenty of already-existing higher-resolution scans of paper on the web that are either free or available for a relatively small fee.

Comment

Hi Troms and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Neenah makes a paper called Greystone. It looks similar to that. There are also grey parchment options out there.
            I'm trying to get you an image of the greystone. I believe i have some here somewhere...

Comment

Eh... not as close as I thought

Comment

Thank you very much, but indeed, it's not so close

​So I've made some textures by the noise photoshop option (even if i'ts not as natural as I wanted).
                ​How could I make the shady edges like the following attachment, on the green field ? I've to use a brush, I guess ? (I'm an AI user, so I'm not so use to work with Photoshop... and the shadow or glow options aren't suitable).

Click image for larger version

Name:	tis-ryo-takemasa-medium.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	21529

Thanks everyone
                Attached Files

Comment

There are hundreds of high-resolution paper textures online. Many of them are free; some, like on Shutterstock, cost a few dollars.

Yes, like on the map of the Fuji area in your example, you would use Photoshop's various brush settings to darken/shade/highlight/color/etc selected areas to achieve the "shady edges" you're after.

There are at least a dozen ways to get from here to there, but, if you were trying to recreate your map example, you might:
                  • Build the base art in Illustrator
                  • Move the various shapes to be manipulated into Photoshop on separate layers
                  • Create a bottom layer into which you would place the paper texture you scanned or downloaded
                  • Change the opacity of each layer and its attributes (multiply, darken, dodge, etc) to show what's beneath to whatever degree you need
                  • Select the green layer that you want to apply the edge shading to
                  • Select all (command a on a Mac), then with the Move tool selected, click one of the arrow buttons. This will select all the shapes on that layer by drawing a tight lasso around each. It will also move everything on the layer by one pixel, so click the opposite arrow button to move the now-selected shapes back to their original position
                  • To get the shaded edges on these now-selected shapes, select the brush tool, choose the size of the brush and its hardness. Select the brush mode you want (for this, maybe, darken). Select the opacity of the brush (for this, keep it low, like 6-10%). Then shade to your hearts content.
                  This will take a bunch of trial and error, but you can always back out of what you did by using the history palette to explore other settings and options. Before you modify a layer, it's sometimes a good idea to duplicate that layer and hide it (so you'll have the original in case you mess things up). Another little tip would be transferring selection shapes from one layer to the next. For example, let's say you selected one of the green shapes, but wanted to darken the paper texture on the bottom layer only beneath that shape. That's easy to do by simply selecting that paper layer while the shape is still active -- now the selected area will be on the paper layer instead of the green layer. Yeah, it's a bit complex, and I can think of a dozen other ways to get from here to there, but I've been doing this sort of thing for decades, and it's easy enough once you've figured it out and practiced enough.

Comment

Thank you very much for your time and advices, B ! It's now time to try and train

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X