Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did photo-realistic illustration die out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did photo-realistic illustration die out?

When did it die out and when did traditional illustration become less tied to design?

Photorealistic illustration is not dead, you are generalizing.

Where are your facts to back up your assumption?

The "death" of "Traditional Illustration" by your definition is incorrect in that you attribute it to a minor role in design.

How do you justify your statement? In what context? In what media form? Historically or in a defined timeline?

You are wrong and I disagree with your hypothesis where and when do attribute the claim you have made?

Explain...
    Last edited by MikeHun; 03-04-2012, 09:28 AM.
    "After all is said and done, more is said than done."
    Aesop

Comment

Did it die out?
      Found these with a quick google search, I have no affiliation with either artist.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2012/0...ith-a-bic-pen/

http://www.juanfranciscocasas.com/es/galeria
      Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

I don't think it has died out, but I think it has been supplanted to a large part by digital photography, which is quicker and less expensive to produce.
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
          I don't think it has died out, but I think it has been supplanted to a large part by digital photography, which is quicker and less expensive to produce.
          Agreed, but not always the case. I recently commissioned a paper sculpture for a piece.... actually it was a series of 3 individual sculptures to be used in a variety of communications.

It was expensive and a scheduling challenge , but the end product was well received and achieved the intended result.
          Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

It died out about the same time I finished college and my three year illustration program: 1983. Same year the Mac hit the streets.

Traditional illustration, by definition, has always and will always be 'tied' to design. It's a skilled craft that 'shines light' upon the copy it supports.

You do drawing/painting without tying it to copy, and it's not illustration -- it's standalone art.

Last edited by Bob; 03-04-2012, 11:57 AM.

Comment

It hasn't died out. You just have to know when to use it and where to look for it. I've hired artists for various projects over the past 15 years that all illustrate by hand. The problem today is not many projects have the schedule to allow it so something is whipped up on the computer to make do. At least IMO, that is....

Comment

Illustration died the year I was born? Maybe I am illustration reincarnated.

Illustration hasn't died. Photography just takes up a larger percentage than before the '80s.

I agree that it is hard for an illustrator to work full time as an illustrator, but with less and less people knowing or learning how to draw, the skills are appreciated.
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHun View Post
                  Photorealistic illustration is not dead, you are generalizing.

Where are your facts to back up your assumption?

The "death" of "Traditional Illustration" by your definition is incorrect in that you attribute it to a minor role in design.

How do you justify your statement? In what context? In what media form? Historically or in a defined timeline?

You are wrong and I disagree with your hypothesis where and when do attribute the claim you have made?

Explain...
                  This reads like a Monty Pyhton sketch.

I have seemed to have walked into the wrong class, I was after "how to make an argument", not "how to tell someone they're wrong 50 different ways".

I also agree with Garricks.

I like Garricks.
                  Last edited by jld; 03-04-2012, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Everyone likes Garricks. He's a likable badgerman
                    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I was reffering to period when commerical design and illustration used a lot of lush lithographic and airbrushed illustration(ads, movie/game/etc..) as a main element.

Seems that there were varying factors that made this less used by the late 1990's.

Comment

Using an airbrush is hard. Requires years of mastering. Almost to the point where you need a natural talent.

I guess it's similar to how Ford created the production line in mass production. If you can do it faster, with less hassle and with a smaller learning curve, then why not?

Comment

Cheaper, quicker for sure favour photo/photo-illustration, for 'new' imagery-- but it doesn't explain why stock photography outsells stock illustration by huge margins.

For that you have to explore the psychology of viewer and clients. Illustration, by nature of it's much more personal stylings, packs a huge and risky wallop that isn't a real concern with most photography. Emotions and styles are very risky things -- you risk totally alienating or dividing you viewership. Unless you're looking for a way to gently diffuse a subject that is too strong for photography's realism. That's often when illustration's gentler, whimsical, or just downright comic side can shine. But comedy itself is risky business, so photography is still favoured for visual humour to minimize this risk.

Infographic illustration? That's another realm altogether.

There's also print technological evolution. Back in the days when only a few products used 4 colour printing for packaging -- or when presses struggled with poor paper and haltoning -- good, realistic line illustration made great sense.
                          Last edited by Bob; 03-04-2012, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Take a look at Children's book illustrations and yes that means tablets also. Lots of traditional Illustration there. Architectural there is a market for "Trad" techniques, Medical there you go. It hasn't died out but certainly it has subsided from a dominance before the advent of cheaper photographic reproduction in terms of lithographic. I would say a more accurate era is look at the 1930's as the beginning of a "switch" to modern methods.
                            Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by jld View Post
                              This reads like a Monty Pyhton sketch.

I have seemed to have walked into the wrong class, I was after "how to make an argument", not "how to tell someone they're wrong 50 different ways".

I also agree with Garricks.

I like Garricks.
                              The members statement was self serving he asked when illustration died out when in fact it hasn't died out completely.

I asked him for evidence to the contrary.
                              Aesop

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• nomorext
                                Hi there, pixels!
                                nomorext
                                Just saying hi from North Carolina, USA. Moving shortly to Leicestershire UK. Anyone local for tips about finding a job in our field over there?
                                Today, 12:54 PM
                              • Glitchin
                                Reply to 3D view of a logo
                                Glitchin
                                Google: free logo mockup psd and you will find what you're looking for. If you look around that exact mock up is available for free. I have it myself but I can't think where I got it....
                                Today, 12:45 PM
                              • B
                                Reply to 3D view of a logo
                                B
                                You could use most any 3D application, but something like this would be easy enough to do in Photoshop.
                                Today, 12:39 PM
                              • Closer
                                3D view of a logo
                                Closer
                                Hey Guys!

I am looking for the software, to make these awesome presentations of
                                logo - designs:

Thanks in advance!
                                ~Closer...
                                Today, 12:30 PM
                              • designzombie
                                Reply to How do we interact with Graphic Design communications on an everyday basis?
                                designzombie
                                Hint: we interact with graphic communications far more often than we interact with graphic design communications.
                                Today, 12:23 PM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X