Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• kemingMatters
    Reply to My First Design Assignment.
    kemingMatters
    I think seamas summed up the T-shirt nicely, so I'll leave it alone.

I have to say, I really can't stand the pity angle the poster is taking, does that child even use the services or are...
    Today, 03:33 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Cover Layout Feedback
    KitchWitch
    Hi Yehoshua and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 02:19 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    KitchWitch
    I always try and find the best solution, not the best price. So if the best solution is less expensive than another, bonus for the client. It comes back around. My mom just had a bunch of papers drawn...
    Today, 02:17 PM
  • iyiyi
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    iyiyi
    The mac mini with 16gb is $700 new online. The monitor I want is a 27" at $250 (already have a 24" cinema display I would use a second monitor). The smallest, 21.5" imac with 16gb is $1500...so...
    Today, 02:13 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Comment on My First Design Assignment.
    KitchWitch
    The forum is psychotically insane, Krazy. Lots of things don't work and some just don't work well. The best way to post an image (that I've found) is to upload it to an image hosting site (I use Photobucket),...
    Today, 02:02 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawing calms you down... sort of.

So here I am... the last one at work. My car was dropped off at 8am this morning when they assured me it would be ready by 4pm. Right.

This would be the night that my son's scheduled to have his first driving lesson. A one car family, in a town without buses (and just one taxicab), and a 45 minute work commute... car repairs are especially tricky.

My wife's friend has volunteered to shuttle him to and fro (thank you Cyndy!) and now I'm just waiting for a call from the garage so that they can come and pick me up (they're about 3 miles away).

Time to... de-stress. Pull out the drawing tablet and... draw!

Trying to learn a new app: Smith Micro's Manga Studio. The more I play with it, the more I like it. But it's a new UI and that's always a head cranker.

Anyhow... here's how I spent the last 40 minutes!

sucks about the complication, but hey it made for a cute comic.

Very nice. Does the app have different pencil sizes and such? How's it set up?
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

It's really hard to describe because the interface and operation are really focused on comic/graphic novel production. Complicated by the tremendous gap in translating the interface and support docs from Japanese to English. I mean, they've done an okay job, but because this isn't Photoshop... they've got a huge gulf of understanding to bridge. A small example? The default story mode is binding on the right, for backward reading Japanese layouts. You can change that easily but... why not just do that for the North American market?

That said, the more I read about it online, watch the pro's-doing-it kind of videos, the more I see that more and more pro English comic book artists and even illustrators are jumping aboard.

The default pen set is actually fairly nice. Fast, smooth, and very responsive. Even on my 9 year old, ancient-processor Toshiba. The example I just posted was with the default 'Brush' set to light, which I like for its somewhat sketchy, dry brush style. But the tones were added using a 'Watercolor' brush which was part of a free, distributed set put out by a guy who loves the program and figured out how to extend a lot of the brush action into more 'natural media' behaviours. It's actually caused quite a change in thought about this program which unfortunately for North American marketing purposes, is too unfairly tied to everyone's own image of the 'Manga' style. If they called it something else, I'm sure they would have sold more as the app is certainly capable of a lot more than black and white/tone styles.

One thing I was playing with recently is what they call Perspective rulers. Available in 1, 2, and even 3 point perspective -- it's a great way to set up and quickly draw perspective scenes.

It does support full color-- but I'm sticking to mono-bw while learning.

The biggest 'drawback' as far as I can see is it's limited export options. Especially not being able to transfer to PDF (or any format) without rasterizing, their vector brush layers.

But it has amazingly full, and rich, layout support. It's hard to describe all the stuff it can do in that area -- but if anyone's interested, they have a free trial version available (Smith Micro).

Because of its speed, and conenient sketchbook/page format and easy to panel comic layout support, I'm thinking of moving my main sketchbook work to it. It's got a lot of great drawing stuff in it -- more than any other single drawing app I've tried so far. Maybe not so much in painting -- but how it's organized makes a lot of sense... once it all sinks in. Hopefully... soon!

Comment

Sounds really cool!

The name is gonna hurt them for sure... I think manga and my brain does not equal that to comic books. They are 2 totally different things in my brain. Comic books are something I buy and love, Manga is something I try to steer clear of... just cause it's overwhelming and I not need more obsessions.
        I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Yeah, it's ironic, isn't it? As PD says, it would have made more sense to call Illustrator 'Logo Maker'. Not that some people don't use AI as their main tool for illustration -- it's just that it's never been about drawing and painting and multi-page comics and such.

The other kind of strange thing about Manga Studio is that it's so clearly full of legacy production support -- non-repro blue-pencil line sketch layers, black and white tint and tone layers, rubylith coloured masks -- a lot of retro design terms and tech lurking inside. Kind of nostalgic, actually.

The biggest layout feature that is very cool for comics is how you can quickly define your panels on a page, and the app generates separate layouts for each panel which are individually masked, meaning you can overshoot any panel boundary you're drawing in quite recklessly without worry, as it's all masked off.

I actually wish Photoshop had the little floating selection palette this app has whenever you make a selection. It's pretty cool. You can tell that the UI was designed around the fact that many users will be going at it with a draw-on-top monitor/screen combo -- they've minimized the keyboard dependency quite a bit.

Comment

I have Manga studio. I love it

Nice work Bob

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Thanks! The bottom left panel features my much maligned coffee (now tea) mug which I've had for about twenty years now. I dropped it about six months after I got it and the handle broke off leaving just those nubs. Everyone new always asks me when I'm going to replace it... right. What's more embarrassing is when the crew buys me a new mug for a birthday gift. They finally 'got it' after about six attempts.

So what do you do with your Manga, m'dear?

Comment

Most of the stuff I posted in the Wacom thread was created using manga studio. It has that lovely ability to make a non pixeled curve

Comment

Originally posted by Red Kittie Kat View Post
                  Most of the stuff I posted in the Wacom thread was created using manga studio. It has that lovely ability to make a non pixeled curve
                  Actually, many apps do now as well. I mean, AI's vector brushes are very good and powerful, as are Xara's, even Fireworks.

What I love are messy, natural looking curves and media. It's funny, because almost every guide I've seen/read about drawing digital emphasizes the drawing software's ability to 'smooth out hand jitter', something I don't want at all! As I'm getting a better understanding of Manga Studio, I'm starting to realize that many of the drawing pieces that I've seen and wondered, "wow, how could they take so much time to do that?" are actually greatly assisted by the software, I mean besides the 'smoothing' of pen lines. Drawing natural looking parallel lines, for example. Or concentric circles, say - like bricks inside a water well. It makes sense to develop these tools for high-speed, volume-centric work -- but it does tend to homogenize the styles.

RKK, if you have Manga Studio, check out: http://tinyurl.com/cybqy4j

At the top is a free file download for 'Natural Media Brushes' by Ray Frenden. Inside the ZIP there's a folder (both Mac and PC) with instructions on how to install (basically, just finding the right folder to drop it into).

I think you'll really emjoy the additional range these brushes bring to Manga Studio.

Comment

Thanks Bob will do

.... and I have Xara .. that works really well too

Comment

http://manga.smithmicro.com/ms.html?...FQNgTAoduik70g

Is this the software you speak of? I might have to check into it. I have heard some good things about before. And...it's cheap also.

So...I hope you got your car back. I had my truck in for tires, oil, and general maintenance about a month ago. They said early afternoon. Somehow, early became 5pm. I was not happy. But...my new tires are REALLY cool. LOL
                      "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

Yeah, Manga Studio is fast becoming my go-to for sketching and drawing. I like that I can just keep adding pages to the 'sketchbook'. But the best thing, for me, is the speed and feel of the sketching (pencil/pen) tools. Quite nicely done.

The car is back, for another kick at things. At 405,000 km, it doesn't owe me anything. By rights, it should be beer cans by now. But... one kid in college, another on his way in the fall...

Hang in there baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                          Yeah, Manga Studio is fast becoming my go-to for sketching and drawing. I like that I can just keep adding pages to the 'sketchbook'. But the best thing, for me, is the speed and feel of the sketching (pencil/pen) tools. Quite nicely done.

The car is back, for another kick at things. At 405,000 km, it doesn't owe me anything. By rights, it should be beer cans by now. But... one kid in college, another on his way in the fall...

Hang in there baby!
                          I had to do the Math around that because it looked darned impressive. That's 252,000 miles!!!!! My last three cars add up to slightly under that. That goes back to my 1995 Ford Ranger. I'm impressed to say the least.

Thanks very much for the head's up on the software. I'll try and check it out after I finish my portfolio homework for tomorrow.
                          "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

Well, I don't think I'll even come close to catching up with this gal:
                            http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ks-her-chariot

Be sure if you download the Manga trial that you also try out those brushes I mentioned to Kitty, up the thread.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X