X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colored pencils

I used to do a lot of work with colored pencils, and have a nagging urge to get back to doing some of that. I never used anything but Prismacolor pencils, but there are other professional artist-grade brands from some very reputable companies like Derwent and Faber-Castell. Even Dick Blick has its in-house brand of colored pencils.

Has anybody here tried these other brands? Has anyone compared them to Prismacolor pencils? Any preferences?

Originally posted by ;948538
    I used to do a lot of work with colored pencils, and have a nagging urge to get back to doing some of that. I never used anything but Prismacolor pencils, but there are other professional artist-grade brands from some very reputable companies like Derwent and Faber-Castell. Even Dick Blick has its in-house brand of colored pencils.

Has anybody here tried these other brands? Has anyone compared them to Prismacolor pencils? Any preferences?
    I've tried Faber-Castell's a time or two ... But nothing works like Prismacolor

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Originally posted by Red Kittie Kat View Post
      I've tried Faber-Castell's a time or two ... But nothing works like Prismacolor
      Same here. The Prismacolor pencils have always worked well. Minimal crumbling. Don't use them as much these days though. Kind of like their markers, I've amasses several sets of the pencils over the years. Never tried the Prismacolor Verithin series though.

Although a limited color palette, I'm curious about the Koh-I-Noor Woodless colored pencils.

Comment

justdrawit—I liked both the Verithin and regular Prismacolor pencils. I used to use the black versions in an acrylic/pencil illustration technique.

Back in the old days of comprehensive layouts and semi-comps, I used to use both of those brands along with markers and about anything else I could find for layouts. A Verithin pencil line could stop a marker with a clean, sharp edge.

That's back when we dressed for living large—like the guys in Madmen.
        http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

I used to work for an art supply retailer for a couple years--one of the larger companies around at the time (Pearl Paint).

I think I tried just about every product in the place.
          Prismacolor is as good as any, and the other brands mentioned are really just as good.

One wild card is with any pencil, if it gets dropped on a hard surface the lead inside the pencil can break/crumble. You never know if the pencil you buy got dropped or something. Usually the sets have them cushioned a bit.
          Also certain pigments just require more or less binder so they hold together--that's why some colors seem to lay color better than others.

I have found that for must artistic purposes the best way to sharpen a pencil is with a sharp knife. One major advantage with using a knife is you can shape the point if you wish--a chisel point is often more interesting than a uniform point.
          Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

FYI:
            Give watercolor pencils a shot.
            For most practical purposes they work just the same as other colored pencils, but the pigment is water soluble--so you can hit up some areas with a brush and water to make blends, etc.
            Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
            Working...
            X