X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The road... from sketch to final

I was looking through my bookmarks (some day I must organize these!) for a blog site I came across on drawing that I thought would be great to share. No luck -- but I did come across this series about drawing by James McMullan. Amazing stuff.

Hope you guys enjoy it:
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/category/line-by-line/
    Last edited by Bob; 04-20-2012, 04:01 PM.

Very nice!!!
    "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

Great article

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

One of my favourite extracts from James McMullan's drawing 'lesson' #1:

I confess that much contemporary drawing disappoints me for its lack of risk and immediacy. It often seems like the product of a too premeditated and too lengthy process of refinement. Part of this may be the influence of the computer and the surface perfection that it achieves so easily; geometrically pure shapes, even textures, clear colors.

Another source of this arid quality may be attributable to the use of photography as a drawing shortcut. Photography as a source for subject matter has opened many amazing possibilities in 20th and 21st century art, but when it is used as a tracing or projecting tool in order to circumvent the difficulties of achieving correct proportion, the resulting art is often static and lifeless.

Drawing is a process of engagement for the artist, a period of both time and struggle that pulls the artist deeply and intensely into his subject and his ideas. Projecting a photograph in order to give you a perfect drawing of your subject has robbed you of all the imperfect yet more interesting drawings you might have made.

Comment

It's good to read an article about traditional methods of illustration and design. My graphic design work is done primarily on a computer. I paint and draw, but that is my other life. This article is inspiring me to combine the fine art and graphic design. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Awesome... that is Graphic Art!

And who said traditional Illustration wasn't being use anymore?
            "After all is said and done, more is said than done."
            Aesop

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
            Working...
            X