No announcement yet.

The road... from sketch to final

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The road... from sketch to final

I was looking through my bookmarks (some day I must organize these!) for a blog site I came across on drawing that I thought would be great to share. No luck -- but I did come across this series about drawing by James McMullan. Amazing stuff.

Hope you guys enjoy it:
    Last edited by Bob; 04-20-2012, 10:01 AM.

Very nice!!!
    "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Great article
      Hello... My name is Kittie and I'm a Font-a-holic.

One of my favourite extracts from James McMullan's drawing 'lesson' #1:

I confess that much contemporary drawing disappoints me for its lack of risk and immediacy. It often seems like the product of a too premeditated and too lengthy process of refinement. Part of this may be the influence of the computer and the surface perfection that it achieves so easily; geometrically pure shapes, even textures, clear colors.

Another source of this arid quality may be attributable to the use of photography as a drawing shortcut. Photography as a source for subject matter has opened many amazing possibilities in 20th and 21st century art, but when it is used as a tracing or projecting tool in order to circumvent the difficulties of achieving correct proportion, the resulting art is often static and lifeless.

Drawing is a process of engagement for the artist, a period of both time and struggle that pulls the artist deeply and intensely into his subject and his ideas. Projecting a photograph in order to give you a perfect drawing of your subject has robbed you of all the imperfect yet more interesting drawings you might have made.

It's good to read an article about traditional methods of illustration and design. My graphic design work is done primarily on a computer. I paint and draw, but that is my other life. This article is inspiring me to combine the fine art and graphic design. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome... that is Graphic Art!

And who said traditional Illustration wasn't being use anymore?
            "After all is said and done, more is said than done."

Latest Topics

• kemingMatters
              Comment on Graphic Design for as game as Bachelor Thesis
              IMHO the azurite isn't a good match, Fresca isn't bad option, but you might want to square it up against accidental pres, it's hard to tell from the image though.
              Today, 06:23 PM
            • Prop4t3
              Reply to Hi there!
              Hello, I'm Joseph, i'm from Newsody, i'm an international business developer in France & studyiing communication strategies.
              I'm working in two projects :
              Newsody : News agregator website...
              Today, 04:47 PM
            • calebninja
              Reply to Looking for mentor
              I'm sure there are resources out there for someone wanting design advice. I know Adobe uses Behance as a platform for other designers to conduct local meetups.

However these resources vary...
              Today, 03:50 PM
            • BlueCrab
              Calebninja: Sorry my post was not meant to attack your criticisms on youtube tutorials and blogs, but more so to spark the question as to the resources available to make a designer better outside of school....
              Today, 03:02 PM
            • calebninja

I can only speak for myself but I was responding to learning design from a blog and YouTube videos. There was never mention of well known design books, workshops, case studies,...
              Today, 02:34 PM

Incredible Stock
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings