Scratch Art

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch Art

Does anyone do scratch art? I've started playing with them and find they're lots of fun. I'm hoping to find time to make another one this weekend. Here's my first few. They are all of musicians so far. It's a really fun medium to work in. I'm kind of spastic with the lines but I'm still learning! It's different to build up highlights instead of shadows.

You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

VERY nice work!
    "I love deadlines. I love the 'whooshing' sound they make when they go by." - Doug Adams
    LinkedIn

Comment

Wow that is awesome! I like the scratchy texture as well, doesn't look spastic to me . So neat!
      "I want to make beautiful things, even if nobody cares."--Saul Bass

Comment

Very nice! Haven't done one of those in... I don't care to say how many years...

blog/portfolio

Comment

Nice Cornfed! I like how the energy lines are coming through.

This reminds me, have you ever heard of this product?

http://tinyurl.com/6h4tva6

Apparently, the lines are saved as vector PDF files. Interesting. I'd like to try one, it kind of reminds me a bit of scraperboard -- as we used to call it.

Do you make your own boards or do you buy them? And what's you scraper tool kit like?

Comment

Those are quite impressive, Cornfed. I did one, not as good as yours, for an event flier for the local goth crowd. It seemed appropriate to the subject.

People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
            -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

• Igoni Harrison
              Igoni Harrison commented
              Editing a comment
              very creative good job

Thanks! I haven't heard of the boogie board. I just won a kindle fire a few weeks ago and got a drawing app for that and a stylus. Not so impressed with the stylus.

I've been using the ampersand museum series clayboards. It's a layer of clay on masonite then india inked over that. I'm using a little scraper tool that has four sharp tips on it - they take up about 1/8" space all together so each prong is about 1/32". I wasn't really sure what my options were beyond the supplies in front of me at Michaels! It was an impulse buy. I read that some people use x-acto's. I'm going to look into other tools but for now it's just been the little 4 pronged one.
            You're no longer a child when a mud puddle is an obstacle rather than an opportunity!

Comment

Love the Guitar Face.

Comment

Oh Nobert, that's very nice! I'm excited to see someone else doing these! What did you do yours on and with what tool? Did you ink on the board for the color? I haven't bought ink yet.

Comment

Thanks Meffy! That's Robert Cray!

Comment

Is this where you cover the entire thing with a dark color and then scratch off the first layer exposing a lighter color underneath?

Really nice work, I love the simplicity of creating an image with nothing more than black and white.

Comment

Yes, Kool, but I buy the boards pre-covered so I'm not doing all that. Mine are all white underneath. I don't know what other kinds you can get. I've seen kids paper with rainbow stuff under them. Kid paper is covered with more of a waxy material and scratches easier.

Comment

I've done a few on multi colored boards....but, no pic to show. They aren't very good anyway. CF yours are wonderful

Comment

Thanks Kittie! What did you scratch yours with? I find the boards are hard to scratch but the results are so fun that I keep doing them.

Comment

Cornfed, those are gorgeous. Just gorgeous. You're amazing.

Nobert, I love your Zombie Prom!
                            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• B
                              Reply to What is Abstraction Art?
                              B
                              One question: why did you feel compelled to register and tell us this on your first post?

Unfortunately, you won't get a chance to answer since you copied your post from here: https://ww...
                              Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                            • La Mer Siren
                              Reply to Portfolio Design Critique
                              La Mer Siren
                              I love your ZD branding! Great colors and hierarchy. I would like to see more pieces similar to that. You might want to try a different color then gold for your IMMARISA piece. It looks a little washed...
                              Yesterday, 07:40 PM
                            • MikeTyler
                              Help with bitmap to vector conversion
                              MikeTyler
                              Hello all -

I just joined GDF and look forward to learning and sharing some knowledge. I am a hobbyist but have a technical background and hope someone can help me.

I have a...
                              Yesterday, 06:29 PM
                            • sacred888
                              What is Abstraction Art?
                              sacred888
                              What is Abstraction Art?
                              This Design/Artwork is Called Abstraction Art because Abstraction Art is art which indicates a departure from reality in the way art is represented. Abstraction Art is unconcerned...
                              Yesterday, 05:40 PM
                            • B
                              Reply to Creating Outline of Logo (Help!)
                              B
                              What do you mean by "set proportion?"

As for outlines, how did you create it? Ultimately, you really ought to draw it in vector format....
                              Yesterday, 04:13 PM
                            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                            Working...
                            X