Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• BillyLogan
    Reply to Oh Portland!
    BillyLogan
    Great work! My only concern is that it does not seem to have a focus subject on it. Add something really cool or highlight something you want to emphasize. Aside from that, I find it really artistically...
    Today, 01:45 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to How to choose a good graphic design for a web design company?
    BillyLogan
    Designing is both a skill and a talent. It is naturally God-given but you can study about it some more to enhance it. I suggest that you go and study first about the basics, line, color, typography and...
    Today, 01:43 AM
  • megoggsc
    Oh Portland!
    megoggsc
    This is something fun I did to remember my trip to Portland!...
    Today, 12:36 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Howdy from Texas!
    Buda
    What is the project and what is the product? Most companies protect their copyright quite vigourously. Even if you don't get caught, there's always a chance.

Could your project be considered...
    Yesterday, 11:46 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Education consultancy logo
    Buda
    I prefer the first design concept, it just needs a bit more style to get it looking less generic.

This one's wings look like deformed human hands.
    Yesterday, 11:43 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caricatures

Hey, any caricaturists out there? I did a bit last year at Pride, but I decided to get more into it this summer. I'm applying at this company that sets up at the zoo and parks around town, so I'm working my way through "Face Off: Draw Amazing Caricatures & Comic Portraits" by Harry Hamernik and doing some sketching on my own. Probably set up shop on the walking mall here in Boulder, CO.

Anyone that's been doing this awhile? Tips? Tricks? Advice? The caricature conventions I've glanced at online seem pretty fun.

And, here's a shot of some of my practice work so far. Fun times. I'll definitely post some 'real' caricatures - drawing from a book or photos is so NOT the same thing as a live model.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Wow, great job MS!! I love 'em.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Those are adorable ... well done!

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

These are great, you do a good job of capturing personality. Would love to see the real life attempts when you do them.

Comment

Very nice job!

Just so you know, that doesn't mean I like it. As a matter of fact, I hate that style of drawing. In fact, I would rip those into shreds if I drew them.
          You just did a nice job.

I don't know why I hats it so much, but I just can't stand it!

Comment

Ha, no worries, RKS, to each their own I guess. I think they're fun - I like finding those sometimes subtle things that make people individuals and recognizable. It can be insulting if you're not careful, but I've found it's always pretty popular at parties and whatnot.

Comment

So, I've done a few (dozen) caricatures over the past week and a half. I obviously still need work - on coloring especially - but I definitely feel like I've been learning a lot. I'm trying to get my lines cleaner, the likeness spot on, and I need to keep the composition in mind (I have a tendency to place them too high on the page and hit the top of the page), etc.

We had our first big public performance on Friday - free caricatures and face-painting for anyone who wanted one. My first real work will be on Sunday - I'll be working the whole day with just a few other artists. I'm excited and nervous, but mostly excited!

These were some of my fellow artists:

Arlan

David

Aaron

Brandon

I'm also trying to get my time down under 5 minutes if I can. These each took about 8-10 minutes for the black and white lines - about 13 total with color.

Comment

nice job. you did the ones the artists are each holding? or did they do themselves?

Overall they fit the look of that style. Funny thing is that style seems almost all the same all over where caricatures are done. I think a few look a tad "off" but, like the last one, looks like the curved head was lopped off from starting too high.

but great job and good to get the real-life people and drawings too.
                Dribbble Page
                Behance Portfolio
                Linkedin Profile

Comment

Micro— These are well done! There is a touch of Mort Drucker's style in your work and that's about the best compliment I can offer!
                  http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

I don't like the style either, but regardless I can appreciate that you're darned good at it.

Comment

Well done!

I love Aaron...that grin is hysterical

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Microswede, great job. I love Caricature, and you've really captured the essence of these guys! I hope to see more of your work.
                        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Nice job Micro!

blog/portfolio

Comment

Hey, friends, just thought I'd put up a few more recent drawings. It has been a fun summer/fall of caricaturing, and I can definitely see some improvement in my work over the months. I'm still at the Denver Zoo and elsewhere in Denver, and have been commissioned to do two separate Christmas cards for folks (one being my roommate which will include me and her and our two cats, lol). It's the slow season now, so I'm looking forward to getting back into it more in the spring/summer.

I have about a million photos of these, so I'll just upload a few, ending with my most recent. If I ever get around to doing another photo dump, I'll be sure to post some here.

I asked the adults if it was cool to post their pics on my portfolio and such - they pretty much all said it was cool - and the parents of the kids, but have decided to crop out photos of the kids themselves. Hard to compare likeness, but trust me, it's spot on. lol

I'm trying to decide if I have a style emerging of my own, or if they just look like any other caricaturist. I'm told I tend to focus on eyes and mouths, which I could agree with. I think I'll work on some more extreme stuff too - push myself past just making cute likenesses. lol

Comment

nice work Microswede!
                              ... I'm properly impressed, caricatures are a b*tch, I won't touch them!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X