X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illo crit...why not?

So, there was some speculation about whether there would be illustrations for criticism in this forum, so I figured, I'd upload this and see what happens (moderators, move at your discretion).

This is mostly a personal project, it comes from a local publication, and I thought I'd try and make a picture based on what I would do if I were illustrating this particular article.

It deals with Angus King, former governor of Maine, who is now running for the Senate seat being vacated by Olympia Snowe. The gist of the article is that King likes to portray himself as a folksy, eco-oriented progressive business type, but is really just a run-of-the-mill businessman who has the usual weakness for "big ideas," that often end up as washouts, but has consistently landed him on the boards of many ventures and garnered him quite a bit of personal wealth. His latest venture is in a company trying to bring wind power farms to Maine. I don't expect anyone will want to read the full article, but here it is anyway.

So, this is a sort of portfolio "how I wudda dun it" piece. I'm curious how traditional design crit will translate, so, feel free, I'm open to how this might be done better.

It was originally meant to have a caption: "No, Sancho, it is a giant; a big, friendly, profitable giant who will bring jobs and economic prosperity to the people of Maine." But I thought that might be too laborious.

People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
    -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Aha! Somewhere I can be of use. (fine art is my background). I think it's a nice overall illustration. I never had the patience for all the details so kudos on the details. Two small things I noticed. The guy pointing looks like he has a nose on his forehead. I know it's supposed to be an eyebrow and a furrow and some wrinkle but all I see is another face on his face. The second guy has something by his head and I can't figure it out. Is it a hand? I am on my phone so it only can get so big for me to see. So maybe I just can't see what it is.

I looked at it again and noticed that his face is really yellow. You have the highlights of yellow on the front of everything which I quite like but he is turned away from the front and the other guy I looking forward has no yellow on his face.

I feel weird critiquing as I'm not one to usually speak up on anything and I'm also waiting for the NyQuil to kick in so if I'm wrong, I'm sorry for wasting your time with my nonsense. I hope it does make sense.

Edit: whoops. I see some yellow on the other guys face when I really zoom in but it's hard to see for me.
    Last edited by MadAmanda; 05-12-2012, 04:25 AM.

Comment

I like it Nobert. It's most definitely far more well done than the illustrations that accompany the original article. Conceptually, it's a great idea too Don Quixote (a.k.a. Angus King) pointing to wind turbines. It makes a very nice allegorical statement.

The only thing I'm not sold on is the red fever chart line. Visually, it overpowers and clashes just a bit, and it's, possibly, just one thing too many.

(I even read about half the article.)

Comment

If you wanted to emphasize his penchant for BIG ideas it seems to me there should be a few more windmills.

I'm having a little trouble with the horse's front right foot, as far as anatomy goes.

The value development on "Sancho's" back, as well as the horses bodies is particularly good. It gives a real life to the illustration.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
        Working...
        X